• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Red Bellied Parrots

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
Where did you guys get your Red-Bellies from? I'm looking into Jean Pattison, but is there any recommendations?

Jiffy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elliana
@Saemma @crystalusagi @Shade @iamwhoiam

I've asked a person on instagram that has a red belly where she got hers from. She then replied that she got hers from a petco (rare occasion) but she does not recommend them. She says they are super aggressive to people they don't know and sometimes their owner. When I was reading about them it didn't seem in their nature at all. When I got a bird from petco, he was very aggressive, more than likely from a bad upbringing. So I wanted to ask if they are always like this, or if this occasion is because of bad upbringing?

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I have had my red belly parrot female Lady for coming up to a year and a half. Although she is still new to me, She is the most wonderful bird I have ever had.
The good:
She is so intelligent. She can say about 30 words and uses them in context. She just saw snow out the window for the first time a few days ago and says 'What are you doing?' to it! She is my snuggler, and I call her my spaghetti noodle because she will let me do absolutely anything with her. I can flip her around and play with her little footsies and touch any part of her and she is totally okay with it. She doesn't even struggle with nail clippings and will let me put a harness on her and take her out to see the grass. She is very acrobatic and loves swings and movement toys. She's a really great eater. She formed a trust bond really quickly.
The bad:
she can be a little predatory. She will attach her toys like a little falcon, and attach and kill bugs. Whenever I cook chicken she is absolutely dying to have a bite or to get the leg bone and will scream bloody murder if I don't give it to her and attack the trash can. She can really sense weakness in people and other birds and will test them. I don't let other people handle her without like 50 disclaimers first that if they hesitate when they reach out to her she will lunge at them.
The ugly:
She has bitten one of my other birds before, not bad enough to draw blood, but the way she attacked it was what was most scary. She grabbed her out of the air while they were both in flight and they both tumbled to the ground. I don't let them out at the same time anymore. I have seen a lot of other comments about them being obsessive over things they hate, and this is really true. And they hate the strangest things. I have never had a full hard bite from her, but I have no doubt she could take a chunk out of me if she wanted to.

Overall, I love her incredibly much. She has converted me from someone who was interested in getting 'big birds' one day, to someone who just wants all the pois.