• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The oldest conure on A.A? Give the age of your conures !

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Hes' adorable! We don't see many of his species around!
Thank you!!

I noticed when I tried to do some research and I was told they're not too common as pets!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you speak with any breeders who are familiar with RTC's, a lot of them will actually recommend putting him in a breeding program because they are so uncommon as pets....

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
If you speak with any breeders who are familiar with RTC's, a lot of them will actually recommend putting him in a breeding program because they are so uncommon as pets....
What's so strange is when I used to actually look up any bird breeders in Hawaii (most of them are on different islands too. Like Maui, Kaua'i, & Big Island) and I don't ever recall seeing a RTC breeder.... hmmm it's such a shame the shelter didn't have too much info on his history but they did tell me that he was with his owner for 27 years...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I know of a breeder in California, but I don't know if he's been breeding them for that long. I'm sure there's probably at least one in Florida. Jayde came from a breeder in Ohio.

Does his band say anything? Or has it been worn off?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I'm adopting a GCC soon, and she's 8 :)

Lszumlic

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Leslie Szumlic
Hi, My Sun Conure is 33 years old! He was hatched at PetLand the end of Dec. 1983, I got him the end of March 1984. He is getting very old.. He was great until the beginning of Aug. I was gone for a week when my dad passed away.. He was a mess when I returned.. ( my husband just feeds him.. nothing more.. :( ) He is still a very happy bird.. just has a weak grip & loses his balance.. :'(
I redid some things in his cage last night.. a thinner perch.. but he still doesn't seem to like it.. & a thinner ladder that he does use .. not as a ladder but as a structure to hold onto. when he is moving from his food dish to another spot in his cage.. Any tips for elderly Sun Conures? Thanks!

Lszumlic

Real Name
Leslie Szumlic
Bobby Redsocks (or just Bobby) is a rescued bird my mom rescued from a young couple where the guy was threatening to release Bobby because of her yelling for attention. That was in 1987 and we think she was 2 or 3 years old THEN!!

That makes her about 30 years old!!! Oldest Nanday on AA!! Go Bobby! She is still cuddly, a great climber and champion cardboard box chewer!

This pic is already 5 years old and she still looks the same! Perfect plumage!

View attachment 215532
Hi! Is your conure still alive? I think our birds are about the same age.. My bird was 3 in 1987! I see that you have not returned for a couple of years.. So I am hoping you reconnect.. Would love to talk about elderly Conures!

Lszumlic

Real Name
Leslie Szumlic
My sister in law's blue crown conure lived to be 33 years old. Her cockatiel lived to be 35 years old. Amazing!
Hi! My Sun Conure is 33.. I want him to stay around awhile longer. & i'm looking for tips to help an elderly Conure have a good quality of life for as long as I can keep him healthy! Have had him for 33 years! <3

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I have a few elderly finches if that helps... I've added in a very small heater on one corner of the cage, as heat always helps with supportive care (unless the little guy has a fever, or you're in an area with hot temps). Just make sure he can easily go away from it!

I'd make food and water closer to his favorite perch as well... just to make his travel to eat as easy as possible.

Maybe a platform perch would help as well?

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
My GCC, Cookie, will be 11 this November :)

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, My Sun Conure is 33 years old! He was hatched at PetLand the end of Dec. 1983, I got him the end of March 1984. He is getting very old.. He was great until the beginning of Aug. I was gone for a week when my dad passed away.. He was a mess when I returned.. ( my husband just feeds him.. nothing more.. :( ) He is still a very happy bird.. just has a weak grip & loses his balance.. :'(
I redid some things in his cage last night.. a thinner perch.. but he still doesn't seem to like it.. & a thinner ladder that he does use .. not as a ladder but as a structure to hold onto. when he is moving from his food dish to another spot in his cage.. Any tips for elderly Sun Conures? Thanks!
Would a few platform perches strategically placed at favourite resting places help him, as well as at food & warmer stations. Also, rope perches might help him too

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Lszumlic Your bird sounds very sweet. I would not just use a thin perch. It actually may be harder for him to balance. He likely has arthritis. Instead, I would try a variety of different sized natural branch perches and also sisal or rope perches. I would also add a platform perch. Do NOT use dowel perches. THese are very hard on birds feet, and would be uncomfortable for an older bird. It is difficult for them to balance on a perfectly round perch.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Blue Crown (Wasabi) is 15. My little girl Green Cheek (Nibbles) is almost 7 months old. The Suns are 4 or 5 I think.

avian magnet

Real Name
philip chandler
my bud boo boo is 20 and flying .though his fornication years seem to be behind him. he is still top dawg,and rules the roost. Have the boo and gang on la faebers bird baths 20 by 20 room with an 12 by 6 flight.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I thought when I got my gccs that they were 15 year birbs and now y'all scaring me
Jak turns 8 next month. Her bird just started laying eggs last month at age 7. Idris comes in last at 6.

Greencheek Lee

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Bailey will be 13 in November and I'll be testing adopting another GCC who's already 13.

EBP

Moving in
"Hen" is 30 years old. We purchased Hen in 1988, I still have the sales receipt. I don't know gender, always referred to Hen as she, but more than likely a male. Hen loves to hang out in boxes and has never laid an egg. Because of this, my Vet believes Hen is male. Hen has never been sick one day! I am truly blessed as Hen has brought so much joy, laughter and companionship to my life.

Attachments