• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures The New Budgie

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Lol that’s what my son always says. He said I need to change the way it’s spelled to Low key :wacky: my mother in law calls Jojo “Dodo” bird :cautious:
:bored: Mean people alert!!! :jawdrop1: Who are those people surrounding you??! Don't they know insulting our birds is like insulting our babies?! :rpg10:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Abundance weaning. Leaving plenty of different types of food around for them to discover, and eat. Formula can be a part of the weaning, they learn that they don't have to be fed.
Wow, thanks for the explanation, I had no idea about that!

There is a bedroom, but my school year starts on the 27th so it will be alone for at least 6 hours a day :(
Will Kiwi also be alone 6 hours a day after you start school? My birds are alone when I'm at work and that's just how it is here, best to get the drill as soon as they arrive home. If they get the idea that you are here all day and suddenly you are not, they won't understand. So even if I'm home, Pichu gets out at the same time and as long as the other days while he is in quarantine. He was very frustrated at the beginning, he probably had more time out where he was before, but now he is OK with it.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
:bored: Mean people alert!!! :jawdrop1: Who are those people surrounding you??! Don't they know insulting our birds is like insulting our babies?! :rpg10:
Lol yep I’ve told her. I’ve also told her they don’t like it when she comes in talking all loud- get this: when Jo was still very young and I got him his 1st bath, she came over and literally shook the cage to get the water to move :shake: I was like “WHAT are you doing!??” I mean come on, 5 year olds know not to do crap like that. But I’m the daughter in law, so clearly I can’t know something that she doesn’t :mad2:

I have a diliemma coming up too, I could use some advice on please!

Tomorrow night me and my family are going to see WWE downtown (we got free box tickets cuz we use PPG paints for our company and they own the arena. NICE!) anyway, we won’t be back until around midnight. I have a night routine with the birds- EVERY night I sing to them etc before tucking them in. My mother in law lives right down the street -yes I know I’m a lucky girl :tmsmakesme:.

I was thinking of asking her to come over and tuck them in butttt...
1. They hate her (see bath story above lol) every time she comes over it’s just obvious they don’t like her
2. The one other time I wasn’t home for bedtime I asked her to tuck them in. When I told her to sing a lullaby she laughed at me. So I don’t really know if asking her to come will help at all?

But I feel like they need someone to at least come over and tell them goodnight :(

Sorry for hijacking the thread! I was gonna make a separate post asking about this, but since the topic of my loving in-laws has come up...what would you guys do?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tell them goodnight and sing before you leave.

If the birds don´t like your MIL nor does she do the fun bedtime ritual, then there´s no point her coming around to stress them out.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Tell them goodnight and sing before you leave.

If the birds don´t like your MIL nor does she do the fun bedtime ritual, then there´s no point her coming around to stress them out.
I thought about that but we’re leaving around 5pm. They go to bed between 8 and 9..I was thinking of just having the room setup like I do for nighttime and doing the singing etc but they’ll probably be confused..at least until they realize I’m not there at bedtime. :idea2:

I think you just answered my question, thank you! They’d surely rather have that then to have an “unwanted visitor”!
Thank you :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
since the topic of my loving in-laws has come up...what would you guys do?
Sounds like your relationship with your mother in law is wonderful :D
When I have to do something in the evening, I just leave the light on if it is too early to say good night when I leave. They go to bed on their own and manage without the lullaby ;) When I come home I just shut the light and cover them without talking since it is night already.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You could cover only the 1/3 part of the cage where they usually sleep, then they'll feel protected and have some darker place to go when they feel sleepy.

BTW, it's already Monday here, talk to you tomorrow!! Have a nice evening.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sometimes in the summer I have beach day on the west coast and I´m not here for bed time.
I leave the lights off and the curtains open and let them sleep when the sun goes down. When I arrive home, I sneak in and drop the shutter (to block the morning sun).
I say goodnight to my birds often, but not everynight to avoid the disruption to the routine :)

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Sounds like your relationship with your mother in law is wonderful :D
When I have to do something in the evening, I just leave the light on if it is too early to say good night when I leave. They go to bed on their own and manage without the lullaby ;) When I come home I just shut the light and cover them without talking since it is night already.
I do love the MIL, but I’d like to have some more distance between us :laugh: another reason I want to move!

