• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Mini Macaws

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also add that although there hasn't been any specific input from yellow collared mini mac owners in this section, I doubt you can go wrong by taking the diversified info on this thread into consideration. Besides size and feather coloring, most mini macs share VERY similar behaviour tendencies.

These behaviour characteristics would be the ones you may want to strongly consider to help determine whether ANY mini macaw would be a good fit for your lifestyle and personal expectations.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also add that although there hasn't been any specific input from yellow collared mini mac owners in this section, I doubt you can go wrong by taking the diversified info on this thread into consideration. Besides size and feather coloring, most mini macs share VERY similar behaviour tendencies.

These behaviour characteristics would be the ones you may want to strongly consider to help determine whether ANY mini macaw would be a good fit for your lifestyle and personal expectations.

Yes, I'd pretty much agree with that overall. Generally speaking, the differences between them are more nuances than differences, and while they can be fun to note or discuss, probably the only real, factual distinction worth noting would be the size differences, which can impact behavior (or the way we perceive it) in ways people don't always consider. I think that the behavior of the Severe has been unfairly negatively characterized partly because the larger size of the bird amps it up in people's minds. A 250 gram territorial and possessive bird (Illiger's size) just doesn't pack the same whollop as a 450 gram bird (Severe size) acting pretty much the same way. Do I see behavioral differences between my Illiger's and my Hahn's? Yes, but again, it's mostly related to the size difference (a Hahn's just doesn't have the beak power necessary to be, say, as mechanical as an Illiger's. They physically can't undo nuts and bolts the way their bigger cousins can--would they be more mechanical if they had a more powerful beak? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me). So, overall, something like that is not a huge, hairy deal. It's nothing like the behavioral differences between, say, my CAG and any of my macaws. The little green macaws are all little green macaws. :)

WxSteve

Checking out the neighborhood
My Severe (named Kelly) is a 16 year old little kid.

He has the intelligence - and temperament of a 2 year old as well. I couldn't imagine life without him in my home, that said, he is hardly perfect. I think much of how these birds can be summed up by what dog owners are often told. There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners.

I inherited Kelly from a family friend who no longer had time for him (they were gone a lot, so he was caged most of the time). It took us time to get him to where we wanted him. The previous owner rarely handled him, never allowed him to ride on their shoulder and rarely tried to otherwise touch him. We have owned him for a little over two years now, and he has changed so much (so have we, if you think your bird won't affect you as a person and that you have total control, I laugh in your general direction!).

The GOOD:

He is now amazingly affectionate, he demands petting time, on his beek, head, back, and even sometimes his belly as he rolls over for some play/loving. He will force his head under your hand if he wants to be loved, he will rub his face on you often just to let you know you are loved, too. He is smart, he has full flight ability in our home and knows to fly back to his cage when he hears "Kelly, go to your cage, potty time", but if you forget, so will he ;)

He is a great watchdog, he knows when the car is 30s away and will scream to let you know that someone important is almost home. He peacefully co-exists with my two dogs, this took some time, he bit them a few times at first, so they wanted to eat him too.

He eats almost everything we do, but he loves pasta, peanuts and peanut butter, potato chips and all sorts of meat. It's harder when you eat anything with dairy or chocolate, he is very invasive to try anything you have, and he doesn't like being pushed away.

Did I mention he can fly? Well, these birds are gorgeous, you won't know how fully amazing they are until you see them fly all the time. He will often fly places and we will find him in drawers, on the piano, in the bathroom, etc.

Kelly has amazing beek control, if he wants picked up off the floor I just reach one finger down, he will latch on with his beek very gently while I life him to where I am. He can also bite very hard if you interrupt what he is currently into, but I will discuss that more below.

He is good in the car, long trips or short, he will ride on your shoulder the whole time. He hates being stuck in his carrier in the car, he screams incessantly if he can't be out.

He is not a one-person bird as many others report. He loves me, my wife and my 17 y.o. daughter but hates my 11 y.o. son. We have learned is that if you want his acceptance and love, force yourself on him. My daughter suffered a lot of nips and bites, but she also has a "I won't be beaten by a bird" attitude, Kelly made her earn it, but now they have bonded.

He knows "NO" very well, better than my dogs, he also knows other voice commands, more than my dogs do, these are crazy-smart animals.

They are really healthy, fed the right diet and exercised, these are great animals.

The BAD / UGLY:

He can chew like nobody's business, much of our furniture has been personalized, drawers are gnawed, he will rip apart a pair of flip flops or a purse in 5 minutes, certain things we have learned need to be put away properly if you ever want to use them again. Don't let your severe get bored. Get toys that make them think, we have clips and pins, nuts and bolts on his cage and he will sit for hours trying to figure out how to undo something. Also make sure they have sanctioned items to chew, they chew to wear their beeks down.

