• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good the Bad and the Ugly about Large Cockatoos

Phoenix22

Moving in
Real Name
Carol Miller
OMG. I had a U2 several years ago and she was such a live. I have been hunting for another but after reading all this I am a bit worried. I have 4 chihuahuas and now I’m scared that the bird might hurt them.
I miss the live my U2 used to show me. She loved to cuddle and she just about stole my heart every time she said in he Elmo ish voice “Hello Mama”.
What do I do if the bird hates me or my sig other? What do I do if it attacks my dogs? I want one so bad though.
I wish I could find an older bird who has a proven track record that doesn’t prefer men or women and which is good with other birds and dogs.
im thinking maybe I would be better off with an older rescue. Any suggestions?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
OMG. I had a U2 several years ago and she was such a live. I have been hunting for another but after reading all this I am a bit worried. I have 4 chihuahuas and now I’m scared that the bird might hurt them.
I miss the live my U2 used to show me. She loved to cuddle and she just about stole my heart every time she said in he Elmo ish voice “Hello Mama”.
What do I do if the bird hates me or my sig other? What do I do if it attacks my dogs? I want one so bad though.
I wish I could find an older bird who has a proven track record that doesn’t prefer men or women and which is good with other birds and dogs.
Have you checked your local rescues? They frequently have adult cockatoos. What state are you located in? Or what country if not, the US ?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Being a responsible cockatoo owner means setting up routines that keep your bird out of trouble and out of conflict with your other pets. My cockatoos are either caged or on a gym. They do not run around on the floor. That is not a routine that is allowed around here. They have big enough cages so that if they can't behave and stay on a gym, then I don't feel guilty about putting them back in the cage. Managing human emotions is a failure point for many cockatoos. Lots of people get rid of their cockatoo because they feel guilty. Set up the cage and toy situation from the beginning so that if life throws you a curve ball and it can't come out, can't get snuggle time, you don't have to feel guilty. My dogs know that they can't be on the couch if the bird is sitting with me. Therefore, the bird can't attack the dog. If I had a spouse or a child, they would be expected to follow the same rules as the dogs. If your spouse is the type that thinks things like "I won't have my movements controlled in my own house," then don't get a cockatoo. If the bird is on me or out with me on the couch, they don't get close. If the bird tries to attack someone, I just redirect it and put it's attention back on me or a toy. If that doesn't work, it goes back in the cage for it's own safety. If it becomes a bigger problem such that the bird can't come out without attacking someone, then their needs to be further modification of the HUMAN's behavior. Such as, the hated person or dog does not come into the room while the bird is out and out of cage time is super structured with trick training, activities, or the bird just has the room to itself and the room has been previously set up to be bird proof with no concern for property damage. They are a high maintenance pet and a thinking person's pet. You are constantly managing behavior and by that I mean, managing the human's behavior and the environment in order to control the bird's behavior. Some people are not flexible enough to have to deal with that in their own home. This is not a pet where love and snuggles are enough. In fact, leading with emotions is a quick path to getting a cockatoo and then giving it to someone else within a year or two.

Phoenix22

Moving in
Real Name
Carol Miller
Have you checked your local rescues? They frequently have adult cockatoos. What state are you located in? Or what country if not, the US ?
I’m in Vermont. Can’t seem to find anyone up this way.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’m in Vermont. Can’t seem to find anyone up this way.
You can keep an eye on rescueme.org - I think it’ll even let you set up alerts for certain species in your state