• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Pionus Parrots

Lisidou

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Very late but a great update on this post!
one weekend about 8 or so years ago, I was keeping sweet Grady at my house while daughter was out of town. When I took her back to her place and said bye, Grady started screaming and crying for me immediately. Daughter said “OMG, just TAKE her and GO!”
you better believe I grabbed her back up so fast in the carrier and ran away with her right back to my house. happily ever after we are now a permanent pair. I adore this darling bird. Perfection with feathers!
View attachment 182610 The love of my life is our sweet Grady. She is a White Cap Pi.
3 1/2 years old.

The sweetest angel of a bird ever.

She is actually my daughters bird and I have to think that one of the reasons she is so sweet is that she lived in the college dorm with my daughter for her first year. They were constantly together.

She loves both of my daughters as well as me but the "relationship" is different with each one of us.
Not sure what position we all have in her flock though.....
I bought her when she was just finishing being weaned and my younger daughter and I picked her up from the breeders as a surprise gift for my oldest daughter.
We let her keep eating mush baby food from a spoon as long as she wanted it. This was her special time sharing breakfast with us. (Actually my daughter)

She rode in a travel cage for 3 hours in my younger daughters lap so this is why I think she is bonded with her. When that daughter leaves, Grady cries for her but is so excited when she comes back. She can be gone for months to college and still Grady is thrilled to see her. She recognizes her car when it drives up.

The older daughter must be her "mate" because Grady will only on rare occasion actually bite her, though not very hard. Just to say no, I don't want to come out or whatever.

Me, she never bites and she seems to be the most attached to me. I love that. :)
But.....I am so crushed now. Daughter has graduated and now has a real job. Though I am thrilled for her success, it is so sad that she has moved out into her very own place and of course Grady has gone with her.

I am now waiting patiently on a blue headed baby that I plan on bringing home when it is weaned in a few months.
I know this one cannot replace the void that sweet Grady has left and I pray that it will be as sweet and personable as she is!

I won't be stuck in a dorm room studying for hours on end with the new baby so I sure hope it will be as sweet......

Bottom line....Pionus are the absolute best little bird!

I have an Amazon too, a Blue Front named Webster. He is 27 years old and I have had him since he was a baby too. He is awesome also and I love him. But there is something really special about Grady that has totally stolen my heart!

Good: Everything!
Bad: Cannot think of a single thing except that she is gone now.....her Mommy, my Daughter, graduated, got a real job and moved out with her!
Ugly: me wanting to go steal her back and change my locks!