• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Lovebirds

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
My babies throw food all over the place and poop everywhere. Doesn't really matter what kind of bird you get they are all going to be messy. But as @Garet said they are very stubborn and they are also very territorial of their person.

Jo C

Moving in
All birds will be messy, you won't believe how the floor of my room looks after a day of particular bad destruction and I have just two lovies(they have the run of the whole room 24/7 though). Seeds are easy to clean but fruit and veggies can be trickier in my experience. If you do your research and are aware of their needs, like lots of fun toys, foraging opportunities, avian vet care, their noise, how to treat them(as in respect etc.) and devoted to your birds I don't think there is a problem:)
So do you have to let them out all day or can they stay in their cage while I'm away and be content if I let them out when I'm back from school? I wouldn't want to have unhappy birds!

Jo C

Moving in
I don't think it's a bad idea as long as you do your research and are prepared for some painful bites. Lovebirds are very stubborn and love to chew and get into everything.

Some lovebirds can be very messy. Two of my six are toilet trained, but I still find food and poops everywhere. Mine aren't as bad as my tiel, but a few like to make pellet, poop and paper soup in their water dishes, which is very gross to clean in the morning.
I didn't know you could toilet train birds! Does that mean they only poop in their cages or do they have a specific place where they go? Sorry if I sound weird, I just really need to gauge how messy and dirty it will be having birds because I don't think my parents will be too pleased if my room is filthy all the time

Jo C

Moving in
My babies throw food all over the place and poop everywhere. Doesn't really matter what kind of bird you get they are all going to be messy. But as @Garet said they are very stubborn and they are also very territorial of their person.
Are males as territorial? And does that mean they'll decide that some parts of my room are theirs or does that just mean they won't want me to interact with their cages too much? Also, how hard is it to clean up every day?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So do you have to let them out all day or can they stay in their cage while I'm away and be content if I let them out when I'm back from school? I wouldn't want to have unhappy birds!
I wouldn’t reccomend starting out this way, it is absolutely great in my opinion if they don’t need a cage, but in the beginning likely they Will appriciate the safety of their Own spot besides the fact that it isn’t safe because your room is not bird proofed yet:) I do recommend making a separate thread though so more people can advice you. I believe from your posts you are a young person, so am I, but it is important to understand the impact a bird Will have on your life. They can live over 20 years and Will need attention And enrichment every day, even while you go off to university. It can be done, I am doing it right now! But it is just that I want to make sure you know, otherwise it could mean lots of trouble down the road.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I just really need to gauge how messy and dirty it will be having birds because I don't think my parents will be too pleased if my room is filthy all the time
C80F6C74-4C94-4C3E-BAE0-E519D0311F00.png
This is a part of my room right before I started cleaning, just like I did the day before. This is not abnormal, it looks like this every day again:lol: and much worse Some days:) Are your parents aware of the vet costs? When a parrot falls ill, the treatment of an Avian vet can be very expensive. The last thing you want to happen if your bird falling ill and your parents refusing to get him help.

Jo C

Moving in
View attachment 276410
This is a part of my room right before I started cleaning, just like I did the day before. This is not abnormal, it looks like this every day again:lol: and much worse Some days:) Are your parents aware of the vet costs? When a parrot falls ill, the treatment of an Avian vet can be very expensive. The last thing you want to happen if your bird falling ill and your parents refusing to get him help.
That's true, I'll have to look into the vet costs in my country. And that seems like a lot of work every day. Also regarding your previous reply, I've already had a long living let so I am well aware of the commitment it can be, I've just started looking into birds and I'm doing all the research I can but I won't do anything rash. I'll keep considering it until I feel like I'm really ready.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I didn't know you could toilet train birds! Does that mean they only poop in their cages or do they have a specific place where they go? Sorry if I sound weird, I just really need to gauge how messy and dirty it will be having birds because I don't think my parents will be too pleased if my room is filthy all the time
One of them poops in a little doggy bowl I gave her, the other has a dish attached to the side of her cage right under where she sleeps at night. She either goes there or on her morning poop stand. I wish I could tell you how they did it, but they both came to me trained from their prior homes.

Even my ones who aren't exactly trained have certain spots both in and out of their cages that they like to go. It's still messy, but it's not too difficult to clean. It can smear if you clean it off right away, but if you have a napkin and just pinch and pick it off, it's an easy clean. Even dried stuff on the floor or other objects is easy to clean. When my birds are out of the room, I just spritz whatever they've pooped on with a little windex and wipe it off if it's a surface I can't take to the tub and just hose off. If it's something they routinely use their beaks on, I just use warm water and elbow grease.

And it's not a weird question around these parts. Talking about poop is just one of the things you do when you have birds.

Also: JSYK Birds don't poop while they sleep. Morning poops are only second to egg poops in size and just general grossness. I wouldn't handle your birds in the morning until after they poop.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are males as territorial? And does that mean they'll decide that some parts of my room are theirs or does that just mean they won't want me to interact with their cages too much? Also, how hard is it to clean up every day?
In my experience the males aren’t as cage-possessive as the females, but they may be possessive of you. :)

Also, try not to encourage potty training as it can have detrimental effects on the bird (they may think they’re only “allowed” to go in one place and try to hold it, etc).

