• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good, the bad, and the ugly on sun conures

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

TMS asked me to pop in and post this. I thought on it a while since I'm taking a much needed AA vacation. I decided that, since suns are such a commonly rehomed species, I would put in my 2 cents and then bow back out of the AA loop.

THE GOOD:
Kiwi is a go with the flow, up for anything, take it all in stride kind of bird. He has moved 3 times, been in the cabin of an airplane, was harness trained in days, never feared a toy, will stand up to even the biggest "adversary" out there, and basically adjusts in no time. Once he is in a new environment, he immediately acts as if he's been there for years. Even the day I bought him, I opened his little cardboard carrier, stuck some food on his playstand, plopped him down, and he ate as if he had been living with me forever.

Kiwi is the epitome of a loveable, cuddly, baby bird. He is always up for a snuggle. Any time, anywhere, he's in the mood. He will sleep in the cutest positions and loves to be close to his person (me). Are you sad? In a bad mood? Snuggle a sunnie and you will have a smile on your face. He gives kisses, wiggles up under your chin or down your shirt, and you just melt.

Kiwi is absolutely hysterical. Some of the stuff he does just cracks me up. He will dance to music. He stomps his foot when you pat your hand on something. He will fly around and get into the funniest predicaments. It really is hard to be sad when you are in the presence of a sun. Their loveable nature and funny antics are sure to make you smile.

All of these "good" things are relatively constant. It isn't "on his terms" because he's like this literally ALL OF THE TIME.

THE BAD:
Kiwi is basically a one person bird. He doesn't seem to love other people like he loves me. He will tolerate some people, but those people are few and far between. If he doesn't tolerate you, look out. He will dive bomb and lunge and draw blood. I'm sure there is some sort of training to get them to be more social, but I'm his chosen person and I see no need to force him to love someone else. He's been through the whole "flooding" to make him love someone (NOT BY ME!) and I just don't agree with it. I'm his person and that's that.

The noise. Now, it doesn't really bother me. I've gotten used to it. Kiwi is loud 1) first thing in the morning 2)when you first come home (whether you've been gone 5 minutes, 5 hours, or 5 days) 3)if he hears someone at the door 4)when he sees something "invading" his space (i.e. if he is outside and he sees a hawk or a butterfly). It's not constant. However, a lot of people will say that's the deal breaker. But, it isn't that hard to determine how it will effect you if you are considering getting a sun. Go meet some. Meet more than one. And don't rely on YouTube videos to give you an indicator because my speakers don't go loud enough. He is loud. With Kiwi, however, I can quiet him down pretty easily.....which leads to.....

Clingy. To me, this is a good and a bad. It's good because I love having a constant sidekick but some people want a more independent bird. If I were home 24/7/365, I am certain I wouldn't need to buy a single toy for Kiwi because he would be content to just be with me. Some people don't want that in a bird. Some like the more aloof, independent species. Me? I kind of find it endearing to be the center of this little guy's world.

THE UGLY:
Jealousy. Kiwi is a jealous little man. If he sees me with someone he doesn't like, he attacks. If he sees me using something he doesn't like, he attacks. We went through a several month stint where he would literally attack my face if he saw me using a straw or drinking out of a wine glass (I'm Italian....we bleed wine. It was hard drinking it out of a coffee cup!). The straws I kind of justified because Kiwi plays with straws, so maybe he thought I was stealing his toys?? The wine glass, though, I can't explain. He's kind of chilled out with it, though.

Dive bombing. Kiwi doesn't care how big and bad you are: if he doesn't like you, you will be attacked in the form of a dive bomb to the head. He will probably draw blood. He will probably laugh (literally) at your screams of panic. Don't like it? Don't come to HIS house.

Picky! Kiwi is very picky when it comes to food. He doesn't like what he doesn't like and you cannot make him eat it. I have had blueberries, beans, peppers, etc thrown on the floor, at me, against the wall, against the sliding glass door, etc. His diet is a constant thorn in my side and I wish he was like some of the little piggies I've seen on AA.

