• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The pair raised another clutch while the old baby is still in box

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
@Zara @Monica @Ripshod

Here is the question for another pair if you guys remember me and my question, i asked somedays ago(for white pair)

This is grey pair....
they lay eggs but raised only 1 baby.... the baby is still in the box..... there is one thing i need to tell that the parents did not feed their baby well as their first clutch with me was the same.... so after 2 months I pulled out the baby from box and allow him to self feed... the baby feed well so i did not put it again in the box.... after that they again lay but raised one as i tell above.... I checked the box many days ago the baby was fine but did not grow properly due to insufficient food from parents.... the weather was cold also so i decided to pull him out after a month.... so when today i open the box to pull him out i got a big surprise.... i saw another 3 little babies.... just look like 5-6 days old.... the older one is still inside along with 3 new....
so should i pull the older one out now...????

Honestly i decided to remove the box after getting him out today.... but i saw another 3....

What is the best option for now..???

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pull the older chick.
Once these new chicks grow up, get rid of the nest box and just stop. Give the birds a rest for laying and raising babies. They need to recover well.

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
Pull the older chick.
Once these new chicks grow up, get rid of the nest box and just stop. Give the birds a rest for laying and raising babies. They need to recover well.
Yes obviously i did the same.... as i told before today i decided to remove the box but unexpectedly i found another little cute 3 babies and one unhatched egg till now... may b the fourth one will hatch in a day or two

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
These eggs should have been switched (for fakes or boiled) after they were laid if there was still a chick in the nest box.
It´s also important to at least peak into the nest box daily.

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
These eggs should have been switched (for fakes or boiled) after they were laid if there was still a chick in the nest box.
It´s also important to at least peak into the nest box daily.
Ok... now i will daily check... the weather was cold so that’s why I didn’t pulled the older... and also in that period i did not saw the pair mating.... so i think all is well inside because the chirping i hear from inside the box make me calm and I didn’t open the box in that time.... but now i check daily

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a brooder and heat pad for the older chick?
how old is he? Do you have a picture¿

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
No
Do you have a brooder and heat pad for the older chick?
how old is he? Do you have a picture¿
I didn’t not have brooder and heat pad...
he is of 2 months for sure... i will upload the pic tomorrow because there is night now and birds are sleeping

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m not sure what country you are in. But if you can order a brooder and heat pad, that would be very wise. If the hen gets tired and abandons the nest, those new chicks will need warmth. If there are shops open you could visit great, if not, maybe online.

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
May
No

I didn’t not have brooder and heat pad...
he is of 2 months for sure... i will upload the pic tomorrow because there is night now and birds are sleeping
may bei
I´m not sure what country you are in. But if you can order a brooder and heat pad, that would be very wise. If the hen gets tired and abandons the nest, those new chicks will need warmth. If there are shops open you could visit great, if not, maybe online.
[/QUOTE
i am in Pakistan... as from covid-19 all markets are closed... ok i will see online and order

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We also have vry strict closures, but pet shops selling food are allowed to stay open. Are they allowed in Pakistan too? Maybe call one up and ask if they have those things. Also buy some formula, just in case! There was another member very recently (possibly in India, but I don´t remember well) who was having trouble sourcing formula.
If the shop is closed, then see what you can find online :)

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
All shops are closed here... pet feed available in some stores and they are allowed to open for short time...
i have formula feed but i will seek for haet pad

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
@Zara
Have a look dear....
first pic is with all babies inside the box...

Next two are with fresh bedding along with just new babies...

Last two pics are of parents and older baby at bottom of the cage....

May the baby feed well on its own now....

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would take the older chick to a new cage, being sure the room is warm.
I am no expert, but I would worry they may try to care for the older chick and forget about the little ones or get confused.

@Mockinbirdiva @Monica @Tara81 @finchly

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
I would take the older chick to a new cage, being sure the room is warm.
I am no expert, but I would worry they may try to care for the older chick and forget about the little ones or get confused.

@Mockinbirdiva @Monica @Tara81 @finchly
Another opinions are more than welcome from other members...
i am continuously watching them... parents go inside as usual... if i found any thing un-usual i will move the older baby to thr new cage

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
I also provide one extra tray of millet on bottom of the cage as shown in the pic for baby...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The older chick is a female. I can also see that at least one of the parents has been abusing the chick.

I would recommend removing the older chick as soon as possible. If the chick is weaned, all the better! If the chick is not, then try and figure out which parent is abusing the chick(s) and remove that parent from the equation, then offer supplemental handfeeding to the remaining chicks.

If both parents are, you should separate the chicks as soon as they are old enough for handfeeding and separate the parents/stop breeding immediately.

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
The older chick is a female. I can also see that at least one of the parents has been abusing the chick.

I would recommend removing the older chick as soon as possible. If the chick is weaned, all the better! If the chick is not, then try and figure out which parent is abusing the chick(s) and remove that parent from the equation, then offer supplemental handfeeding to the remaining chicks.

If both parents are, you should separate the chicks as soon as they are old enough for handfeeding and separate the parents/stop breeding immediately.
@Monica

No dear no one is abusing... both take care of their babies... the problem is that they did not feed well their babies.... their first clutch was also the same... in their first clutch there was two babies... they feed just one and other was die

Now from second clutch only one was hatch and the problem was same that they did not feed her properly thats why feathers did not grow properly... i discuss the same problem with their first clutch over here with you... may be you forgot....

I decided to remove the box but un expectedly i found 3 new babies along with one old....

But this is last... now I won’t allow them to lay eggs again :meh::(

Last edited:

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
@Monica
From their first clutch you told me that baby was female... and yes you were right... the baby from first clutch was female and now she is bonded with her neighbor’s son. :swoon: :swoon::heart:

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Improper feeding wouldn't result in missing feathers on back of head and the back... which are common areas for the parents, or a parent, to pluck.

Hina imran

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hina imran
Ok i
Improper feeding wouldn't result in missing feathers on back of head and the back... which are common areas for the parents, or a parent, to pluck.
ok i will check if one is abusing or not.... then updated you