• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Greater Ani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
The Greater Ani (Crotophaga major), or Black Cuckoo, is a bird that may become available from birdsexpress.net.

This is a Central & South American species of cuckoo that inhabits swampland habitats & usually perches & nests in the mangroves.

Its diet consists of insects, caterpillars, sometimes small lizards & frogs -- also, berries & fruits.

Some may see it as a plain & boring black bird, but I think it is absolutely stunning with its bulky beak & boat-like tail.

Photo credit: Hermann Redies

This is the only decent video I can find of the bird:

YouTube - Greater Ani

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Wow!...what an unusal looking birds. Look at those eyes!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I had seen them on a Nature special quite a while ago & fell in love with their look. While browsing the BirdsExpress website, I was reminded of them so I thought I'd do a bit of research. They don't seem to be found in Aviculture at all. I do hope BE gets some in the Spring. They hope to as well.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ah...it looks like you are leaning towards a variety of softbills. Another cool bird from South American is the red crested cardinal

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
OMG that's a scary looking bird! Beautiful eye color, though!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Ah...it looks like you are leaning towards a variety of softbills. Another cool bird from South American is the red crested cardinal
Thanks to you & Carole, my eyes have been opened to a whole new world in the exotic softbills. They have me ABSOLUTELY intrigued! I also like the fact that little is know about many of them. The more rare, the more intriguing :p

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I've I have found the same thing. So little detailed info. Most info is too basic if considering a new species that is less commonly found. I'm on softbill and mousebird Yahoo lists, and yet it is still hard to get many to disclose detailed info :(

What you might do is do a Google search on what Zoo's keep the species you are interested in and see if the keepers can give more specific info. In FL many of the zoo's would have many of the more exotic and rarer softbills.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
You gals are simply the BEST! Thanks for all the links & ideas! I'm going to nose my way into some of it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.