So, there you have it - the good, the bad, and the ugly on sun conures. They really are an amazing species to interact with. If you can stand the noise, they will bring so much light (literally and figuratively!) into your life, you will wonder how you lived so long without one. I will be the first to say, if you are considering one, please please please go meet some adults. Spend some time with them and make sure the contact calls are something you can handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Bridgette just described Tango to a T I dont think I could add anything else besides he will draw blood if anyone comes near him with a harness :eek: and for us he has chosen my husband as his chosen one. Although he cheats on him if he is gone then I get am allowed to have some snuggles and kisses as long as Jasper doesn't see :p

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Simba was almost exactly the way Kiwi is,except he wouldn't attack me,but would attack whatever it was I was holding. I couldn't have said this better myself,well said B!

Chicklet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jamie
Great post!! Briar is exactly like that! I wouldn't trade him for the world! :heart:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
This description is why I try to advise people with certain conures not to also keep Eclectus. Imagine the results of an agressive conure towards a larger beak.

Sir Vasalot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bryan Greenfarb
Great post. There is a bit of Kiwi in all 4 of my rescued Sun Conures. Your post is a must read for those trolling Craigslist thinking they want to be the proud parent of a Sun Conure rescue. Their beauty is captivating but their personalities often offset for the uneducated or unprepared bird handler. My Sun Conure, Angel, who has the most majestic dance when you sing, is the Devil in disguise. I love all 4 of mine each with their own quirks yet each with their own reason I love them so much. Keep up the great posts!!

Cocochick

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
Calliope is a lot like Kiwi, too. Very picky about food, very much a one person bird (my poor hubby!), but will give me love if he is out of sight, and honestly in the grand scheme of things, she is not annoyingly loud. Yes, her volume is loud, but she is not a constant screamer. She is usually very quiet and prefers to make beeping and clucking noises over screaming noises. She is also not quick to bite, but sometimes, if I try to remove her from my husband's person, she will let me know that that is not acceptable behavior. Overall, though, she is the snuggliest, cuddliest, most loving and velcro-like bird in my flock. I think if I had raised her from a baby, she'd be much more clown-like, too. I think she was not given a lot of attention by her previous owners and spent a lot of time in her cage, so she is a little psychotic, but still a great little bird. If you can get past the noise, then I highly recommend these little gems.

tpoduje

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Todd
Fun read, thank you for taking the time. :coffeescreen:

solo

Real Name
jess
aww i miss goose :( she was the cuddliest, sweetest and most loyal baby in the world :hug8:

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Sorry about your Goose, Jess. :(
This thread reminds me of my previous sun conure, Kiki. She was
a great but feisty little girl! Thanks for posting this!

Nevermores Mum

Real Name
Kacie
That pegs them alright! I have fostered many over the years and every one of them was given up because the owner got irritated with "noise." So I always stress that to potential adopters. Although, honestly, if they are "excessively" screming their is often a reason that can be sorted out.

lildianega

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Diane Barber
Just got my Sun Conure Mia Tia June 8th from Craigslist :) Any one ever know of one whispering and talking in there sleep?This is second night she has done this . She hates hubby lunges at him & warming up to me slowly :) Very loud :) I need lots of help She does do hand shakes dances talks and gives kisses . But loud. Her beak is so over grown and toe nails hurt me bad Going to get this taken care of soon . Not sure if I can keep her She and my PFC don't get along at all .PFC is a baby only 13 weeks Mia Tia Is 4 .

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I must be blessed. The only bad thing my 4 year old Sun, Gracie does is yell. Which isn't really bad, because that's sort of in their nature. She usually just yells upon someone arriving in her area, when I get home / someone gets home, or when someone approaches me when she's on my shoulder. She nips a little, and if you're aggressive towards her (shoving fingers in her face / running children) she may draw blood; but if you give her time to warm up to you she'll nip but not hard. xD

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
Very good description of sun conures...but in most points, not my sun.

