• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good, the bad, and the ugly about Indian Ringnecks.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
I must be weird as I love everything about my boy. lol

I've had him 3 years in August, he was approximately 10 when I got him and neglected.

He isn't a tame bird, thinks my hands are demons but I love all his quirks.

The way he screams at intruders I can't even see... the way sometimes he doesn't want to go to bed yet so he refuses to come out the budgie cage as he knows I struggle to get to him in there... :laughin: The way he gives me the hairy eyeball because he wants something...usually a nutriberry/pelletberry/avicake...he goes to his foraging toys and makes sure I notice it is empty... :laughin:

When I first got him a cage he screamed to make sure I knew he didn't like it and wanted a new one!

He answers me back as well and tells me off. If I went out and didn't come back on time he either gives me a good telling off or turns his back on me and gives me silent treatment!

He also goes on curtain pole if he notices I've disappeared to fetch his medication!! Such a cheeky boy. lol

Can't think of one bad or ugly thing about him. :loveit:

20190904_203104.jpg

plgondeck

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Patricia
I have had mine for almost 3 weeks. Even though hand raised and fed by a very experienced handler, he does not like my hand. I can barely pet him and when he bites, it it painful. He is beautiful, I love the sounds he makes but it makes me sad that I can pet my own bird. I will be patient but right now, he hates me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have had mine for almost 3 weeks. Even though hand raised and fed by a very experienced handler, he does not like my hand. I can barely pet him and when he bites, it it painful. He is beautiful, I love the sounds he makes but it makes me sad that I can pet my own bird. I will be patient but right now, he hates me.
Im not so sure birds have a thing for hating anyone. That is more a human thing. Birds tend to do most of what they do for survival reasons so your bird will need to learn your hands are good things and bring positive things rather than them being the big monsters that grab at birds. You will get there, persistence and patience pays off. Have a nosey through the training court forums- there is heaps of great tips there for gaining trust.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
You need to learn to love your bird no matter what. If you put conditions on your love it a recipe for disaster. I've had mine 3 years and he isn't into being petted or hand fed.

Rose82_

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
The Good:
So I’ve had my male IRN Tico for about 2 1/2 years now, I got him when he was just 3 or 4 months old and he was my first large purchase, definitely one of my best decisions. I’ve always been really into animals and have always kept birds and got into reptiles about a year ago as well. Ringnecks had been a dream bird for me for awhile before I got him so I was so excited when he showed up at my local pet store, I went back and bought him a week after seeing him.

Anyway, you notice right off the bat how intelligent and food driven they are, which makes them easy to train and bond with. They definitely have personalities of their own and favorite foods (Tico LOVES apples peanuts dried peppers from his seed mix and especially stealing my breakfast cereal) It didn’t take long for him to start talking too, probably a little over a year after I got him he started saying his name “Tico Tico” which was soon followed by many more words and phrases which now include “Tico Baby” “Tico Good Boy” “Pretty Birdy” “You’re so Cute” “What Are you doing?” “Come Here Tico” and he can dog whistle, he does the catcall whistle, and knows the whistle part at the end of the Spongebob theme song. He also will kiss me and my other birds making an a adorable kissing sound. They learn very fast and even pick up on words you don’t intentionally try to teach them. The clarity of his speech is really something too, as it sounds almost human sometimes.

He’s very cuddly when he’s in the mood for affection and likes to be pet and get head scratches. He LOVES taking showers in the sink and if the water is warm enough he’ll literally sit under it for as long as I leave it on. When he was a baby he would even let me clip his nails without needing to hold him or wrap him in a towel he’d just give me his foot willingly (that changed as he got older) He has very beautiful feathers and the most adorable blue eyes that dilate like crazy when he’s excited or happy.

The Bad:
While Tico has been overall a joy to have in my life and I wouldn’t trade him for the world, he is by no means all roses and sunshine. If you’re looking to get any bird larger or smarter than a cockatiel you should know what you’re getting into. In many ways parrots can be like small children, they are VERY messy, can be extremely loud and annoying, go through tantrums and mood swings, and they need a whole lot of attention.

Up until about 1.5 years old Tico was the sweetest little Angel and I really had no problems with him whatsoever aside from the maintenance of cleaning up after his constant pooping and chewing things up (and yes they chew and destroy everything) The hormonal/bluffing stage for Indian ringnecks especially males, is very real.

Tico became very territorial over his food and his cage, striking at me and lowering his head puffing up feathers dilating pupils whenever I refilled his seed dishes, screaming very loudly nonstop for attention (and I mean nonstop), he has bitten me a few times but only ever drawn blood once, he stopped letting me clip his nails and needed to be held in a towel (which is pretty normal I’m surprised he ever let me clip them at all.)