Kelly hates change. He doesn't like new things in the house, he will attack books that weren't there before, a new lamp, but he does adjust.

Kelly can be nippy at times, but usually it's for a reason, we just have to watch his body language. Heck, we are allowed bad days, so is he.

He can be in your face 24/7, he loves companionship, if you don't then don't get a severe. He hates sharing time with whoever he's into in that moment, including the phone. You'll get a nip here and there if you don't give him your full attention.

he can be very clingy, especially if he is scared or nervous. They act like little kids, which is part of the attraction.

Kelly can be very noisy at times. If we get loud or excited - so does he. If he doesn't get what he wants, noise. He screams a lot right before bed, but always cooperates in getting into his cage for sleep time, he quiets right down as soon as his cage is covered.

I will add more as I think of it...

Inheavenlygrass

Walking the driveway
Hi, I've been reading about mini macaws and I was wondering if anyone had experience with both mini macs and green cheek conures. I know that a mini mac will be louder and more destructive than a GCC but from what I've heard it sounds like they have similar personalities, is this right or am I completely off?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hi, I've been reading about mini macaws and I was wondering if anyone had experience with both mini macs and green cheek conures. I know that a mini mac will be louder and more destructive than a GCC but from what I've heard it sounds like they have similar personalities, is this right or am I completely off?

I have a Green Cheek Conure and a Hahns. They are never allowed out at the same time. GCCs think they are 10 feet tall, and Hahns don't take their crap :lol: It is too dangerous with the size difference to let them interact at all.

Koopa is 54 grams. Gizmo is about 155. That is a BIG size difference, not even taking into consideration the fact that for their size, macaws have larger beaks than similar sized birds.

with koopa.jpg

Inheavenlygrass

Walking the driveway

I have a Green Cheek Conure and a Hahns. They are never allowed out at the same time. GCCs think they are 10 feet tall, and Hahns don't take their crap :lol: It is too dangerous with the size difference to let them interact at all.

Koopa is 54 grams. Gizmo is about 155. That is a BIG size difference, not even taking into consideration the fact that for their size, macaws have larger beaks than similar sized birds.

View attachment 156088
Oh I wasn't intending to put them together at all, Kiwi is waaaaay too territorial and would get her little feathery butt kicked. I was just curious if their personalities were similar because I enjoy cheekies in all their naughty, head strong glory and if I got another bird I wouldn't mind a similar level of curiousity and mischief.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh I wasn't intending to put them together at all, Kiwi is waaaaay too territorial and would get her little feathery butt kicked. I was just curious if their personalities were similar because I enjoy cheekies in all their naughty, head strong glory and if I got another bird I wouldn't mind a similar level of curiousity and mischief.
My apologies :) Koopa and Gizmo are really nothing alike - their body language is totally different, they have different play styles, and prefer different amounts of contact. That is just my experience :)

Buzz2537

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Elaine
I am a rather new mom to a little Hahn's Macaw. I guess it is too early to say what I have read on here rings true for mynlittle girl. Hahnna's hatch date was June 8, so she is just about five months old now. Prior to getting her, I did a lot of reading on her species and watched a lot of Youtube videos. I chose the Hahn's because they are said to have a big bird personality in a small body, interactive and although their voices tend to sound like a comic voice have excellent talking ability. Part of what I read as well, is like many have posted, that they can become nippymand one person birds as well if not handled a lot and from early on. It also went on to say that the males tend to be much more territorial then the females. With all of that said these are my feelings, my reason for choosing a Hahn's and my experince thus far with Hahnna.

First off prior to Hahnna, I had a wonderful U2 that I adored and hand fed out of an egg. Boo was with me eight years, with much of the years a struggle for me with severe asthma caused by the powder the Toos produce and as they mature the powder gets heavier. It became too much, and to the point of my no being able to handle and spend time with her as she deserved. It took two years to find a family I felt comfortable with but with a heavy heart, lots of tears I let Boo go. No money exchanged hands, just a contract stating she would not be bred, they would keep in touch and if they could not keep, her, no matter how many years from now that she would be returned to me and only me. Eight years was a long time and I loved her dearly. I want to also point out an important part and that is that I NEVER suffered from Allergies or Asthma EVER until Boo or I never would have brought a Cockatoo into my life. It was hearbreaking to have to give her up and it left an emptiness I cannot even begin to explain.

Then Hahnna came along. I was careful to be sure I would not suffer the same fate, and through research, and speaking to other parrot people Imwas confident that a small non powder parrot would be for me. Admittingly, I have always had a bit of fear of any bigger parrot other than the Toos and especially the Macaws for some reason. I primarily made my choice honestly on watching them interact on Youtube videos. I was torn between the Hahn's and the Caiques, but after reading on both decided the Hahn's would be a great fit. Thus far she has been everything I expected, wanted and more.

