• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good, the bad, and the ugly about Indian Ringnecks.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

First, THE GOOD!

I have had Keiba for a few years now, and my experience has been nothing but joyful. Keiba has a friendly personality, and he is very intelligent, outgoing, independent, playful and loving. He enjoys bathing, he loves toys, he is great when it comes to food, he will try almost anything, he is hilarious and will make you laugh with the things he does, and he is kind of crazy and clowny in the way Green Cheeks are, he also talks a lot, maybe too much, but he is always splurting out new, unexpected words.
Indian Ringnecks have been given a bad reputation by people saying they make a horrible companion/pet, but I beg to differ, a lot.. if you do your research, you will find that they do have wonderful characteristics, and qualities of being a feathered friend. I will add too, Indian Ringnecks are not for everyone, you do need to have a strong understanding with this species, and be willing to put in everything to meet their personal needs.

Second, THE BAD!

They can develop behavior problems.. for example, two of the most often seen behaviors are biting, and excessive screaming. When they scream it is incredibly loud, and I mean ear splitting loud. And their bites can be quite nasty too, they can, and will draw blood.

Indian Ringnecks also go through a bluffing stage (they can be aggressive during this time), in which all birds do, where they will really test, and push you as far as they can.
If during the bluffing stage, any aggression/biting is not dealt with properly, they will continue to be biters, so it is important that you don’t reward this behavior, rather work through it with the bird.

Third, THE UGLY!

I can’t think of anything for ugly, I think what I have said above in bad, could also be put here, but ugly would be mainly just their screaming if anything.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Thank you. Never knew much about ringnecks except some of them are exceptionally pretty.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We have had Titan in our family for 22 years. So...

The Good: Very intellegent,good natured bird. Outgoing-almost to a fault. I believe Titan thinks we're all big birds-or that he's a little human. Has never bitten anyone,ever. Loves people.

The Bad: When Titan wants to make noise, it is a loud shrill scream. Very demanding for human interaction-almost to a Cockatoo level. Intense hormonal periods-these last about six weeks. Titan's weakness in this regard is feeding and mating with human's feet.

I do agree with Renae. IRNs do not have a good reputation as pets. I think it is a fallacy. The more you learn and understand about IRNs, the more you will see that they are a good bird...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
loved these posts..

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I also forgot to add, they can bond to one person, however, with plenty of socialization this can lessen the chance.. sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does, it can depend entirely on the bird, too.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Also,being so intellegent, they can manipulate a situation, if they want,or don't want something. Bedtime for Titan can be difficult at times.If he doesn't want to go to bed, he'll get everyone into a "chase the bird around the furniture" game. Since he likes to run around rather than fly, it gets comical watching people crawl around on all fours,as Titan is running under the furniture...:)

Brooke

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brooke
Sheldon was an amazing bird. He loved to cuddle, something that they're not known for. He loved showers and was just the sweetest little birdy. I could go on about the positives, because there were so many. The only con I have to Indian Ringnecks, is their call. It's a very high-pitched scream that I think can be worse than a Sun Conure's, it can really take a toll on your ears. So anyone thinking of adopting a IRN should really meet one in person and listen to their call for yourself to see if you can live with it.

Somedays were easier than others, sometimes I had to walk out of the room to get my sanity back :lol:

I really do miss Sheldon though, if anyone can open their home to one and be able to live with their noises, they are a really good companion.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Merlin is a good natured bird. Not at all bitey, Ive never seen the bluffing, hes cuddly and almost too affectionate at times...dancing and regurging on me or anything that belongs to me. He can scream at times and his contact call can get a little annoying, but all in all, he is not a typical ringneck. I did alot of reading up on them when I first rescued him and thought "oh boy, Ive got a monster here" but he is absolutley not a monster. He is a smarty pants though...when I say "Merlin" he says "what?' Then I say "are you mamas bird?" He shakes his head "Yep" what a goof, hes on me right now as I type this...

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
My interest in IRNs/Alexandrines has been re-kindled as of this afternoon. The sound that people were describing before had put me off of them. But after spending time with two of them, the noise isn't THAT bad. Yes, it's loud, and very high-pitched. I don't like it. But, it only lasted for a few minutes, and then they were quiet the rest of my visit. I was there for over 2 hours. If it was a sound that carried on incessantly, I know I couldn't handle it. But if it's only for a few minutes here and there, I don't see it being an issue.
So, I guess ringnecks and Alexandrines are back on my potentials list.. Oy.. haha

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I am very interested in IRNs and Alexandrines, too. Basically the "bad" could apply to any parrot if allowed to do as they please. Maybe someday...:swoon:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am very interested in IRNs and Alexandrines, too. Basically the "bad" could apply to any parrot if allowed to do as they please. Maybe someday...:swoon:
Can't go wrong with IRNs! :)

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I've had Beaker just over a year now and he's been such an awesome parrot that I am looking at adding a 2nd one. I think they are just amazing and intelligent little birds, though I sometimes think Beaker is not a normal IRN as I would not consider him loud by any means. Yes, he can go through a few minutes of a high-pitched call a time or two through the day, but they are very short lived calls and are no where near the ear-slitting level of a sun conure. A sun conure call is an instant migraine trigger for me, but Beaker has never come close to producing that type of response. He does choose to do his R2D2 noises a lot through the day, but overall the amount of sound he produces is less than my quaker.

