• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The nest box is in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Lizzy and Stormy are now a little over a year old. And they have been well, doing the "nasty" for the past few weeks lol.

Mating them is something ive been debating for a while..it wasnt the reason i got a male and female. I had either wanted 2 males, or a male/female (so the females didnt fight)

Well when my mom heard about them going at it, she said i want one! You owe me one! (when i was about 12 i had stepped on our family lovie and killed it on accident
So she always said i owed her a hand tamed lovie)

Then Erics mom has been wanting 2 for a long time. Soo this means ive found a home for 3 of them already. Friends and Family they will be free (because i know where theyll be going and can check on them) and maybe later on ill sell them for a small fee..i dont know yet.

But i am super excited. I missed the baby birds so much (when i did tiels). And im just glad that i already have found homes for them!
So i made a nestbox, and put it in, but theyre terrified of it!! LOL. Theyve been climbing around it all day staring at it, but neither have tried to go in yet.

Theyre so funny. Ill keep you guys posted

Edit: also forgot to mention, i always let the parents do the raising. I do handfeed them here and there,and daily interact with them, but i think it keeps the parents, and the babies much happier having each other as they grow up. I cant imagine taking away the babies so young
This is how we use to do it with the tiels too and they were all sweethearts

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How exciting! Just make sure you have a brooder and formula on hand in case the parents decide to be mean to them. It happens oftener than I would have thought.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow really??? ohhhhh how exciting. PICS PICS PICS

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:
You will love it! But, I had a hard time giving away some babies when Sunkist had hers.:(
It is so much fun watching them grow and change. I pulled them from the nest after 2 weeks. Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Oh yes Ginger definately. Still have to get the brooder but I always have baby formula and syringes here. Habit since I bred the tiels I guess.

To be honest Marlene the only babies I ever raised with no parents were my doves at about 3 days old..I still can't believe they survived..and I didn't even have a brooder/incubater! I did it with a towel over them and a lamp! Just what I had lying around the house.

Did you find the parents get upset when you pulled them at 2 weeks? I forget how big they are at that age.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw that is awesome!! We definitely need pics!!

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
How exciting Jani! Can't wait to travel this road with you!

Marlene

Real Name
Marlene
Sunkist would be upset but the problem was that Batman wanted "out" and didn't want to help her anymore.:rolleyes:
She was fine a few days after I would pull them, but then wanted nothing to do with them. Here are some pictures of my babies at 2 weeks (give or take a day or so) when I pulled them.

Attachments

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Jani, you pretty much know my thoughts on doing this..but if your gonna do it,please make sure you have everything needed, brooder,proper formula ect.ect..make sure those babies get only the best of homes,do in home checks,there are tons of crazy people out there it's scary..xoxox

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Thanks Bridie :hug8: Ive pretty much found homes for the first batch (depending on how many they have) Who knows, i may even keep some :heart: lol

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Aw Marlene they are dolls. They didnt have the black on the beaks?

Marlene

Real Name
Marlene
You can't see it in the pictures, but yes. The green guys did have the black beaks. The lighter one did not.:D

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Sorry but I don't agree with breeding parrots and I most especially do not agree with breeding birds off-season or before they are two years old. I don't know if you live in the Northern Hemisphere but, if you do, at least wait until the natural breeding season so the babies have the benefit of sunlight because birds bred under artificial light end up with impaired vision.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Off season? They were the ones who indicated ready for breeding. I am in Arizona, and i had checked with several breeders on the lovie forums who said at least a year in age (which they are)

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Good luck Jani! I'm still hoping to find a male for Miss JB as she seems rather alone since Sherbert picked Kessie to be his gf...lol
The search goes on... I'll be watching with interest as I absolutely LOVE Stormy's colors!!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Good luck!! :dance4:

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Off season? They were the ones who indicated ready for breeding. I am in Arizona, and i had checked with several breeders on the lovie forums who said at least a year in age (which they are)
No, birds do not choose when to breed, only people do. It's a common misconception but the reality is that birds react to environmental factors that we, the caregivers, create for them. Namely, the number of light hours during the day and food availability. We give them the same food all year round (something that doesn't happen in nature) and we are the ones that turn on the artificial lights after the sun sets, creating a permanent spring for them. It's not them and it's not nature, it's us. But keeping them at a permanent spring is unnatural and dangerous because it screws up their endocrine system and your birds been in breeding condition in the middle of the winter is the proof. As to people telling you that one year old is OK, well, there is a lot of misinformation out there. People read that a lovebird is sexually mature at one year of age and assume that it's OK for them to start breeding right then and there but, if we went with that frame of mind, we would allow a 12 year old little girl who just got her period for the first time to get pregnant, and we would start breeding dogs at five months of age when the females go into heat for the first time. But we don't do that because we know it's not good for such a young girl or dog to have babies so soon so why do we think it's OK for birds?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli

Ignore that person she is good for swearing its off season.

sorry but if the birds mate on their own free will Then it must be the right time FOR THEM. who cares where we live, how we live they want to mate they'll mate

Congrats - Lovebird babies are so cute, Much smaller than tiel babies :D but I pull mine at 3 weeks old so they get all the needed nutrients from the parents , crop milk etc.

can't wait to see your lil' ones

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
No, birds do not choose when to breed, only people do. It's a common misconception but the reality is that birds react to environmental factors that we, the caregivers, create for them. Namely, the number of light hours during the day and food availability. We give them the same food all year round (something that doesn't happen in nature) and we are the ones that turn on the artificial lights after the sun sets, creating a permanent spring for them. It's not them and it's not nature, it's us. But keeping them at a permanent spring is unnatural and dangerous because it screws up their endocrine system and your birds been in breeding condition in the middle of the winter is the proof. As to people telling you that one year old is OK, well, there is a lot of misinformation out there. People read that a lovebird is sexually mature at one year of age and assume that it's OK for them to start breeding right then and there but, if we went with that frame of mind, we would allow a 12 year old little girl who just got her period for the first time to get pregnant, and we would start breeding dogs at five months of age when the females go into heat for the first time. But we don't do that because we know it's not good for such a young girl or dog to have babies so soon so why do we think it's OK for birds?

you know you did this same crud on the other forum Stop bashing people If our birds breed They breed , step down off your high horse and just zip it

birds WILL MATE EVEN WHEN GIVEN NOTHING TO MAKE A NEST OUT OF so it happens lay off stop degrading people because we allow our birds to MATE WHEN THEY CHOOSE TO

Status
Not open for further replies.