• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Indonesian Parrot Project (documentary)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Some disturbing visuals when the wildlife trade is shown, but worth a watch.

Synopsis...

The Indonesian Parrot Project (IPP) has been conducting important conservation work to save parrots and cockatoos from extinction in Indonesia. The film shows the history and current work of IPP, the challenges of parrot conservation in Indonesia, and the importance of protecting parrots as flagship species. We zig-zag around the Indonesian archipelago following local researchers to show their work in action. We travel to the remote island of Masakambing to see the collaboration with local people looking after the last remaining population of the Abbotti cockatoo, to the Moluccas to observe the parrot rehabilitation and release center of IPP, and to the Komodo island to reveal how the famous dragons contribute to the conservation of a critically endangered cockatoo species. In the documentary we examine all aspects of parrot conservation including the roles and responsibilities of conservationists, decision makers, local communities and eco-tourists, demonstrating that success can be achieved only by well-organized cooperation among them.​

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Looks really interesting and enlightening! I’ll be sure to check it out.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is very complex to organize something like this. No one agent or agency can do it alone.

And BTW, @flyzipper that new avatar eyeball is a little freaky! :scared2: :embarassed:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I have yet to watch it, I have seen Parrot Town supporting the Project.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I will have to watch tonight. A couple of years ago I met Bonnie Zimmerman who works with the project when she was giving a lecture. A group of us went to dinner later and her and I spent an hour talking about the flocks over there. Amazing. I also showed her videos of the wild green conures, red head amazon and yellow head amazons that live in my area of deep south Texas.