• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Mini Macaws

Begone2

Meeting neighbors
I had a Hahn's macaw back in the 1990's. I bought him from a regular pet store in our city centre, so didn't know anything about his background, although I was told he was a young bird. This was back in the day when stores sold birds - they don't here now, and I think this is a good thing, anyway I digress. I called him "Biquito" (little beak in Portuguese). From the start, this bird was a dream. He was well-behaved, and didn't seem to mind me going out to work. He would ride round with me when I got home, and was very affectionate. His noise level was very reasonable, and my neighbours in adjacent apartments had no cause to complain. He was free-flighted, and enjoyed his freedom, but never once attempted to chew or destroy anything. He wasn't nippy, and was very gentle with his beak, although he was curious and would nibble anything new. He particularly liked nibbling my fingers and would take great delight in inspecting my fingernails. He always went back to his cage with no fuss, and slept there. Sometimes when I wanted a nap, I would lie down, and he would perch on the side of my head, and settle down. I could hear his little heart beating, and slow down as he relaxed. He was content to sleep there as long as I was lying down, and would wake when I did. I moved to a foreign country to work (Portugal) and was able to take him with me, obtaining the correct paperwork. My new house there had a balcony, which I wired with mesh, giving him a good open space in which to fly. It was high up, and surrounded with tall trees. He seemed very content, and for the first and last time I heard a macaw actually sing! I had him for six years or so, and he didn't change, get hormonal or grumpy as he matured. He had a tragic end though - I went on holiday and left him in the care of a friend, who kept him in a home-made aviary under a staircase. I can't figure out why, but he got his beak stuck in the mesh of the aviary one night. It seems he must have jumped onto the mesh and grabbed hold of it with his beak. He was stuck on the mesh all night, and there was a severe rainstorm. When my friend found him, he was still alive, but soaked and in shock. The skin around the beak was very red and swollen. He was taken to a vet straight away, but died later that day. Without doubt I had been very lucky in the time that I had had with this bird. It was a real privilege.

I knew a breeder out in Portugal, and she had received a gift of a young Severe macaw from another local breeder. Apparently, this bird had arrived from Brazil in the form of an egg, and had been hatched and hand raised in Portugal. At that time, there seemed to be a trade in eggs, but I believe this has been stopped now. When I visited my friend, she had just bred a handful of Yellow Collared macaws. I was looking for another small macaw, and so was there to check them out. They were in the same room as this Severe, and flying round excitedly. The Severe looked distainfully down his beak at these smaller birds flying about. None of them would come near me. Before any of them changed their minds, the Severe flew on to my shoulder. That was that. I went home with the Severe. I called her Carmen. By this time, I had internet, and was able to get some information from a great forum called "Birds'nways". Some of you may know of it. I think it has folded now. Through that forum, I learned a lot from other posters, particularly about diet, giving her more than just seed, with plenty of veggies and sources of vitamin A. Anyway, they had suggested that Severes were particularly "hard-headed", stubborn, and one-person birds. Carmen proved to be quite a sweet bird. She was the quietest macaw I have ever known. Hardly a peep out of her. She could be destructive, and kept me going, looking around for things for her to chew. Portugal wasn't big on pet shops, and there weren't many commercial outlets for toys. She was also quite affectionate, and would snuggle under my chin when she wanted some cuddles, despite being quite a big bird. As has been stated already in this thread, Severes are great flyers, and are quite pretty, with their flashes of red as they take off. Carmen definately didn't like me going out to work, and she had a knack of hiding behind my neck when she realised I was going out. I would gently back up against a wall, and she would take the hint, stepping on to my arm, and then on to her stand, allowing me to leave. I missed a few buses over her though! Occasionally she would have an unexpected temper tantrum, and give me a bite. I learned to watch for the signs, but she could still surprise me. I never did find out why she had these moods. I had her for 8 years, but had to leave her behind when I came back home to the UK. She didn't have any papers. However, she is still with a Portuguese family who spoil her and give her lots of company. By all accounts, she is doing well.