Once his wings fully grew in (the pet store clipped them when I first got him) he would still fly to me at first, but as he became more hormonal and independent he realized that if he didn’t want to go back in his cage (even after several hours of free flying around the house) he could just fly away from me. Eventually it got to the point where he wouldn’t even perch for me anymore and it was like years of bonding and training had just gone out the window, everytime he was outside of his cage he would fly away as soon as I got near him bc he thought I’d put him back. I would have to chase him for a very long time before I’d catch him if I wanted or needed to put him away which was very stressful for both of us. It became a safety hazard as I couldn’t catch him to be sure he wouldn’t fly out the door if someone were coming over or my family members were going in and out of the house.

Also I couldn’t walk away from the room he was in while he was outside of his cage because he destroys everything he sees and likes to chew on wires, meanwhile the whole time he’s out, he’s pooping on the furniture the floors the counters the table, everything. I also can’t leave him in my room by himself if he’s not in his cage because I have heat lamps for my reptiles and he has chewed the wires in the past, which could both ruin expensive lamps, and electrocute him.

He pushes things off counters, takes bites out of my posters, throws decorations on the floor, I vacuum my floor every day and wash my bed sheets at least once or twice a week because he poops on them, he has destroyed several sets of blinds bc he likes to chew and climb on them, you get the gist. If he sees me eating anything he will try to take it from me (he’ll try to take it right out of my mouth if he can) if he sees me with food and he’s in his cage he will scream violently until I give him some or leave or cover his cage with a blanket. He loves to chew on pens and pencils particularly and he will very sneakily steal them from me and run or fly away so I can’t get it back. He probably thinks this is hilarious. Remember IRNs are intelligent and they will use this to mess with you.

With the exception of his mood swings Tico had always been incredibly tame and sweet but this really only applies to me. He is very skittish and deathly afraid of all other people no matter how much I try to get him used to being around other humans. While I can hold him upside down on his back flat on my palm and he’ll just lay there calmly (when he’s in a good mood) or pet him, preen him, pick him up etc, the only people he’ll perch for are my sister and I and it took him awhile to get used to her. If anyone else approaches him he freaks out and runs or flies away flapping like a wild bird.

He also for some reason is afraid of certain toys, I got him some chewing ropes and ladders once and he wouldn’t go near them and freaked out when I tried to put him next to them. Even after leaving them outside of the cage in the room for weeks he never got used to them or went near them for some reason. Other toys he never seemed to mind, maybe it was the size or bright colors idk.

Unfortunately this means I probably won’t be able to take him outside on a harness or leash and definitely won’t be able to flight train him ever or at least not until he’s much older and I’ve worked with him a lot. He HATES harnesses and bird leashes vehemently and won’t even stand he just flops over trying to get it off so that’s out the window. Plus if I took him outside he’d get scared by something and fly off or get lost or hurt. In conclusion, if you’re not prepared to go through all of that, don’t get a parrot, but, at the end of the day I still love him and it’s worth all the turmoil he puts me through.

The Ugly:
Idk if this qualifies as ugly but something Tico does that was kind of funny at first but has become quite annoying and kind of gross, he has an odd obsession with my feet. He’s done it to other people before but usually just me, he will perform a full courtship dance, wings lowered bowed and heart shaped and bows his head up and down dramatically pacing back and forth, drags his head on the ground, eyes pinning like crazy, he puffs up his head feathers and starts kissing and talking to my feet.

It was funny at first but when he starts doing it he is relentless and no matter how many times I move him or shoo him off he always comes back so I have to just put him in his cage. He’s even climbed on top of my feet and regurgitated food trying to feed it to me. I don’t know why my feet as opposed to any other body part, but it’s definitely odd, and I usually just put him back in his cage.

I was holding some cockatiels for a friend awhile back and he immediately tried to mate with them as well so I guess he’s just very hormonal. He’s also already got half of his ring and it’s coming in black which is odd since he’s a completely bright yellow lutino ringneck and usually their rings are usually redish pinkish so maybe he’s just an early bloomer or high in bird testosterone idk. At least I know if I ever get a female and try to breed him It’ll probably be successful lol.

