• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good, the bad, and the ugly about Large Macaws

ScarletJax

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacob
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

I have a scarlet macaw. He came to me at "two or three' and has been with me for 4 years. That puts him about 6 or 7, i'm thinking he's closer to 7 than 6. I call him a male but he's not DNA tested so i really dont know what his gender is.

Scarlet macaws are stereotyped to be nippy/beaky. I've seen many sources say this isnt always true but my mac is most definitely beaky/nippy. He is very mouth-oriented. He is compelled to taste, touch, test everything with is mouth/beak. When he came to me, i had to teach him how hard is too hard. he genuinely didnt know his own strength.

when he bites, he's a crusher rather than a cutter. his beak is designed to crush nuts in the wild so it only stands to reason. now that's not to say, he cant cut or poke with that long point, but generally his bite is a crushing bite that bruises more than cuts or slashes like a 'zon for instance. The power in that beak is great but he can be so very delicate with it, too!

a word about noise. :eek: um LOUD is a good one. you can easily hear him from a couple blocks away when he shrieks, and that's with him in the house with all the doors and windows closed. Its a high pitched shriek that has no problem breaking the glasses in my neighbors' cabinets! :hehe: He talks up a storm, tho too. he can carry on a conversation, tho not quite a linear conversation. he understands alot!

When it comes to cuddling, my mac could easily be re-classified as a cockatoo! As he's gotten older, he doesnt cuddle as much as he did when he was still a youngster but he still will happily cuddle with me. he will snuggle up on my shoulder to my head and wrap his wing round me as if to hug. :heart:

Distruction. wow! that huge beak can do damage with ease! one gentle looking exploratory nibble and you havent any buttons on your shirt! or you have a nice little chunk outta your door molding. It really doesnt look like he's exerting any pressure, but that is just deception.

the patented macaw lunge! omg! they are SO WELL KNOWN for this move. my skittles is no different. his favorite game is scare the human. lunge, flap, and holler... human jumps or flinches. he's a happy guy! Macaws LOVE drama. any drama. if you dont give it to them, they will TAKE it from you! if he nips and gets no reaction, he thinks "oh! she didnt feel it.. i'll hafta try HARDER" so i just give it to him. a light nip and a 'rawhr!!' and he and i are hollering together. he gets his drama and i dont end up with horrible bruises!

i'm sure there's more, but that's all i have for now. who else has some great info??
How Did you teach the hard is to hard I have a male Scarlet named Jaxon or Jax he’s a year 6months old we have had him since he was weaned so he is hand fed. Has full flight so he loves to fly he is very nippy and dramatic I am his person you could say so he’s very jealous over me and will jump at anyone that’s near he doesn’t really bite he will leave a bruise sometimes but he has just recently started to act this way. He is so hyper at times when I’m around he will not be calm he is a finger bird just like you described he knows when he does wrong we taught him bad bird but he has recently just started saying it back to us and then back at the pinching and nibbling fingers. It hurts most of the time any advice would be appreciated!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How Did you teach the hard is to hard I have a male Scarlet named Jaxon or Jax he’s a year 6months old we have had him since he was weaned so he is hand fed. Has full flight so he loves to fly he is very nippy and dramatic I am his person you could say so he’s very jealous over me and will jump at anyone that’s near he doesn’t really bite he will leave a bruise sometimes but he has just recently started to act this way. He is so hyper at times when I’m around he will not be calm he is a finger bird just like you described he knows when he does wrong we taught him bad bird but he has recently just started saying it back to us and then back at the pinching and nibbling fingers. It hurts most of the time any advice would be appreciated!!!
That member hasn’t been here since 2015. I wouldn’t expect a reply from them. :)