I came home to Scotland to look after my mother, so I was home all the time. It wasn't long before I acquired another mini macaw. Again I was very lucky. Someone was advertising a Yellow Collared macaw in an advert on the internet, some distance away. I knew these adverts were full of risks, but I took a chance. The bird was handed to me in a carrying case at the railway station, and gently nibbled my finger all the way home. When we arrived and I opened the carrier, she rapidly climbed onto my shoulder and gave me a face rub. I realised at the time that an unknown macaw shouldn't be let near your face, but she was just too fast for me. Again I was lucky. Dobbie (named after a character in the Harry Potter novels) was a real character. I googled her name and Yellow Collared Macaw, and found out a little about her history. She had been bred in Hull, England, and was about 16 years old. By following the trail of adverts, it was clear that she had changed hands quite a few times. Her breast feathers were a little thin, (which soon improved) and she had a scar on one of her toes where it looked like she had been kept on a string for some time. She was a real velcro bird. She wouldn't leave me for a second. She had "separation anxiety" and would scream the moment I was out of sight. She would also let my mother know that I was close by and coming home. She slept in my bed at night. I was aware that this could be dangerous for her, in case I turned and crushed her during the night. However we evolved a solution. I slept with a duvet with a bedspread cover on top. Dobbie would snuggle between the duvet and the top cover, so I could move around and she wouldn't be affected. At six pm without fail every evening, whether it was dark or light outside, she would make her way into the bedroom and disappear under the bed cover. There she would sleep all night. I installed blackout curtains, so she wouldn't wake me at the crack of dawn. It was a good arrangement. Apart from the noise, she was a great companion bird. Once, when I was sitting on the stair, talking on the phone, she snuggled underneath my shirt. After a short while, an egg rolled out onto my lap! I believe they only do that sort of thing if they are very comfortable with you. My mother had Altzheimer's, and her condition meant that I couldn't cope with her care and that of Dobbie. I arranged for her to be rehomed with a family in the next town, promising that they would keep in touch with Dobbie's progress. Unfortunately they didn't. I miss her terribly, and felt guilty about finding her a new home. When my mum passed away last year, I really felt the loss. The house was empty and very quiet! After some time I answered yet another internet advert for an Illiger's macaw, who has filled the large gap in my life, and is settling down well. Reading the other posts in this thread, I think I have been extremely blessed with the birds that have come and gone in my life. Not too many bad or ugly moments.

Begone2

Meeting neighbors
I am attempting to post some photos of some of these birds in Shutterburg Street. I hope that is the right thread to post them.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is all great information. I’m getting a breeding pair of severe’s this weekend. It’s a great reference on what to expect from the babies as they show up.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
There’s this little Hahns macaw at a local bird store/rescue and I’ve been debating with myself whether to go back or not... because I know what will most likely happen if I do. Especially after reading this thread. :rolleyes:

Sign attached to the cage said he was a lil rough around the edges, not sure of age but definitely an adult so I’d assume an owner relinquishment, would have to ask for more info.

Seeing him huddled in the back of his cage just broke my heart...

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
There’s this little Hahns macaw at a local bird store/rescue and I’ve been debating with myself whether to go back or not... because I know what will most likely happen if I do. Especially after reading this thread. :rolleyes:

Sign attached to the cage said he was a lil rough around the edges, not sure of age but definitely an adult so I’d assume an owner relinquishment, would have to ask for more info.

I would probably end up thinking about him until I went back for him. That's how I ended up with Fred! I was not planning on getting another bird. He stole my heart! :laugh: I know I'm not helping, sorry!!

2MuchSauce

Moving in
Real Name
bubba

what kind of bird is Lark

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
why when I google and try to see photos are they all green?
Quaker parrots are naturally green. Any other color is a man made mutation. Blue is a popular one, while other colors (yellow, grey, white) ate currently much less common

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Hello everyone. I live in San Diego and trying to find a baby Hahn. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a reputable breeder or store that currently has some up for adoption?