Since, Boo was a female and it appeared at least through reading and experience with my Too that the females seem to be better family,birds I had my mind pretty set that I would want a female. Well, when I first saw Hahnna there were two in the clutch and neither had been DNA'd as of yet but my heart kept pulling me toward her. I decided at that time she was a male since she seemed to be significantly larger then the other yet also decided male or female she was going to be mine no matter what the sex. She chose me and It was a mutual love right away. Come to find out my gut was wrong and a week later our DNA test was back and Imhad my little girl so I like to think God had her picked out for me from the start:)

Since, I had hand rearing experience Imwas able to do a couple of refreshers and then bring her home with me at seven weeks old. It is not something I reccomend to anyone unless you are really knowledable and comfortable with hand feeding and even then it is risky. However, I will tell you it was such a wnderful experience and I truly believe that a lot of the way Hahnna is now played a part from the fact I had her so young and she got that one on one durring the feedings, that the store or busy breeders do not give. We did abundance weening and I truly believe,that makes a huge difference in their confidence and trust. And by the way, Hahnna weaned at just around 16 weeks old without being forced.

Hahnna, is handled regularly by all of us, husband, and two boys and myself and exposed to our inqisitive Yorkies who have decided that she is just one of them and she has enjoyed interacting with them supervised of course. At five months she has yet to show any kind of nippiness, and will eagerly step up to anyone, us or strangers without reservatuon. Step up is the first command she kearned and were also the first words out of her mouth. I think the socialization plays a very large part i. How they will be as adults and we have and continue to expose her to different people and situations. From seven weeks we started harness training her and taking her in the car, the park, for walks with out Yorkies. I kind of learned this from my past in which I was too over protective with Boo and because of that Boo was friendly yet fearful of new people holding her and she certainly would never walk through a park with us. This time around I was more prepared and was determined not to allow that with Hahnna.

Her speaking ability continues to amaze me, as she word associates. When I hand fed, I used the phrase my Baba, and would repeat it each time I fed her, it got to the point of when she wanted her hand feeding or it was over due or Imwas preparing it, she would eagerly say " my baba" or during weaning there was a day she yelled " i want my baba." Another association is water and bath. Hahnna loves water. Everytime she hears the water now, she will say " i want a bath." Again, it is you teaching to put the word or phrase to something. It is rather adorable to video and watch. She also says park, when I take her harness out, or tells me to step up, and other phrases she will say is "pretty girl. I'm such a pretty girl." Watch ya doing." Or what are you doing." I'm a good girl." And since we do not feed her seed as a diet, I give her safflower seed as a treat. One teaspoon at night, and she knows when it is time for her snack and will say " i want my cookies." I rattle the container and she will run over and pull the lid up. She plays with the dogs, climbing on my rescue G, and bringing food to her to eat, and contrary to what others have pisted on here enjoys nuggling and will roll over on her side, put her head in my hand and fall asleep.

I work, and so I am fortunate enough to have a small room that I converted into a bird room, with a vinyl screen door so Hahnna is out all day. She has a gym in the room and my husband made a window perch for her so she can watch out the window and we leave her cage,open to go in and out of, but when she is tired ahe will go into her cage and into her hut and go to sleep. We do put her i. Her cage at night. We also did not establish a set routine which I think helps a lot with preventing screaming. We changer her times up a lot so if we cannot do,what she expects at a certai time it is ok. Thus far we have had no issue with screaming, just calling when ahe knows I am home. She is not overly demanding,she will do a hawking noise when I come hime and say Hahnna, then fly down to her door and say "step up" but if I do not get right i. To get her she is fine and no screaming. I did read that the best way to prevent scramong is to teach them to speak. As the Hahn's are very vocal and wil either talm or scream depending on what they lean. I have noticed though that she loves to be the center of attention and if she is onme and I am talking to my husband or anyone for that matter she will try to over talj us so we are working o. That some. She does the same with the phone, if I am on it and not paying attention she will start to talm louder and or nip my hamd that is ho,ding the phone. As cute as it is, I am correcting it by removing her from me and outting her on her gym and ignoring her whe she does it.

Hmm what else.... Well she enjoys dinner with is. I even got her her own Minnie Mouse plate (yeah,I am a bit nuts) and she sits with is and has dinner. She enjoys everything and anything. I keep her on fresh fruit, nuts. Veggies, pellets etc. no seed. Everything healthy but give her a small treat of safflower seed at night. However, she loves mashed potatoes and french fries, would drink milk if I let her (but I know they cannot tolerate it so Imhave to hide it from her when I have it) and she loves mac and cgees, which again I hide from her.

Really not much else 8 can say except my husband was never a bird person but is absolutely in love with Hahnna. She has captured al, our hearts. I still miss Boo more then I can write in words, but Hahnna is like a big bird i a small body. I call her little boss. I can't speak for every Hahn's could be I got lucky or maybe as she hits maturity ,it will all change (i sure hope not) but I truly believe that a parrot is only as good or behaved as the amount of time and effort you put in with them. You get what you put in. Although I know like kids they will have their moments and even go theough stages, but I cannot imagine hahnna being anything more then the sweet heart she is. They always said Cockattos scream and pluck etc. again maybe I was lucky but my Boo was the most well behaved Too. Well adjusted and never plucked or screamed. Destructive yeah, man she could take a laptop apart i a matter of seconds like nobodies business, but hey that's there jobs.

As Hahnna gets older I will update, but for now I think these little Hahn's Macaws amke wonderful companions if you put the time i. As with any parrot. They learn what theynare taught.

Hahnna and Elaine

severemomma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer B
Do any macaw owners work full time out of the house? My vet generally discourages having a larger bird if one isnt home 8-10 hours a day so I have not really considered a larger bird. Sorry for posting a different question on this thread. Not saying my vet is correct at all.
I work 9 hours out of the house and my birds are happy healthy birds. when im home they are out with us at all times. A severe, blue and gold , and conure own me.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I work 9 hours out of the house and my birds are happy healthy birds. when im home they are out with us at all times. A severe, blue and gold , and conure own me.
Thank you!

Caz Omega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caroline
I am mom to a 4.5 month old disabled Hahns named Lief. He is the cuddliest of all my birds, absolutely adores being scratched and stroked and will push his head under your hand if he wants more. He was born with only 1 wing, so will be forever flightless, and I am hoping this doesn't affect him negatively later on in in life. He seems to have adjusted to the disability and besides being off balance and sometimes insisting on jumping off his cage while flapping the one remaining wing (even though he had climbing ropes to the ground) and then battling to right himself again, he seems fine otherwise. I think he does this to get more attention sometimes, as he doesn't like to be left alone for long and he knows this will get him instant attention. He has started talking and says Hello very clearly, calls the dog 'Kodak' and says a few other words I can't quite make out, he also makes 2 different kissing noises to myself and my daughter and whistles a bit. He is friendly to everyone and doesn't mind anyone touching him. He loves anything shiny though and has bitten all the decorations off my tops and if anyone is wearing shiny jewellery, I have to warn them, even noticed him being interested in a ladies gold tooth today, that could've been awkward. :) He squawks a bit in the morning when he hears me get up so that I can open his cage for him, then he Hello's me 5 or 6 times happily, other than that, he hasn't really made much annoying sounds at all. I know he is still very young and I sincerely hope he won't change much as he is just too adorable and I can take him everywhere with me at the moment. Definately the most loving of my fids at this point.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I can add something about yellow collareds once Duncan and I know each other a little better.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd just like to add a little notation to this thread about safety for mini-macaws. As someone who has been on this board for a number of years, I've seen a lot of tragedies happen, particularly with the little Hahn's macaws. I've lost one myself, and I've seen at least 6 other little ones lose their lives (I can see their faces and say their names in my head). That's seven I can think of right off the top of my head. Some were killed by larger birds, some choked or got caught in their toys, others were killed by dogs or other pets. These tiny little macaws have a lot of attitude and pizzazz and can seem indestructible, but in reality they are fragile and small, and accidents take far too many of them. If you are considering a Hahn's macaw, or if you already have one, please heed the lessons that some of us have learned so harshly, take precautions, and I wish you and yours all the best :hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's interesting that you add that last post Holiday. I just realized that I know of at least 4 hahns macaws who have died just from this forum. All of them were girls. :(

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's interesting that you add that last post Holiday. I just realized that I know of at least 4 hahns macaws who have died just from this forum. All of them were girls. :(
I know of 5 girls (including my Mattie), and the other two were boys (one wasn't DNA'd but the owner always thought he was male).

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Yoshi once got his head stuck in a toy but luckily Kelsey found him before he got hurt.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yoshi once got his head stuck in a toy but luckily Kelsey found him before he got hurt.
Any word about Yoshi, Kiersten? I keeping hoping he will be found. :sadhug2:

My Max has gotten his toe caught in a G-A-G net and in his cage, his beak caught in a chain link.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Any word about Yoshi, Kiersten? I keeping hoping he will be found. :sadhug2:
My Max has gotten his toe caught in a G-A-G net and in his cage, his beak caught in a chain link.
Nothing. :sad6:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What happened to them all?

Three were killed by larger birds; one swallowed a metal fragment; one was hanged by a toy; one flew out the door in winter, and one was killed by a dog. Actually, if I went back through the archives, I might find another or two. And, these do not include those that are currently known to be missing...