• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Happy Dance

Peachy-Gizmo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emma Freeman
Pip is now four months old, we have had her since she was eight weeks of age and in that time she has progressed quite well; she steps up, turns around and will wave, in addition to this she can, at times be very friendly but this friendliness is all on her terms at the moment, once she has had enough or if she just doesn't want to, biting happens but I know that this is just her testing her boundaries and we are still both quite new to our relationship so we are working through that, I have no problem with her having personal space, I just don't enjoy being eaten alive lol.
Recently, however Pip has started exhibiting some strange behaviour. My first lovebird, Gizmo, adopted me as his mate and would fluff up his feathers and vibrate whilst making a high pitched fast squeaking noise whenever he was happy; when I came home from work, for example. When we got Pip we sexed her by feeling her abdomen, the breeders, my partner and I all had a feel and we agreed she was female although this isn't, of course, foolproof and she could possibly be male. Recently she has started doing a sort of dance, she fluffs her feathers and dances backwards and forwards, sometimes she turns, she bobs her head and makes a similar peeping noise to the one Gizmo used to make. This behaviour confuses me because according to everything I have read, lovebirds don't reach sexual maturity until they are between 8 and 12 months old (one site devoted to masked lovebirds, which is Pip's species, said that they usually reach sexual maturity at 10 months) but Pip is only 4. I'm just wondering is anyone knows what this could mean, I know she hasn't fully bonded with me by any stretch of the imagination so it can't be that, although she is very fascinated with my goldfish and spends a lot of time near the tank, this was where I first saw her do the dance. I'm not concerned at all, whatever she is doing it seems to be perfectly natural, I'm jut wondering if anyone else has a female lovebird that does this, or if it is even gender related.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i just now saw your question i am sorry i do not have an answer

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think it is perfectly normal behaviro..she is just showing her happiness..she sounds adorable

Peachy-Gizmo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emma Freeman
Thank you, that's good to know, she is pretty cute when she wants to be, other times she is a little she devil but we're working on that lol, mostly she is a pleasure to be around. If she's happy I'm happy :)

maddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Malene
hmmm.... sounds a lot like Tequila, my MALE lutino lovie... and he started doing the same perhaps around the same age, perhaps a bit later, I dont remember precisely. I thought it a bonding thing.

We had him dna tested, so he IS a he for sure... I wouldnt say he peeps, it seems to be more clicking. Round and round, bobs, then a single peep, a jump, scratches his face and then the continued clicking.

Any of this sound familiar?

As you know, only a DNA test will tell you for sure if he is a he or if she is a she ;)

Peachy-Gizmo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emma Freeman
Our male lovie used to do something similar to this as well, unfortunately at the time that we got Pip we couldn't really afford a DNA test and it wouldn't have made a difference to us anyway, we will love her whatever sex she turns out to be, we'll keep an eye on her, though, I suppose if she never lays an egg we might have to admit that she is in face male :lol: does your female do anything like this?