• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures The New Budgie

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The new budgie! Coming on August 22nd!

(He's still being handfed) Photo:
20190803_123338.jpg

Some Questions I have:

1. Do I need to quarentine it? (He's from the same store as Kiwi)

2. What do I do if it's a female?

3. How soon should I introduce Kiwi and Newbie? (I will call it Newbie until we choose a name)

4. Any name sugestions? (leaning towards: Blizzard, Slate, Blue Raspberry)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
1. yes
2. it makes no difference, as long as your birds like each other. If you are refering to unwanted breeding, just be sure to remove any eggs in the future.
3. once out of quarantine, place the cages in the same room, opposite sides. Move them a metre closer each day until one day they will be next to each other, always leave a good 10cm between cages. When they are in the same room, you can let them have out of cage time together while you are there to supervise :)
4. I also like Blizzard

Such a beautiful bird! He looks so silver! ❤

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Such a beautiful bird! He looks so silver! ❤
He's* a bit more blue in person!

1. yes
2. it makes no difference, as long as your birds like each other. If you are refering to unwanted breeding, just be sure to remove any eggs in the future.
3. once out of quarantine, place the cages in the same room, opposite sides. Move them a metre closer each day until one day they will be next to each other, always leave a good 10cm between cages. When they are in the same room, you can let them have out of cage time together while you are there to supervise :)
Thanks!

4. I also like Blizzard
I'll tell my brother that people like blizzard because the name is mainly his decision this time! (Kiwi's name was my decision)

*EDIT: he/she (We're going to get a DNA test)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Lady Jane

Can you help sex my new budgie?

If the photo's not clear enough I'll try to find a clearer photo.

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Congratulations Kiwi's Mom! He/she is adorable!:starshower::starshower1:I also really like Blizzard as a name potential for your new addition!:)

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
:congrats5:on the new addition to the family! :starshower1:I gotta agree with everyone else that Blizzard is such a good name for him/her! So cute!!!:heart2:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Congratulations! They're super cute. I know my parrot shop is always soooo loud!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Aaaw, she's so cute. Yep, SHE! You ARE aware that she's a mature bird, >5 months?
As @Zara pointed out just remove any eggs that are produced. And Blizzard is a wonderful name, I'm sure she'll live up to it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You could be right, the black tip to the beak is a sign of a young bird, but the barring on the head has also receded which to me is a sign of an older bird. This also looks like an English Budgie (has the 'floof' already) so will be much larger than Kiwi.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
1. Do I need to quarentine it? (He's from the same store as Kiwi)

Yes you need to quarantine as the bird may have come from different parents and different breeder.

2. What do I do if it's a female?

Why would you treat a female differently than a male?

3. How soon should I introduce Kiwi and Newbie? (I will call it Newbie until we choose a name)

After the quarantine period if over - in 30 days.

4. Any name sugestions? (leaning towards: Blizzard, Slate, Blue Raspberry)

I suggest you have an avian vet to take your bird(s) to for wellness checks and or any emergencies.
Have you bird proofed a room where the birds can safely fly?

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Soo cute!! Congrats! :bounce7:
I also like the name Blizzard (Blizz)
But Blue Razz works too since Kiwi/Raspberries are both fruits ;)

Such a cute birb, I’m not sure about anything other than my own EB but Loki was hatched on 4/25 (I know this as we visited the birds a few times before picking) and his bars looked pretty light by 3 months. I was just thinking because they’re so “floofy” they’re just not as obvious maybe? But if you look closely they are there. Loki’s were there but much lighter than Jo’s were. The attached pic is from a couple weeks ago so he’s not quite 3 months...

And yep Loki is bigger than Jo even being the younger bird but in my experience since Loki is much calmer it works well. If My hyper little Australian parakeet was the bigger one then we might have problems lol Everything I’d read beforehand said EB’s are calmer than parakeets and in our case that is very true:)
Good luck, can’t wait to watch the baby grow and see them and Kiwi together :heart:

Attachments

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yes, s/he is beautiful, I had to go full screen in the video to see the barring but it is there. I'm thinking she as well but I'm no expert.