• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The last pomegranate

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Started on the last pomegranate I had in storage this morning.
I hope there are some early cherries.
Does anyone else stockpile poms?

IMG_7412.JPG
IMG_7415.JPG

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I like to get them when in season, and then I take out the arils and freeze them.
I'll thaw and sprinkle a handful on their chop.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
At Safeway, I can buy the arils in the frozen section year round (although it's been limited some during the pandemic). That way I don't have to deal with the mess!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is true now at most chain grocery stores. You can purchase them out of the fruit but of course it will cost you more.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Due to shortages this year in hawaii and pricing per pom was going at $4.99 a pound at Safeway and $9.00 at whole foods I started buying frozen organic arils for $3.99 (12 oz) from Down to earth.

I buy freeze dried for Quackerina because she won't eat wet and for Cuddles for his beak workout from Karens but it's like $9.99 for 3 oz , so it's their private time treat. Normally I would freeze 6-7 in a normal year.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Due to shortages this year in hawaii and pricing per pom was going at $4.99 a pound at Safeway and $9.00 at whole foods I started buying frozen organic arils for $3.99 (12 oz) from Down to earth.

I buy freeze dried for Quackerina because she won't eat wet and for Cuddles for his beak workout from Karens but it's like $9.99 for 3 oz , so it's their private time treat. Normally I would freeze 6-7 in a normal year.
wow! $9! Although I've paid that for a papaya when there were few to be had.
It sounds like they could be rather dear here too then.
What are frozen like, do they just turn to water and mush as they thaw? I just can't picture my guys going for them, but I've thrown out bags of food before.

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
wow! $9! Although I've paid that for a papaya when there were few to be had.
It sounds like they could be rather dear here too then.
What are frozen like, do they just turn to water and mush as they thaw? I just can't picture my guys going for them, but I've thrown out bags of food before.
[/QUO

the outer flesh does become mushy when fully defrosted and as long as there is no ice on the fruit ( or if there is wash it off). What remains is a soft fruity airle with a chewy seed (i think they like the seed better) and some some sweet juice. I sometimes feed frozen during hot days and they enjoy. Its a once a week treat for them.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually do when they're on sale, but this year they've been incredibly expensive.

I remove the pips this way. Another method I seen suggests removing them in a bowl full of water, but I like the wooden spoon trick more.
That’s an amazing way to not get purple fingers. I stopped purchasing whole poms because it wasn’t very professional for me to look like my fingers were dirty an entire week due to the staining!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I just cut the poms in half and either cut slices or remove a few arils as needed, depends on the bird. I only cut shallow thru the skin and not into arils and the pieces pull off clean and not messy.
I never get messy fingers. The birds make a mess but not me.