• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Horse Herder - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
Finn, our Rough Collie, is just hanging out on the edge of corral looking for a job.

I say "Finn, go get the horses! They need a snack" So he does....

Attachments

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
The Horse Herder - Part 2

Ok Finn, they've eaten -

"Put em out to pasture!"

Attachments

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
What a sweet face.:heart: And what a gorgeous picture of the horses in the snow and trees.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Re: The Horse Herder - Part 2

:lol: Good job Finn. He reminds me of my familys tri colored Shelties.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
I ADORE this dog. He is amazing. He has the best disposition ever and so smart! He has saved my horses several times when deer have taken the fences down. The grey mare, Blu, seems to always think she needs to head for the highway when she gets out and the TB, Shadow, follows right along. I'm terrified they will get hit by a semi or gravel truck out there as we are on a ridge so drivers from the east can't see until they get to the top - at 60mph or more. That dog rounds them up and herds them back into the fence every time like a champ. We did not "teach" him to do this, although I know it's instinctive for the breed to herd, but he just knows what to do and where to put them. Once they had gotten 3/4 a mile down the highway before the dog knew they were gone since they went out from the far pasture and someone called from their cell phone on the highway. My mother in law said, "go get those horses" and he stuck his nose up, took off in the right direction and came barrelling back several minutes later - stampeding those horses right back in. I love Finn!!!

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
wow I love horses, beautiful pictures.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
My family has had Collies since I can remember. All named Tippy. I couldn't have another one when my Tippy got hit by a car.

Finn is just beautiful. It makes me happy to see him.

Ginger

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Smart dogs like that are worth their weight in gold!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That must be awesome to watch in person. :D

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Finn is gorgeous Wendy. We have a neighbor who could use a dog like Finn. Their horse are always getting out.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
One of these times I will video tape the whole "Go get the horses" process - he lives for it. It's also very interesting to watch the battle of wills between the mare and the dog - he's had a bit of a grudge since she dumped a load of poo right on his head last spring when he was following behind on a trail ride, so he takes special care to get right up in her face and bark, while she likes to toss her head and cow kick in his direction. He is always just far enough out of her reach so she can't get him. He'll even follow parallel to her barking the whole time and then get 2" on this side of the electric fence, lay down and look just like he is smiling...There is absolutely none of this with the Thoroughbred. Funny animals.

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
I loved the pic's. We had a Tri color Collie named Shadow that was great with the horses. He loved to go riding with us and would get so excited when he saw me get the saddles out. He passed away at age 13 a couple years ago. We have two rough collies now, one rehomed and one rescued. Love this breed!

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
That dog loves trail rides. I do a guided trail ride 3 day camp on our property twice a year - we can put on around 10-15 miles per day or more and Finn just follows allong like a champ - you couldn't keep him home if you tried. I always bring some bottled water for him - thirsty trails!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is so cool.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
What a doll!
Our husky used to "herd" the horses in so we could bring them up to the barn at night, but he has gotten so old now (He's 16!!!) that we have let him retire to being the gaurd of our doorstep and cuddle companion to barn kitties.

Status
Not open for further replies.