I did exactly as you did once when it was just Jo. We had my nieces graduation and didn’t get home until around 9:45. I was expecting Jo to be asleep...but nope! S/he was up in the corner of the cage with feet on the bars (Jo never sleeps like that) just staring at me when I got home like ”Really lady?? Did you forget about me?”
That’s the reason I was worried about nobody telling them goodnight tomorrow. But at least now they have each other, so hopefully they won’t be too mad at me lol

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
You could cover only the 1/3 part of the cage where they usually sleep, then they'll feel protected and have some darker place to go when they feel sleepy.

BTW, it's already Monday here, talk to you tomorrow!! Have a nice evening.
Nite! Thanks for the help :)

Sometimes in the summer I have beach day on the west coast and I´m not here for bed time.
I leave the lights off and the curtains open and let them sleep when the sun goes down. When I arrive home, I sneak in and drop the shutter (to block the morning sun).
I say goodnight to my birds often, but not everynight to avoid the disruption to the routine :)
That is good thinking!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
awww @JoJo&Loki , I understand where you are coming from but just think how much they more they will appreciate you when you get them up. I felt the same about having my daughter take Sam for a few days while hubby and I take a 3 day trip to Victoria, Canada. Well actually Sam has taken to both my daughter and granddaughter but they have a big, lovable 100 lb. chocolate lab that is most curious about this enlarged mosquito. Well, will trust that Sam will muddle though and perhaps tell off the large brown drool bucket. I trust that my granddaughter will protect Sam though...(who really needs no protecting).

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
The new budgie! Coming on August 22nd!

Wow - precious baby! Did you decide on a name yet? I like the nickname Blizz too.

we won’t be back until around midnight. I have a night routine with the birds- EVERY night I sing to them etc before tucking them in.

Oh my gosh Kelly, this cracks me up so bad! I will be laughing all day at us crazy bird folks here!
P.S. Mine are getting pretty tired of 'Twinkle Twinkle little star' at night... so I might change to 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' for a bit!
:heart::rofl:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine are getting pretty tired of 'Twinkle Twinkle little star' at night... so I might change to 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' for a bit!
:dead::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: omg I´m dying! :rofl::rofl::rofl: that´s so funny, adorable and sweet all at once!!!:hug8:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
:roflmao: Hmmm I may switch up to Twinkle twinkle! :)
Mine are probably sick of “Lullaby and goodnight, go to sleep mommy’s babies...” Yes, I’ve been told I am a crazy bird lady lol
But then again, they instantly get relaxed when I start, lifting the one leg and closing their eyes, so I may not change a thing! It’s not us that are crazy, nope! It’s the people that think we are crazy that are crazy :laugh:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
omg I´m dying! :rofl::rofl::rofl: that´s so funny, adorable and sweet all at once!!!
Heee heeee - gotta keep those songs fresh you know? When they don't even LOOK at you before bedtime and are so busy preening not paying you ONE bit of attention, it sends the distinct message that my song has gone flat!

It’s not us that are crazy, nope! It’s the people that think we are crazy that are crazy :laugh:

OH I SO agree!!! :heart:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
P.S. Mine are getting pretty tired of 'Twinkle Twinkle little star' at night... so I might change to 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' for a bit!
:heart::rofl:
:roflmao: Hmmm I may switch up to Twinkle twinkle! :)
Mine are probably sick of “Lullaby and goodnight, go to sleep mommy’s babies...”
Maybe we should start a thread with lullabies for birdies... :chin:
You know, "top 10":cantsee:, "song of the week", "karaoke versions":sing:, "international lullabies" (Pichu gets Trollmor, in Norwegian!!), "lullabies for 2 voices" :choir: and "which one would you recommend for a lovebird":serenade:?

:coffeescreen: