• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the journey of Leaf, as told by me

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
Part 1 of Leaf’s journey:

On January 13 of 2017 I was working in the salon with a coworker when we both noticed this giant cage looking thing standing in the middle of the entrance. We surmised several different things that could inhabit this cage from sugar gliders to birds. My gut feeling was a bird, and until I was able to go out there on the floor I didn’t know. I met the owners, talked with them a bit and they said that the dogs that they had recently adopted were too interested in the bird. My first thought was “why don’t you get rid of the dogs” especially after I heard that they had owned him for seven years and it was abundantly clear he was attached to his owners.

Melody, my coworker, went out and got more details on the story and it was heartbreaking but I am glad that they didn’t keep him for an accident waiting to happen.

Anyhow, he was set up off to the side nearby the cash registers so that people could see him and he was, as told to me, free to an experienced home. I jokingly sent a message to my mom asking her if she wanted a Sun Conure free to an experienced home. Melody was telling me that I should take him and I was on the fence at that point. After the previous owner’s left he was making contact calls nonstop and I was trying so hard not to break down into tears. I just barely held it together as my mom told me that she had found a girl who would be willing to take him and I felt instant relief.

Part 2 of Leaf’s journey:

On the 17th of January she came to pick him up and my managers, being the crappy managers they are, initiated a 50$ fee after the other managers said he was free to an experienced home. I gladly paid the 50$ and she took him home. My mom loaned Dakota’s (her bird) travel cage because the current cage he was in was rusting and whatever it was that they put in the bottom of his cage had moths. It was uninhabitable for a bird so my mom and I trashed it.

As she took him I told her if there was any reason at all she couldn’t keep him to message me first and I’d be more than willing to take him in. He had already made quite the impact on me in just that short time.

Part 3 of Leaf’s journey:

For about a month he was kept in that travel cage, from my understanding, until she messaged me around the 16th of February telling me that he had begun to attack her boyfriend (he’s a very possessive bird) and I agreed to take him in. I told her that I was off the next day and I picked him up in his travel cage on the 17th. He was already asking for head scritches before I started up the car and took him to my house. I gave him a day or so to settle in and got him out here and there just to get him warmed up to me.

That took absolutely no time at all. Instantly he was needing to be near me, to have me scratch his head to snuggle into my neck and under my hair. I figured he hadn’t been outside of the travel cage so I set about ordering a cage for him. So for about ten days he was in the travel cage, solely, with me getting him out as much as possible since the dogs can be out whenever he goes to bed so they have plenty of time out but he had to stay inside of his cage when I was at work or the girls had to be out for whatever reason (namely to go to the bathroom).

After my vet visit, I moved the dogs’ kennels upstairs so they would stop disturbing him every time they moved around in their kennels. His big cage came in on the 27th of February and I lovingly set it up so that he could have a big, expansive cage in which to explore and enjoy. The previous owners had one toy in his cage and a small amount of perches. He’s got six perches in his cage and a plethora of toys to keep his mind busy. He’s also been switched over to Harrison’s High Potency fine and I feed him Golden Feast Conure blend and Caribbean blend as well as getting him introduced to fresh veggies and some fruits.

He’s coming around about food but I never thought he would warm up to me so quickly. I never expected that he would be so thoroughly in love with what I was providing him. He’s such a sweet little bird and I’ve never been this in tune with bird body language but I can read him so well, and he can me. From day one when I had him he was attached to me. He brings a light to my life and a brilliance to my home that I never thought possible. I’m absolutely in love with him and I don’t know if there’s such a thing as a heart bird but I’m more than willing to say that, without a shadow of a doubt, he is my heart bird.

Leaf’s future:

With him by my side, and me by his side, he’s looking at a wonderful, incredible future full of amazing experiences, incredible food, and to be able to be himself with plenty of fun to be had outside of his cage and inside of his cage. I absolutely adore him and I want nothing better than for him to have the best life possible for as long as I can keep him. I plan to keep him until the unfortunate time that I’m no longer able to care for him, which would hopefully only be in the event of my death. He’s renewed my obsession with birds and I feel like there is nothing that we can’t accomplish together. Leaf is an incredible bird with a whole lot to offer to me, and I can only hope that I have the same to offer to him.

I have never been so thoroughly in love with a bird as I am with him. I adore, love, and absolutely can’t live without my dogs. Just like I feel the same about Leaf in my life. I made the best decision in the world to accept him into my life, into my house, and into my heart.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Call it kismet, fate, whatever...Leaf and you were destined for each other. :)

I’m absolutely in love with him and I don’t know if there’s such a thing as a heart bird but I’m more than willing to say that, without a shadow of a doubt, he is my heart bird.
There are heart birds, that's a fact...Cassie was my :heart: bird...as Leaf is with you...:heart:

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
He was waiting for you to come along :). Very nice story, and hopefully an inspiration to others to take in older or rehomed birds. Congrats on your bond with Leaf, it will only get better from here!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd was my :heart: Bird, Lurch was my grumpy boy that finally realized he cared for me, Dobby likes everyone but sister is his :heart: person. Everyone was as happy as I could or can make them.
That's such a great story and yep, when they choose you or finally decide they are stuck with you so might as well be friends it's a special thing you'll never forget.:xflove:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Great story :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Enjoyed reading your Leaf story. Love those happy endings. He chose you!

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
thank you! I actually was SO CLOSE to taking him home that night. if that other girl hadn't, I would have. I couldn't stand listening to him call for his family. thinking about it even now makes me want to cry LOL he's so sweet. :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a wonderful story! You two were definitely meant to be together!:heart: