• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Pionus Diaries: The Max & Yoshi Story

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well I haven't been to the vets office in a long time but they probably do different things depending on the attitude of the bird. Nerd wasn't keen on dealing with people he didn't know and would sometimes try to get away and fight. I wish I had kept the pro level large gram scale I bought for 10 bucks at a garage sale but I was trying to weigh food with it and didn't even think it would have been great to weigh Nerd with back then. It was a hassle to do the conversion to oz way back before the net and smart phones.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good that Yoshi is gaining weight.

My vet is upscale. Her scale has a stainless steel basket attached. But she is an exotics vet. She works part time at a zoo and part time at the vet office.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I place Yoshi in the basket, and put the thng on the scale.. then substract the weight of the basket, etc.. simple, but it works :)

Yoshi ate banana’s! Nothing much, but. Tak eveything i can get :)

on that note. These days have been very rough :( i seem to be unable to get past my father’s dead, and as a result i have barely enough energy to get out of bed.. today when i was sitting on the couch suddenly Max came walking across the loor, climbed up my pants and just sat there for half an hour.. just.. sat.. no sounds, no movements.. jut sat! It felt really nice :) It was almost as if he was just enjoying the quiet time with me :heart: i certainly enjoyed!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Take care of yourself. If you have to get someone, or even hire someone, to care for the birds if its healthier:hug8:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I place Yoshi in the basket, and put the thng on the scale.. then substract the weight of the basket, etc.. simple, but it works :)

Yoshi ate banana’s! Nothing much, but. Tak eveything i can get :)

on that note. These days have been very rough :( i seem to be unable to get past my father’s dead, and as a result i have barely enough energy to get out of bed.. today when i was sitting on the couch suddenly Max came walking across the loor, climbed up my pants and just sat there for half an hour.. just.. sat.. no sounds, no movements.. jut sat! It felt really nice :) It was almost as if he was just enjoying the quiet time with me :heart: i certainly enjoyed!
He knows something is wrong and is quietly watching over you, feel blessed. All my Pionus I have had in my life would do that when they could tell I or another family member was sick or really upset. Nerd normally would want scritches and treats but when I was laying on the couch having kidney stone attacks or sick he would sit quietly by me and watch over me and nap. Lurch also would do it, Dobby hasn't really been around when one of us is really sick or upset where he could tell. They really are little emotion receptors and will be concerned about their chosen ones. :xflove: When my sister was recovering from a serious burn Nerd would sit with her all day quietly and Lurch did similar when she was recovering from dental work after we moved here. He loved me but liked hanging out with her in the kitchen and watching her do food stuff.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well today brought a suprising turn of events i did not see coming!

Max talks. I am not sure what he says because its not clear, but its clear enough to know its words, and not bird wistles.. so who knows!

Yoshi is gaining weight, not much, a few grams each week, but its nice to see progress none the less. Her feathers are still not good, but there is some sparkle returning! I hope to show some nice pics of her soon :)

AND... i have something to share! Nobody will believe it, even i dont believe it just yet!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I had my macbook on graigslist, and someone wanted to buy it..

So, i always look at someone’s profile to see if they have a good reputation etc. And i saw he had 2 Pionusses for sale. so as a joke (because the birds are worth more then the macbook) i said “i trade your birds for my macbook“ and he said “okay, when can i come?” .. So hes coming tomorrow or the day after :rofl:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I had my macbook on graigslist, and someone wanted to buy it..

So, i always look at someone’s profile to see if they have a good reputation etc. And i saw he had 2 Pionusses for sale. so as a joke (because the birds are worth more then the macbook) i said “i trade your birds for my macbook“ and he said “okay, when can i come?” .. So hes coming tomorrow or the day after :rofl:
Oh my! That is so cool! Do they have any names yet or is that yet to be decided? I can't wait for pictures!

Now I need a Macbook! :lol:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Officially, they dont have names.. i think they are breeder material, but i will find out later :) i’ll name them Banjo and Turo.. just not sure who gets what name, i’ll decide that when they are here and i can “feel” their vibe etc. :)

they come with vet papers and DNA papers, so i’ll see all that later today hopefully :) they go in quarantine in the birdroom, since Max and Yoshi are downstairs :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
They are seperated, but Max managed to still sneak in a peek :rofl:

the former owner found them to be too expensive, thats why he wanted to get rid of them.
Healthwise they where checked and sexed last summer, got a clean bill of health. Their weight is very good. They are not wild but not tame either.

The male is named Turo, he has no ring but they are both from 2016 i am told. The female has a ring from 2016. I named her Banjo.

soooooo.... there’s an exciting time ahead!

Attachments