• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Hawk-headed (Red-Fan) Parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww, thanks, they are beautiful!

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Hawk-headed Parrot subspecies comparison

The appearance of the Brazilian subspecies (Deroptyus accipitrinus fuscifrons) of the Hawk-headed Parrot differs in a few details to the Buff-crowned subspecies (Deroptyus accipitrinus accipitrinus). The most obvious difference is the lack of a pronounced whitish crown in the Brazilian ssp., which immediately sets it apart even to the casual observer. In its place is scant few greyish streaks on a predominantly brown plumage background that both ssp. sport in abundance on the cheek and throat areas.

It has been noted that the Brazilians can grow to be slightly larger birds and have somewhat more intense coloration, although this varies. Other observable differences can include a larger, lighter eye-ring for the Brazilian ssp. that in some photos I have seen is bordered by white. Also in the photo above and the video clip in the second post, the tail feather ends seem to show more blue.

Here is the only photo I have found to date where the two subspecies of Hawk-headed Parrot are shown together. Some of the mentioned differences are quite apparent here...

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:jawdrop:That is a fantastic picture Titanis. It really is great for showing the differences. I prefer the buff-crowned (lucky for me since thats what is available), but I really like those white eyerings on the Brazilian. That picture could almost make me change my mind (dont tell Cassius ;))

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I think they are gorgeous too, but prefer the Buff Crowned. I think the white eye rings make her look more wild. Is it just the pic, or is there a big difference in the beak too?{shape}
Also wanted to say thanks to Titanis...as always...fantastic photo!:highfive:

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for the info. I want one of these one day.

GiGi Bird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Lori
Just new today and loving this site! GiGi is about 4 years and spoiled rotten. Makes the ummm sound with pasta and toast. She knows "snuggle" on the couch and I even have her potty trained to go on command off the outside perch. (keeps the cage cleaner.) Her first word was "whaaaat?" and uses that like a teenager. Her other favorite is "I know it". Also like a teenager. :) Looking forward to joining in, in the future.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a fantastic sticky,I really enjoyed reading it. I would love to have one of these amazing Fids someday.

Shockie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
Just new today and loving this site! GiGi is about 4 years and spoiled rotten. Makes the ummm sound with pasta and toast. She knows "snuggle" on the couch and I even have her potty trained to go on command off the outside perch. (keeps the cage cleaner.) Her first word was "whaaaat?" and uses that like a teenager. Her other favorite is "I know it". Also like a teenager. :) Looking forward to joining in, in the future.
Welcome to the forum! I'm new, too, just joined a little over a week ago. So awesome about your HH going potty on command! I had been wondering if that could be done... I've seen videos of conures doing it.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How cute! GiGi sounds like a great HH :D You are so lucky to have a talker, they have the cutest little voices :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome Lori! I can't wait to get to know you and GiGi..:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Bump to a great thread.:smilesign::bump4:

AvianNewb

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jessica
I was given a HH last year and he has been and still is quite the character. I do not know much about his background though and besides a few parakeets he's my first experience with birds. He has a cage, but most of the time he hangs out on top of it while whistling & singing (his favorite whistle is like a cat call whistle), but I find him to be more talkative than others mention theirs being. He says "Hello", "Thank You", "Love You", "Bye, Bye, Bye", "Whatcha Doin?" and a few others...oh and he laughs at everything and it's the funniest thing to hear his laugh. When we aren't home we tend to leave Sesame St or something along those lines and he seems to really enjoy that. I've never met a bird quite like him. My only concern is that he's been pulling his feathers out quite a bit and nothing seems to make him stop. Any advice? We would appreciate any input/feedback. We want to make sure he's happy.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA :)

Sounds like you have quite the character :) Most don't talk much so Im a little jealous ;) As far as the feather destructive behavior, that can be difficult to work through but a good place to start would be an exam (possibly bloodwork & cultures, etc) from a qualified avian vet. Environmental changes can also trigger it so think if anything has changed (even the most subtle thing as hawkheads are very observant!). Maybe there is something that is upsetting him? Starting a thread in this section might get some better answers from others who have experience with feather destructive behaviors :) --> Pluckers Parlor - Avian Avenue Bird Forum

Diamond's_Birdie

Moving in
Hello all, I would like to know more about that beautiful bird that is the HH. Is he really as bad ( behavior) as people say they are? I have read that they aren't very a good companion once they reached maturity, aggressive, possessive...
I see this forum seems to have a few members with HH.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hello, welcome to Avian Avenue! Are you in the process of researching what bird you are interested in? As with all birds, their personalities vary.

Diamond's_Birdie

Moving in
Hi, I am looking to get more info on this bird. I am considering it as a second bird, but not for now thoug. Mostly all I read was negative stuff .... I know their personality varies but all I heard was very negative, they kill other bird, they're very aggressive, they fly and attack any other person than his chosen one....

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have a male and female{not together} While the male is slightly protective of his girl Holly{my redfronted macaw} he had a very questionable past, and is nearing at least middle age. I have Yuna who has one foot,is only two, and was nearly dead when she came into my life, who is as sweet as honey.

Status
Not open for further replies.