Simba has the good part down to a T. He is so loving, he loves being touched and scritched more than my budgie (which I love), and he is the sweetest little thing (great with kids)

However, he's a timid little conure. He warms up to most people by evaluating how snuggly they are, and will sit on a stranger's finger; but he's always looking towards me in case something happens. He likes me the best, he likes my sister a lot too (he is technically her bird), and my dad. He's in his nippy phase, but will be more content to preen me; my face, my hair, and everything else.

Like I said, he's timid. He only makes noise when we leave the house (he hears the keys jangling and the door opening), and when we come back. He only makes a few squawks, however, because he knows we will ignore him until he's a quiet bird.

Clingy- Yes. He thrives on attention from humans, but that's not a bad thing. I want a bird who wants to be with me. Sure, he's content to destroy every item he can get his beak on in his cage, but as soon as I take my budgie, Nuuki, out he's pressed against the front of the cage...staring at me. He knows he will get his time, and when he does he won't leave me. Not for toys or anything. Try to get him to amuse himself and(even though he has clipped wings)he'll fly to me. If he gets bored, he will fly off and amuse himself elsewhere (me watching him all of the time), but that takes a long time, and it usually doesn't happen unless I have him out while I'm doing a tedious task (like sorting papers).

Jealous...nope. His cage is an alternate universe. When he's in his cage there is only chewing and destroying. When he is in his cage, I can do anything and he won't be jealous. Out of the cage, if he is with me, he doesn't care. If he can nibble my ears, destroy ponytails, and investigate my face, he's cool. I'm very lucky with this guy.

Dive bombing...never happened.

Picky- nope. He's tried lots of fruits and veggies and had fun with it. He wasn't raised on them, but he gets treats in the same bowl he gets fresh foods- and that motivates him to try things. Sure, it helps that I eat it with him and share food (though he doesn't demand it), but he's a curious conure. Carrots, are better than his treat blend- no lie.

Yeah, he's different...but that's why our family bought him. He wasn't planned for months like my blue crown, and my budgie. We were volunteering, and noticed this little quiet sun that was oh, so loving. He was housed with green cheeks when he was freshly weaned, so maybe he adopted some of their ways. In any case, our Simba is a special, loving little bird and we treasure him with all our hearts. :heart:

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Tequila is a great sunny!!! She isn't loud, she is affectionate, she is smart and independent. She accepts my whole family. (not to the point as she does me, but she is friendly)
She also ignores the her brothers and sisters (other flock members) and isn't out to start fights.

the only thing I am working on her on, but I have no idea how, is for her to accept my baby boy. He has been with us for almost two years and she has seen him partically everyday of his life, but I can't have her be out of the cage when he is around. She will go to bite him :sad11: ... I don't know how to make her accept him. I don't need for both of them to be best buds, or to play... but for them to be in the same room together and she out of the cage is my goal. any suggestions? i'm stumped

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
The Wonderful___----Rika is a cuddy bug. Happiness is sitting on my shouder or trying to snuggle underneath my shirt( I learned to always wear a bra , she has been known to bite due to sheer joy. )
The good--- she will try almost anything at least once. She also is pretty good with my Dad especially if he's holding a pine nut.
The bad--- the screaming started when I obtained Cricket. She used to yell in the morning until I took her out, or if she heard someone outside, but it wasn't that much or that bad. But now if she not right with me she screams. And if Cricket dares to look at her she goes ballastic. And for all Cricket's smarts as soon as I take him into another room for a little one on one , Rika screams , and he thinks she's calling him.

Last edited:

munky

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vicki
I love your post and am amazed how closely it describes my little vixen "Breezy". Okay I am brand new here and I am looking for some help. Don't think I should address it here, so I will post a thread and I think you are all going to be invaluable with your knowledge. I will call the thread "Breezy the Diva".