Anyway, I’m glad I found this forum to share my experience with birds with others. I don’t know anybody who has parrots so that’s cool. One day I hope to have a full aviary. When I have the space and money for a larger bird, I’d love to one day own a hyacinth macaw, they’ve always been a favorite of mine. IRNs get a bad wrap sometimes bc of their skittishness and behavioral issues but these issues are a sign of their intelligence if anything and the positives outweigh the negatives. I know that was very long lol. Happy bird keeping :)

Some Pics of Tico
8528AD4C-55DB-473C-AFC5-66828908DCFF.jpeg 4C923411-8874-4477-B5B4-33011550190C.jpeg

Rose82_

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
3 weeks isn’t a very long time so don’t worry, every bird takes its own time to warm up to people so just stay calm and patient with him and be consistent with training. Find out what foods he likes best and use that to your advantage. I’m sure he’ll warm up to you in time

Rose82_

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
I love these little birds.

The good: amazing talkers with squeaky little voices. Always doing silly things for attention - very entertaining. Very easily trained and enjoy doing tricks for treats. Not overly dusty. Most love water and are small enough to comfortably take a shower with you. Hens are very affectionate for the most part and enjoy head rubs. Most seem to genuinely enjoy human company. They are good at entertaining themselves if provided with the toys and space to do so. They will invent their own games to play with foot toys and forage toys. Gentle and affectionate, but not overly clingy birds. Wonderful companions, and just beautiful. Big bird in a tiny package, and each is an individual with a distinct personality.

The bad: amazing talkers. Be very careful what you or the TV says around these guys, or your living room, like mine, will sound like the Looney Tunes meets the discovery channel complete with all the wacky sound effects and things you don’t want to hear. Like a ringneck putting a new spin on the kookaburra call. You have to supervise these fids when they’re out of their cages/aviary. Constantly. A few of the games invented by my pals include, “Wait until mom and dad leave the room to destroy the lampshade,” and “Shred the chair,” as well as the charming “Bird safe plant must equal bird food plant so let’s see how many chomp marks we can put in this sucker before mom gets back with her drink refill!” Gotta admire their intelligence, the little schemers.
Random hate of random objects accompanied by eardrum-blowing screaming fit. Every critter hates the vacuum. Ringnecks (at least mine) hate the vacuum, your dust cloth, magic erasers, brooms, dustpans, and especially the yellow fluffy Swiffer things. You would think I beat them with cleaning implements everyday from the awful screams and flailing they do when it comes time to do some housework... I learned very quickly to move them into another room when cleaning.

The ugly: The worst food thieves you could ever meet. Dogs will beg. Ringnecks will just take that tasty looking morsel, whether from your hand, plate, or mouth. Learned this the hard way after my hen divebombed the salsa bowl on taco night. Can be a plus if introducing them to new food; just munch on some and look pleased with it. Whatever you eat, they want.
Sneaky biters. This is another game that you will need to prevent, as they wait until you’re distracted and then chomp your ear, neck or nose for the sheer entertainment value. These aren’t warning bites or hormone bites. No, these are done for the lulz, or because you’re paying too much attention to the TV and they’re jealous. My hubs is a TV watcher, and Korben nails him all the time when he feels ignored. Hubs also jumps and yelps, which is just great fun!
Adolescent biting is terrible, and this grumpy phase can last weeks or months. It’s very trying, and you will get nailed over and over while you and your bird are working out boundaries and acceptable behaviors for both of you. Both parties will be frustrated during the process. Never have I ever been so grateful for a high pain threshold as I was when working with my ‘keets.
You have to handle them daily for the first several months or it will negatively impact the trust relationship you’ve been striving to build.

You will never have a boring day ever again if you open your heart and home to one of these birds. I love mine from the bottom of my heart and would not trade them for anything. They’re pint sized family.
I can definitely relate to the food stealing lol Tico will take food from me even when we both know he doesn’t like it and won’t eat it he just wants whatever I have

Rose82_

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
We have had Titan in our family for 22 years. So...

The Good: Very intellegent,good natured bird. Outgoing-almost to a fault. I believe Titan thinks we're all big birds-or that he's a little human. Has never bitten anyone,ever. Loves people.

The Bad: When Titan wants to make noise, it is a loud shrill scream. Very demanding for human interaction-almost to a Cockatoo level. Intense hormonal periods-these last about six weeks. Titan's weakness in this regard is feeding and mating with human's feet.

I do agree with Renae. IRNs do not have a good reputation as pets. I think it is a fallacy. The more you learn and understand about IRNs, the more you will see that they are a good bird...
My ringneck also tries to mate with peoples feet, I thought I was alone lol, it’s so strange I wonder why they’re interested in feet specifically.

Rose82_

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
The Good:
So I’ve had my male IRN Tico for about 2 1/2 years now, I got him when he was just 3 or 4 months old and he was my first large purchase, definitely one of my best decisions. I’ve always been really into animals and have always kept birds and got into reptiles about a year ago as well. Ringnecks had been a dream bird for me for awhile before I got him so I was so excited when he showed up at my local pet store, I went back and bought him a week after seeing him.

Anyway, you notice right off the bat how intelligent and food driven they are, which makes them easy to train and bond with. They definitely have personalities of their own and favorite foods (Tico LOVES apples peanuts dried peppers from his seed mix and especially stealing my breakfast cereal) It didn’t take long for him to start talking too, probably a little over a year after I got him he started saying his name “Tico Tico” which was soon followed by many more words and phrases which now include “Tico Baby” “Tico Good Boy” “Pretty Birdy” “You’re so Cute” “What Are you doing?” “Come Here Tico” and he can dog whistle, he does the catcall whistle, and knows the whistle part at the end of the Spongebob theme song. He also will kiss me and my other birds making an a adorable kissing sound. They learn very fast and even pick up on words you don’t intentionally try to teach them. The clarity of his speech is really something too, as it sounds almost human sometimes.

He’s very cuddly when he’s in the mood for affection and likes to be pet and get head scratches. He LOVES taking showers in the sink and if the water is warm enough he’ll literally sit under it for as long as I leave it on. When he was a baby he would even let me clip his nails without needing to hold him or wrap him in a towel he’d just give me his foot willingly (that changed as he got older) He has very beautiful feathers and the most adorable blue eyes that dilate like crazy when he’s excited or happy.

The Bad:
While Tico has been overall a joy to have in my life and I wouldn’t trade him for the world, he is by no means all roses and sunshine. If you’re looking to get any bird larger or smarter than a cockatiel you should know what you’re getting into. In many ways parrots can be like small children, they are VERY messy, can be extremely loud and annoying, go through tantrums and mood swings, and they need a whole lot of attention.

Up until about 1.5 years old Tico was the sweetest little Angel and I really had no problems with him whatsoever aside from the maintenance of cleaning up after his constant pooping and chewing things up (and yes they chew and destroy everything) The hormonal/bluffing stage for Indian ringnecks especially males, is very real.

Tico became very territorial over his food and his cage, striking at me and lowering his head puffing up feathers dilating pupils whenever I refilled his seed dishes, screaming very loudly nonstop for attention (and I mean nonstop), he has bitten me a few times but only ever drawn blood once, he stopped letting me clip his nails and needed to be held in a towel (which is pretty normal I’m surprised he ever let me clip them at all.)

Once his wings fully grew in (the pet store clipped them when I first got him) he would still fly to me at first, but as he became more hormonal and independent he realized that if he didn’t want to go back in his cage (even after several hours of free flying around the house) he could just fly away from me. Eventually it got to the point where he wouldn’t even perch for me anymore and it was like years of bonding and training had just gone out the window, everytime he was outside of his cage he would fly away as soon as I got near him bc he thought I’d put him back. I would have to chase him for a very long time before I’d catch him if I wanted or needed to put him away which was very stressful for both of us. It became a safety hazard as I couldn’t catch him to be sure he wouldn’t fly out the door if someone were coming over or my family members were going in and out of the house.

Also I couldn’t walk away from the room he was in while he was outside of his cage because he destroys everything he sees and likes to chew on wires, meanwhile the whole time he’s out, he’s pooping on the furniture the floors the counters the table, everything. I also can’t leave him in my room by himself if he’s not in his cage because I have heat lamps for my reptiles and he has chewed the wires in the past, which could both ruin expensive lamps, and electrocute him.

He pushes things off counters, takes bites out of my posters, throws decorations on the floor, I vacuum my floor every day and wash my bed sheets at least once or twice a week because he poops on them, he has destroyed several sets of blinds bc he likes to chew and climb on them, you get the gist. If he sees me eating anything he will try to take it from me (he’ll try to take it right out of my mouth if he can) if he sees me with food and he’s in his cage he will scream violently until I give him some or leave or cover his cage with a blanket. He loves to chew on pens and pencils particularly and he will very sneakily steal them from me and run or fly away so I can’t get it back. He probably thinks this is hilarious. Remember IRNs are intelligent and they will use this to mess with you.

With the exception of his mood swings Tico had always been incredibly tame and sweet but this really only applies to me. He is very skittish and deathly afraid of all other people no matter how much I try to get him used to being around other humans. While I can hold him upside down on his back flat on my palm and he’ll just lay there calmly (when he’s in a good mood) or pet him, preen him, pick him up etc, the only people he’ll perch for are my sister and I and it took him awhile to get used to her. If anyone else approaches him he freaks out and runs or flies away flapping like a wild bird.