Garet

Real Name
Garet
In my experience the males aren’t as cage-possessive as the females, but they may be possessive of you. :)

Also, try not to encourage potty training as it can have detrimental effects on the bird (they may think they’re only “allowed” to go in one place and try to hold it, etc).
I haven't noticed the negative effects with my girls. If they're not near their toilets, they tend to just go to the bathroom wherever they are, and they'll go as often as my non-trained birds. I wish I knew more about how they were trained...

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't noticed the negative effects with my girls. If they're not near their toilets, they tend to just go to the bathroom wherever they are, and they'll go as often as my non-trained birds. I wish I knew more about how they were trained...
I’ve heard of it causing problems when people are actively trying to train them, especially when they’re scolded for going. If your girls weren’t trained, they may be acting in the interest of trying to keep their waste to a certain area (maybe due to nesting).

They’re very smart and some of them will pick up on things on their own. Some of mine will try to fly, jump, or lean off to do what they need to do, even though I tell them it’s okay to go, lol.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I’ve heard of it causing problems when people are actively trying to train them, especially when they’re scolded for going. If your girls weren’t trained, they may be acting in the interest of trying to keep their waste to a certain area (maybe due to nesting).

They’re very smart and some of them will pick up on things on their own. Some of mine will try to fly, jump, or lean off to do what they need to do, even though I tell them it’s okay to go, lol.
Hah, that's cute. :p I don't really keep up with my girls and where they go. Triss and Yen have their toilets in the cage and a spot for their morning load, and that's about it. They do have their favorite spots in each room, but I don't really say anything if they go elsewhere. Yen likes going to the bathroom in the bathroom or behind my door, if it's closed, Triss likes standing on the big perch in my room or in her water bowl, despite her cage door being open and thus access to the big perch. She never does it in her bowl when the door's shut, though. :confused: The only place they won't poop is on their cage floors, which isn't an issue since they have toilets in their cages. Even my untrained boys have their spots in the house.
They like to keep their living space cleaner than mine. :lol: At least it keeps cleaning up after them easier for me.

RandaPanda

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm a new bird owner, but my baby is so amazing I just had to post!

The Good: Alfie is soooo loving! He wants to be with me 24/7. He likes snuggles and scritches. He loves to play with his toys and is able to keep himself occupied in his cage as long as he can't see me. Lol. He is so gentle. He doesn't like to go to new people, but I'm never worried about him biting. He's so funny. If he does something and I laugh, he'll try to do it again. He's so smart too! He is incredibly easy to train, and thats been fun for both of us!

The Bad: Alfie likes to nibble on fingers, and doesn't understand why fingernails are a thing. If i'm not careful, he WILL try to peel them off. We're working on it, but it's not fun.

The Ugly: Alfie doesn't understand how small he is. We have a dog who is amazingly good with him, but I would be in serious trouble if she wasn't! Alfie isn't afraid of her at all, and never was. I constantly fear him flying to something that isn't friendly.

All in all, my lovebird is my best friend. Granted, he was purchased from an amazing breeder known for her incredibly sweet birds. Either way, I love him so much. I'm so glad I took the step to get a bird :hug8:

Carmy735

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Carmela
I recently inherited a male love bird and I had 3 cockatiels already. I've only had him a couple of weeks but he is quite the character. Funny, inquisitive, active and chatty. My cockatiels take time to get to know company. Tony however, has to check everyone out right away lol. He is super friendly. None of the birds let me leave a room without all 4 letting out a weet sound and landing on me. Head, shoulders, chest, I'm covered lol. He doesn't go after my other birds but will nip at their beaks if they get close so im always near by and put my arm barrier down if they get close no one is hurt. Yesterday him and Cinnamon had a second of beak nips though.

I've heard love birds will injure and bite the feet off of other birds. If I leave the room for the kitchen, he gets caged, just in case but he has never gone after feet yet thankfully.

He does sometimes bite my elbows or behind my knees when I watch tv on the bed though lol. It isnt real hard but is a pinch lol. I need to cover my legs now lol

HerbieTheBip

Meeting neighbors
I agree with "The Ugly". My bird would very happily take on things so much bigger than him. We had a super young puppy I was fostering, and Herbie A, landed on her, and B tried to bite her. He was probably jealous because He was up for way longer a day than he wanted to be. He had 15 minutes out before my nap so I could get up in 2 hours and feed the baby.
She was totally asleep, so no big danger, also I war right there holding her. Birb did no care.
Also took care of a pittie that got loose. Born did not come out of course. But I have a picture of him sniffing my bird through the cage and Herbie just swung on his swing and peeped at him. There was no fear. He even got closer to the dog. Again I was right there and did correct the dog when I felt he was getting fixated. Mostly the dog left him alone.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
In my opinion, the ugly about lovebirds is when they're a baby they're cute, cuddly... when they grow up... ATTACK!!!
(these are just my lovebirds, every bird is different.)