He is very curious and playful. Loves to explore and will climb off his stand in my bedroom and go over to the baseboard to "talk" to his shadow he sees there. :hehe: I don't think there has been a toy he hasn't liked yet.

After dealing with my quaker who is a very picky eater - it was so refreshing having Beaker around who will at least try everything I give him. If he doesn't like it - it ends up on the ground in a hurry, but he at least tried it. And I find he likes way more than he dislikes. I've heard not being picky eaters is a trait or IRNs.

The Bad
He can be hand-skittish. I don't think he was handled much in his previous home and so we have been working on this. He also came to me clipped and would ride on my shoulder all the time, but now that he has his wings he will only stay on my arm for a very short while before flying off. I will be very curious to see the difference when I get a weaned baby and see if having one from the young age vs. mature makes a difference.

Caz Omega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caroline
IRN's are what got me started being a bird momma. My first IRN Andy was an absolute character, was very intelligent and loved to be scratched. Sadly I was away for 2 weeks and the person taking care of him for me left his cage and the front door open and he flew away, I only found out when I got back home. I have another IRN now named Pie, she is totally different personality wise, but also very clever. She used to be very attached to me, but gets very jealous of my other fids and now shows my daughter a lot more affection and only comes to me when my daughter isn't around. She seldom squawks or shrieks, but will chat for quite some time when she is going to sleep (head tucked under her wing). She knows a lot of words and seems to know what phrases to associate with what and now adds names into her chat sometimes. Love these birds. :)

ladydi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Diane Colette
Hi so I have Gilmour a little green cheeky IRN. DNA sexed Male approximately 1.5 yr old.

First, I had no idea about birds nor IRN basically trial by fire and not sure I recommend this approach esp as newbie parront...he was gift from hubby.

So we have had a long rough road till about few months ago when he has come around and stopped biting me at any chance lol...boy it hurts till bleeding.

I persisted and kept with interactions daily no matter his bites, I ignored the bites, only calmy saying No bite...not sure if what I did worked or he gave into my being his or hormones settled lol...but now he is cutest lil devil, he gently let me know if he doesn't like something or touch etc by nudging his beak at my finger or lightly squeeze finger.
He is a joy and treat funny so smart silly curious unique parrot....

As the biting ceased, he in turn began to pull feathers and nibbled at toes.. It was bad and these days I have just tried different things, larger cage, more chew toys, perches, foraging etc and I notice less... Hoping it reduces to none or at least to regrow feathers....

So that being said, parronting for my first go around has been hard, but rewarding not sure how other species are or IRNS specifically....
În few years, if Gilmour settles perhaps we will see about adding, for now I have a fun kiddo to amuse and push me :-D
I have never known so much devotion or pride to win a little creature's affection than Gilmour....

I think they are the loveliest birds with sweet voices, although he doesn't speak yet he has his own little language and maybe one day he'll call me by name rather than squeaks & squawks <3 avatar_1408474415592.jpg

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I have one. Only bad stuff so far.
Hard to keep tame and hard to re tame.

Sunshine77

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
i have 2 pineapple conures they are so sweet. I am getting a irn next week and from some of the comments I am a little nervous!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
i have 2 pineapple conures they are so sweet. I am getting a irn next week and from some of the comments I am a little nervous!
Getting a new addition to the flock should make anyone excited,and perhaps a little nervous- it doesn't matter what the species is. Every bird is an individual- I have related quite a bit about our IRN, Titan, on this very thread.
All I can say is enjoy your new IRN- they are smart and full of life... :)

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
These posts helped me a lot when thinking of owning and IRN. I didn't want to post here until I sorta got to know my Kiwi a bit better. I have now had her for almost a month, and I just want to say she was one of the best decisions I think that I have ever made!