He also for some reason is afraid of certain toys, I got him some chewing ropes and ladders once and he wouldn’t go near them and freaked out when I tried to put him next to them. Even after leaving them outside of the cage in the room for weeks he never got used to them or went near them for some reason. Other toys he never seemed to mind, maybe it was the size or bright colors idk.

Unfortunately this means I probably won’t be able to take him outside on a harness or leash and definitely won’t be able to flight train him ever or at least not until he’s much older and I’ve worked with him a lot. He HATES harnesses and bird leashes vehemently and won’t even stand he just flops over trying to get it off so that’s out the window. Plus if I took him outside he’d get scared by something and fly off or get lost or hurt. In conclusion, if you’re not prepared to go through all of that, don’t get a parrot, but, at the end of the day I still love him and it’s worth all the turmoil he puts me through.

The Ugly:
Idk if this qualifies as ugly but something Tico does that was kind of funny at first but has become quite annoying and kind of gross, he has an odd obsession with my feet. He’s done it to other people before but usually just me, he will perform a full courtship dance, wings lowered bowed and heart shaped and bows his head up and down dramatically pacing back and forth, drags his head on the ground, eyes pinning like crazy, he puffs up his head feathers and starts kissing and talking to my feet.

It was funny at first but when he starts doing it he is relentless and no matter how many times I move him or shoo him off he always comes back so I have to just put him in his cage. He’s even climbed on top of my feet and regurgitated food trying to feed it to me. I don’t know why my feet as opposed to any other body part, but it’s definitely odd, and I usually just put him back in his cage.

I was holding some cockatiels for a friend awhile back and he immediately tried to mate with them as well so I guess he’s just very hormonal. He’s also already got half of his ring and it’s coming in black which is odd since he’s a completely bright yellow lutino ringneck and usually their rings are usually redish pinkish so maybe he’s just an early bloomer or high in bird testosterone idk. At least I know if I ever get a female and try to breed him It’ll probably be successful lol.

Anyway, I’m glad I found this forum to share my experience with birds with others. I don’t know anybody who has parrots so that’s cool. One day I hope to have a full aviary. When I have the space and money for a larger bird, I’d love to one day own a hyacinth macaw, they’ve always been a favorite of mine. IRNs get a bad wrap sometimes bc of their skittishness and behavioral issues but these issues are a sign of their intelligence if anything and the positives outweigh the negatives. I know that was very long lol. Happy bird keeping :)

Some Pics of Tico
View attachment 377480 View attachment 377482
*EDIT: I just double checked when I got him and I totally overestimated the time I’ve had him lol I guess it just feels like he’s been with me forever. He was born some time in June 2019 and I got him September 2019 so he’s almost 2 yrs old and I’ve had him for a year and 7 months not 2 1/2 years. *

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My ringneck also tries to mate with peoples feet, I thought I was alone lol, it’s so strange I wonder why they’re interested in feet specifically.
Titan really did have a "thing" for humans feet...IDEFINTELY driven by hormones.

Your Rico sounds almost EXACTLY like our Titan was...and we enjoyed his company for 26 wonderful years!
When you get a chance ,please look back on this thread...you'll find my posts about him...​

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@JW23 have a read of this good place to start

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
I only want OWNERS of ringnecks to respond here please (sorry)

I want personal experiences. Good, Bad, Ugly.

I'm aware of how loud they are, but pretend I know nothing about ringnecks and start talking!

(seriously spill everything!!!)

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Directly from breeder

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Directly from breeder
Really good read that post I love how he/she can’t cope in a room full of lovebirds :rofl:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Bertica

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bertica
My interest in IRNs/Alexandrines has been re-kindled as of this afternoon. The sound that people were describing before had put me off of them. But after spending time with two of them, the noise isn't THAT bad. Yes, it's loud, and very high-pitched. I don't like it. But, it only lasted for a few minutes, and then they were quiet the rest of my visit. I was there for over 2 hours. If it was a sound that carried on incessantly, I know I couldn't handle it. But if it's only for a few minutes here and there, I don't see it being an issue.
So, I guess ringnecks and Alexandrines are back on my potentials list.. Oy.. haha
I have an Indian Ringneck everything is in how much attention you give them and also my ringneck is free all day as part of the family., for example I have also a dog (Pug) my daughter has the brother and my pug is like a little human and very well behave her pug is out of control and they always asks me why my animals are so good and my answer is always the same, if you are going to have pets they need to be involve with the family and they will be good and enjoyable