• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The pigeons

Rekillkos

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Toby Stephens
These were randomly picked, so hard to narrow it down to which pictures to post honestly. The colored pigeons were colored with food dye and water, it makes them much easier to spot when they’re out flying. I also wanted to see if it would deter hawks, and when they’re painted along their wings to distort their silhouettes it does actually work a little bit. Plus, it makes them super cute.
My two doves are in here too

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They are very cute.

The food dye makes me a little uncomfortable. Though all of your pigeons and doves are simply adorable. Are some of those helmet pigeons?

Rekillkos

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Toby Stephens
No helmets, the ones in the pictures are oriental frills, Catalonian tumblers, American racing homers, a few mutts, and bohemian pouters.

Jogging around the block
Very nice pigeons! I have always liked the Oriental frills, I'd probably have a pair or two if I could find them here

Do you race them?

Rekillkos

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Toby Stephens
I used to have a team of racing pigeons, they’ve all been either sold or retired now though. I’ve had a few messenger pigeons actually, I have a friend who lives about 10 miles away and they can fly to his house and back within a day no problem. Oriental frills can make great indoor birds even given that you have the space since they’re not too inclined to fly like some other breeds

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
I’ve had racing pigeons for about 40 years off and on. They are just pets and I take them for rides and let them stretch their wings! They are a wonderful bird but I think even in winter they like being outside. They can comfortably handle really cold as long as they have food and water and can get in out of the wind