• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Pionus Diaries: The Max & Yoshi Story

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt! I hope that longer days and better times are ahead for you all!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Checking in!

we still live :) though its been hard weeks. The birds are doing fine. I recently noticed they will act quiet when im around... but when i leave for work they start making noise and playing with their toys! BAH! Making me think they are lazy couch potatos, tssss :rofl:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Checking in!

we still live :) though its been hard weeks. The birds are doing fine. I recently noticed they will act quiet when im around... but when i leave for work they start making noise and playing with their toys! BAH! Making me think they are lazy couch potatos, tssss :rofl:
I thought about you. I was gonna ask how you were doing.:laugh:

Not to be of topic, but I just recently met a sweet little pionus at my nearest bird rescue. Such pretty feathers and gentle nature, she/he even let me pet their head. Glad to hear your feathered babies are doing good.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Checkin time again : ) so, as posted earlier, i have a new cage for the birds. And i noticed i have a hard time getting them out of it! They wont step up anymore, and they dont feel like comming out of it themselves either, most of the time.

Also, i noticed theres a lot of kissing going on. I havent seen any food yet, but they are such sneaky buggers! Do males do this too together? They are not DNA sexed (i care nothing for breeding) but they are supposed to be both men. I have nothing against homosexual birds really, im just curious :rofl:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Checkin time again : ) so, as posted earlier, i have a new cage for the birds. And i noticed i have a hard time getting them out of it! They wont step up anymore, and they dont feel like comming out of it themselves either, most of the time.

Also, i noticed theres a lot of kissing going on. I havent seen any food yet, but they are such sneaky buggers! Do males do this too together? They are not DNA sexed (i care nothing for breeding) but they are supposed to be both men. I have nothing against homosexual birds really, im just curious :rofl:
I think birds act on their own personal inclinations with whomever is around? :shrug3: I may be wrong, but I think this is why they sometimes mate-bond with humans. If a female (or two) were introduced, I'd think it would certainly change their dynamic.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sometimes birds form homosexual relationships even when females are present and available and there are hundreds of species including some insects who have been documented forming homosexual relationships in the wild. So I wouldn’t say it’s unlikely.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Look who got busted!! They go around pretending not to play.. But the moment i turn away, they sneek up on the toys!
I think im going to sell this cage and get a “normal” parrot cage. They wont come out of this one, its boring for me :)

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Looking good.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I’ve not been posting much the past year :(

between the death of my father (May 1) and the death of my dearly beloved aunt, (December 16) ive been swallowed up with trying to get the right help for my mom. She has a low IQ so she really needs help. You would think living in a country as the Netherlands, healthcare would be no problem. But i’m beginning to feel we are worse off then most African country’s. At least there you KNOW you’re on your own.

that said, i recently moved both parrots to a smaller cage into the livingroom. Some would think a smaller cage is worse, but i would argue different. The big cage they would not come out. Now they do.

AND... *drumroll* Max is starting to talk. We are not sure WHAT hes talking about, but hes definatly talking! I was truely shocked the first time we heard it.

Yesterday Max flew onto my leg (i was on the couch with my feet on the table.. dont tell mom!) and Turo suprised us by doing the same. He clearly suprised himself as well because he flew right back, but hey! Its a start! :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I’ve not been posting much the past year :(

between the death of my father (May 1) and the death of my dearly beloved aunt, (December 16) ive been swallowed up with trying to get the right help for my mom. She has a low IQ so she really needs help. You would think living in a country as the Netherlands, healthcare would be no problem. But i’m beginning to feel we are worse off then most African country’s. At least there you KNOW you’re on your own.

that said, i recently moved both parrots to a smaller cage into the livingroom. Some would think a smaller cage is worse, but i would argue different. The big cage they would not come out. Now they do.

AND... *drumroll* Max is starting to talk. We are not sure WHAT hes talking about, but hes definatly talking! I was truely shocked the first time we heard it.

Yesterday Max flew onto my leg (i was on the couch with my feet on the table.. dont tell mom!) and Turo suprised us by doing the same. He clearly suprised himself as well because he flew right back, but hey! Its a start! :)
Baby steps.