The good:
1. She is very independent. Although for some people this could go either way as good or bad I like it. Due to school I do not get as much time at home as I would like. That's not to say I don't give her enough attention just that I have the capability to leave her in her cage with her toys and have her completely content, with no screaming or other bad behavior when left alone. Although the second I get home she is a little cling on. She loves to sit with me while I read or play on the computer.
2. She is super sweet to all. Although she hates bare skin, she loves to be around people. Whether entertaining them with her funny antics or sitting on top of their heads, playing with their hair. She loves to be watched and just loved. She loves to clown around and hang upside down on her boing.
3. She is not very messy. Although I am sure this doesn't go for all ringnecks she is the least messy of my birds. She is not dusty and doesn't throw seeds very badly. She is better compared to even my cockatiels when it comes to cleanliness.
4. She is super easy to train. Now again this may not be true for all ringnecks but she seems to adapt to training much quicker than other birds. My two cockatiels have never taken treats from me and hardly step up, but Kiwi will willingly step up onto a covered arm. (Doesn't like bare skin.)
Now I could go on all day about Kiwi's little perks and cute antics but that would take forever. So I just wrote some of the important ones.

The bad:
1. Now like I said independence could go here as well, depending on the person and the type of bird that they want.
2. The screaming. Now I have mostly trained Kiwi not to scream for attention (which is the only time she really does it) but when I first got her she would scream and carry on for hours until she realized I wasn't coming back until she stopped. It was earsplitting and seemed to echo throughout your head all day. Luckily she stopped this bad habit which is why it isn't in ugly. Now she just makes these cute little squeaky sounds when she's playing. If you have sensitive hearing I would listen to an IRN for a while before you decide to buy one.

The ugly:
1. Like I said the screaming could go here too if you don't properly train your bird not to do this but if not it could become a problem especially with close neighbors/apartment life.
2. The only other thing I can think of to go here would be the biting. Now Kiwi was never really hand tamed even though the people I got her from told me she was. She hates bare skin. She will step right up onto a sweatshirt but if you have bare skin she just goes into attack mode. Now she is no longer truly afraid of hands. She mostly just does it for fun. Indian Ringnecks can latch on and just hold on. It is very hard to get them to let go. She is super sweet when she wants to be but hates skin.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
These posts helped me a lot when thinking of owning and IRN. I didn't want to post here until I sorta got to know my Kiwi a bit better. I have now had her for almost a month, and I just want to say she was one of the best decisions I think that I have ever made!

The good:
1. She is very independent. Although for some people this could go either way as good or bad I like it. Due to school I do not get as much time at home as I would like. That's not to say I don't give her enough attention just that I have the capability to leave her in her cage with her toys and have her completely content, with no screaming or other bad behavior when left alone. Although the second I get home she is a little cling on. She loves to sit with me while I read or play on the computer.
2. She is super sweet to all. Although she hates bare skin, she loves to be around people. Whether entertaining them with her funny antics or sitting on top of their heads, playing with their hair. She loves to be watched and just loved. She loves to clown around and hang upside down on her boing.
3. She is not very messy. Although I am sure this doesn't go for all ringnecks she is the least messy of my birds. She is not dusty and doesn't throw seeds very badly. She is better compared to even my cockatiels when it comes to cleanliness.
4. She is super easy to train. Now again this may not be true for all ringnecks but she seems to adapt to training much quicker than other birds. My two cockatiels have never taken treats from me and hardly step up, but Kiwi will willingly step up onto a covered arm. (Doesn't like bare skin.)
Now I could go on all day about Kiwi's little perks and cute antics but that would take forever. So I just wrote some of the important ones.

The bad:
1. Now like I said independence could go here as well, depending on the person and the type of bird that they want.
2. The screaming. Now I have mostly trained Kiwi not to scream for attention (which is the only time she really does it) but when I first got her she would scream and carry on for hours until she realized I wasn't coming back until she stopped. It was earsplitting and seemed to echo throughout your head all day. Luckily she stopped this bad habit which is why it isn't in ugly. Now she just makes these cute little squeaky sounds when she's playing. If you have sensitive hearing I would listen to an IRN for a while before you decide to buy one.

The ugly:
1. Like I said the screaming could go here too if you don't properly train your bird not to do this but if not it could become a problem especially with close neighbors/apartment life.
2. The only other thing I can think of to go here would be the biting. Now Kiwi was never really hand tamed even though the people I got her from told me she was. She hates bare skin. She will step right up onto a sweatshirt but if you have bare skin she just goes into attack mode. Now she is no longer truly afraid of hands. She mostly just does it for fun. Indian Ringnecks can latch on and just hold on. It is very hard to get them to let go. She is super sweet when she wants to be but hates skin.
It's interesting what you say about Kiwi's dislike of bare skin. Titan has the same dislike of bare skin. He doesn't go as far as to bite at it,though. He will slide off an arm, or take off and fly away. I believe it's because to him it's not a solid, comfortable thing to do- he slides off skin, rather than stay on it.