• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Lovebird Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
When I went to band the youngest, It had died

I don't know why It was fine - But I told my B/f I'm back on the look out for a new mate for the Male, if its not one thing with his female it's another. I know its not the male Doing anything because he has not been in the cage with her for weeks. Once the babies hatch, she goes hog wild and plucks him and does sever damage over night , it never fails he's perfectly feathered one day the next day all around his neck and in to his Shoulder blades is bald and he always has one huge sore spot on the top of his wing that bleeds until it heals So every time the babies start to hatch he's pulled out - BUT I never know when they'll hatch They don't consistently start to hatch at the 18 day mark. but since I"ve had her MOST of her babies die some times over night after they're born other times longer, This baby would of been 18 days old today (i normally band at 9 days but the band kept falling off these guys so they were all around 15 -18 days old when they were banded)

but here are the surviving 2 and they'll be pulled tomorrow night for hand feeding to start Thursday

but here they are

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Awww what cuties and look at those pinfeathers.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss. The remaining two are cute!

Matt

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw I am sorry about the baby. These two are adorable!

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Thanks guys
I really don't know why hers die - I don't know if she does it or what. But at one time I had 3 pairs set up breeding, she was the only one I lost most of the babies with. They're not 1st time parents. so i know thats not the problem. I've had them die with the others just not as much. and not past the 48 hr mark.

Jorg S.

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jorg S
Hi Kelli,
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Could it be that she is not feeding all of the bubs right.
I had a pair that did this and essentially some of the babies starved till I figured this out.
I then just pulled the oldest once after a few days and she did fine.
Just a thought.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
The two remaining are precious.

Kelli I am sorry to hear about the other wee one. Perhaps those parents are more prone to have babies that just aren't strong enough....

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Hi Kelli,
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Could it be that she is not feeding all of the bubs right.
I had a pair that did this and essentially some of the babies starved till I figured this out.
I then just pulled the oldest once after a few days and she did fine.
Just a thought.
I thought of that at first, but when ever i check they're always full even the ones who ended up dying over night after they were born were fed

The two remaining are precious.

Kelli I am sorry to hear about the other wee one. Perhaps those parents are more prone to have babies that just aren't strong enough....
That could be

the only thing I can think of is maybe she can't handle more than 3 babies at a time - when i got her all her eggs hatched but 1 she had 7 eggs, only 3 babies lived. 2nd time around all hatched she had 5 babies 3 lived this time out of 7 eggs 5 hatched 2 lived

Status
Not open for further replies.