• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The mystery of mini-macaw lifespan

InTex

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kalpana Ramakrishna
I have seen that some earlier posts have discussed the lifespan of macaws. But I would like to focus on miniature-macaws (hahns, yellow-collars, severe, etc).

My yellow collared mini-macaw (really, I had a YCM) recently passed away at the age of 30 years and 5 months.

Most web sites I've read quote a lifespan for mini-macaws as 20-30 years. My avian veterinarian told me "into the 20s".

BUT, I have found a few web sites which quote 30-50 for mini-macaws. I think these sites may be confusing minis with their larger cousins. But I don't know for sure. And I'd like to know the truth.

So, I'm asking this group whose experience far exceeds my own. Have any of you owned or encountered mini-macaws that lived (or are living) much beyond 30 years?

I appreciate your responses.
So sorry for your loss. My yellow collar macaw turns 30 in August. Keeling my fingers crossed. He has been a little less active in the last couple years but otherwise seems well

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Its tragic to hear that you lost your little one. I don't think you are going to find a definitive answer, there are just to many variables, genetics, nutrition, lifestyle, health care and so on. I have always read 30-50 years for the mini macaws. On Dr. Clubbs website she states - Life Span – Unknown but probably up to 30-40 years. She says the same for all three of my mini macaws.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
My Hahn's passed away very suddenly at 22. She was active and not showing any obvious signs of aging, but she did have underlying heart disease and a possible reproductive mass. I was certainly hoping she would be with me until at least 30.

(Meanwhile, I have a Blue Crowned Conure who is an age outlier at 36 years old!) :shrug:

jb_avenue

Moving in
So sorry for your loss. My yellow collar macaw turns 30 in August. Keeling my fingers crossed. He has been a little less active in the last couple years but otherwise seems well
Yeah, that was my impression of Chewy. She never did fly because of a birth defect. But she was still climbing up and down the cage and running around the apartment- even up to the day before she died.

Good luck with your friend.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So an average blue front is 37 years? Secret is beyond that and she's wild caught. I have a picture somewhere of her in 1978 in a prior home. Not sure how long she'd been there by that time or even in the country.