• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The pair raised another clutch while the old baby is still in box

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am sorry but first you said you ‘found’ the babies in the nest, meaning you didn’t look very often. Then you say no one is abusing.

You can’t have it both ways. Either one is abusing the baby, and you don’t see it, or they aren’t because you watch all the time. Most likely one parent is caring for it and the other is picking on it.

Frankly if @Monica says one is abused then it is abused and they should be separated.

Is millet all you are feeding them?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Sorry I do not know much about handfeeding and breeding. I would take monica and zara's advice, I know zara has some experience with raising lovebirds :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I do recall helping you before, I just wasn't sure if all the information had been remembered. My apologies for repeating myself.

A chick that isn't fed properly would be stunted in size, but would still grow out all their feathers.

Here's one page which shows a chick at 25 days or 3 1/2 weeks old with more feathers than your 2 month old chick

More chicks, still a lot of pins, tail feathers growing out... but again, the feathers around the head/neck/back are all there

This page shows chicks up to 6 weeks old... and completely feathered

I hope you can see where I'm drawing concern when I see a chick that's 2 months old (or about 8 weeks old) and not fully feathered.

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
I am sorry but first you said you ‘found’ the babies in the nest, meaning you didn’t look very often. Then you say no one is abusing.

You can’t have it both ways. Either one is abusing the baby, and you don’t see it, or they aren’t because you watch all the time. Most likely one parent is caring for it and the other is picking on it.

Frankly if @Monica says one is abused then it is abused and they should be separated.

Is millet all you are feeding them?
No not just millet...
i offer them many things...
Different soaked pulses, boiled rice, fresh green veggies, and some time nuts.

Secondly the older baby is outside from yesterday and I didn’t not saw any one abusing... may b one of parent did not abuse outside of the box but may be abuse inside... as per u say...

Yeah i admit I didn’t check often in that time... because I didn’t saw them mating again so I didn’t expect new eggs and babies....
but now i check frequently and unfortunately I didn’t saw any one abusing uptill now.... but i will check again and again and seperate if needed...

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
I do recall helping you before, I just wasn't sure if all the information had been remembered. My apologies for repeating myself.

A chick that isn't fed properly would be stunted in size, but would still grow out all their feathers.

Here's one page which shows a chick at 25 days or 3 1/2 weeks old with more feathers than your 2 month old chick

More chicks, still a lot of pins, tail feathers growing out... but again, the feathers around the head/neck/back are all there

This page shows chicks up to 6 weeks old... and completely feathered

I hope you can see where I'm drawing concern when I see a chick that's 2 months old (or about 8 weeks old) and not fully feathered.
No need to apologise dear.... i will check strictly and do seperate the parents... is there any other cause than abusing..??? I didn’t find one plucking till now so mau be there is some other cause..... do you have any idea.??

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
@Zara @Monica @finchly
From today early morning there was just 2 dishes of food on bottom of cage... one have mix seed and other one have soaked lentils... i removed the food box from perch today just to observe if something is wrong... parents and older chick are eating together from both dishes at bottom of cage.... I didn’t see any thing unusual till now.... i am still thinking of any other cause of missed feathers but did not figure out yet....

Pour some possibilities...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pour some possibilities...
I am not well versed in Tiels, So I also take Monicas word on the missing feathers. Here is a thought.

You had chicks in there that were 5 days old, meaning you hadn´t checked the nest box in 6 days at least. It is possible that when the eggs started pipping and hatching, the parents abused the elder chick, plucking her to push her out of the box out of the way.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
As a side note, there really is no reason some breeding principles shouldnt be used on birds even if they dont have pedigrees to research for breeding.

Just as unhealthy parent shouldnt breed, parents who display undesired behaviour like bad parenting shouldnt be breed.

And not feeding the chicks is bad parenting skills, independant of wheter one or both also picks on the chicks. When you had several clutches you had to take over care for, there is no reason this pair should continue producing (it sometimes happens once for this or that reason an animal will reject an offspring, but multiple times is a pattern).

The only way to get healthier more well adjusted animals is following some key rules for animal breeding.

And those can be summed up as such, and chronologicaly in importance.
1. Good health
2. Display good behavior and skills for the species/breed
3. Looks, because build and looks to a certain degree plays a rolle in how the animal function.