Partybirdy

Moving in
Real Name
Conner
I just thought I'd add, since I can't edit that post anymore on the subject of biting... I kept a bite calendar after that first post and tracked real bites I received. Nips, bluffing, and the time she headbutted me didn't count.

I know the hens are notorious for being aggressive, maybe Peanut is a special case, but with good understanding of her, trust, and respect we went from some time in February (around when I started tracking) to October 7th without a single bite. She didn't bite me for several months. :)

On the 7th, I decided to be an idiot and offer her a palm full of millet while she was throwing a tiny tantrum in a cupboard/perceived nest (I don't remember what she was upset about, but I needed to get her out because I had to leave.) She doesn't like me "touching" her millet at the best of times, but will tolerate it if she's in the right mood. She wasn't in the right mood and I even knew it.

She basically went "Your puny offering shall not appease my wrath" and nailed me in probably what was the tenderest spot on the bottom of a finger. (I was, however, able to pull her out since she latches on like a snapping turtle and somehow get her caged so I wasn't late.)
Yeah my lovebird Rosy bites when he doesn’t get his way or favorite treat. Before he wanted to explore the house so he took a trip. While I Glad that the dogs were outside.

Kathryn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathryn
I'll add my experience with my lovebird.
First off, I have to agree with Sondra's statement that lovies are super-adorable is a fact. :lol:

My lovebird, Topaz is an 8 year old male. I've had him since he weaned.

The Good - He's a total sweety. He's never bitten anyone, will go to all the family members (he especially likes dangling off my husband's glasses). He's always in a good mood. He's not as destructive as some of the hens described here. For toys, he seems to prefer things that he can bang around and make noise. He's very cuddly and likes to tuck into the collar of my shirt, especially in the evenings. He's an awesome little flier.

The Bad - He's not afraid of the bigger birds, and so I have to be very careful when I take him out to be sure I close the birdroom door so he can't fly back in to "visit". My grey, for sure, would do him in if she got the chance. Sometimes he'll pick a particular toy or perch to regurgitate to. I often have to remove the toy because he'll "feed" it so much he can lose weight. He's really picky about eating pellets. I have to feed him soaked Zupreem Natural pellets, and he'll only eat them if he's perched on one hand while I pop the soaked pellets in his little beak. :rolleyes: No , he's not spoiled! ;)

The Ugly - There just isn't an ugly with Topaz. He's easy, cheerful, cute, cuddly. Shhhh - don't tell my other birds but he's my favorite. :heart:
Yes, my Keeco (keeks is what is pet name has been lately) loves hanging off my glasses too. He has never bitten me ever out of spite. Once on my nose but it was an accident. He is so adorable and I love him so very much. He will climb into my shirt and do what I call the "nest bird". It is so adorable. He does have gumption. He likes to fly out and bite my BFA on the toes. He does not seem to have any idea he is so much smaller than my BFA, Ricco. Or maybe he doesn't care. I don't know. He is very territorial of me. Yeah spoiled, I know about this too. My Keeco is VERY spoiled. He likes to fly to me from across the room. It makes my heart feel so full that he would make the effort to fly all the way to me from wherever he is and I am. Some people say how do you know when your bird loves you, well when they really love you it is so evident. You can't miss the signs. I have had my "Keeks" for 5 years and I love him so much. It took me a long time to convert my sweet boy to pellets. But now that he is converted he looks and acts more healthy then he did when he ate only seeds. I love my flock. These are my birds......

Keeco - Peach faced lovebird 4/28/2015
Ricco - Blue Fronted Amazon 5/1/2017
Sunbeam - Olive Mutation Fishers Lovebird 8/29/2019
(recent addition of 5 days now)
4 zebra finches - two couples - hatch day unknown
Lovey - Golden Pearl Cockatiel RIP on 4/30/2020
We miss you so much Lovey!!

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
My Ocha has gone a long ways since I first adopted him at 3 months. Despite my lack of experience and knowledge back then I managed to make him trust me enough and he responds to recall and stationing, even goes home to his favorite cage.
However it is once again due to my inexperience I have made some mistakes - he still won't step up to my finger (he likes my shoulder instead) and is still quite timid, as in, he doesn't like to try new things...

I personally would not advice lovebird as a starter bird, they're so intelligent that an oblivious owner might make the same mistake I did... or even lock them forever which is just sad. Another reason is their biting. Hooo boy that should be included in the 'ugly' section, they have pliers installed in their mouth there :) I often joke that he is a little destroyer

All the same, I love him so much. Peach faced lovebird was my dream bird in the past. Theres also one experience special to him: he once escaped, and I couldn't sleep thinking about him. But he returned to me next morning when I call him down from a telephone pole :) my sweet but weird bird haha

Attachments

medibirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Luis M.
only thing i would say is to not pair with budgies, lovebirds are naturally very territorial so they would likely pick a fight that can leave a very grody mark on a budgie or even a cockatiel, per se, they are also strong in terms of their beaks, as their significantly bigger than the beak on a budgie, so budgies would be defenseless in that situation, and to humans, lovebirds can leave bleeding on a finger, while budgies feel like a pinch. its unfortunate since i was considering it but new research came by and i realized how aggressive these birds can be.