• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I cannot believe it has been 2.5 years since Jesse came into our lives. Faith and Hope will be a year old the beginning of Feb. And Beau has been with us since just before Christmas.

The good: The love they give us, and we give them. It is such a pleasure to have them to take care of. They have given me a purpose since becoming disabled. Their "songs" are wonderful. They are cuddly, and kissy.

The bad: We still cannot have Beau out with the others yet.

The ugly: They keep people from visiting me. You know those people who don't like birds. Wait, that is another good!!!! 20200110_104326.jpg 20200111_111215.jpg

PierreRenoir

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mallory
Pierre.JPG
I've had Pierre for about a year and a half now. Picture above is from when he was just a couple months old.

The good: Sweet and affectionate. He loves to cuddle. Playful and funny. He can talk a little. He’s intelligent. He’s a beautiful bird and not too small, not too big. He doesn’t give off dust like some birds.

The bad: Can be noisy. He bites often and doesn’t need a reason. He’s mischievous and gets into everything. Can be quite clingy, a true Velcro bird.

The ugly: I know Green Cheeks are not known for being one-person birds or for preferring a certain gender, but I feel that mine has grown so attached to me that he is quite protective over me and gets especially nippy to my boyfriend and other men. And when he wants to, he bites HARD, latches on and twists!!!

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
I cannot believe it has been 2.5 years since Jesse came into our lives. Faith and Hope will be a year old the beginning of Feb. And Beau has been with us since just before Christmas.

The good: The love they give us, and we give them. It is such a pleasure to have them to take care of. They have given me a purpose since becoming disabled. Their "songs" are wonderful. They are cuddly, and kissy.

The bad: We still cannot have Beau out with the others yet.

The ugly: They keep people from visiting me. You know those people who don't like birds. Wait, that is another good!!!! View attachment 325400 View attachment 325401
All of your friends should be bird lovers! LOL The ones who don't should be watched carefully if they decide to visit.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
All of your friends should be bird lovers! LOL The ones who don't should be watched carefully if they decide to visit.
I am so blessed that no one visits! I am a solitary type person. My dog and my birds keep me company. Oh, the hubby too when he is home and awake, which is not often enough.

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
View attachment 328146
I've had Pierre for about a year and a half now. Picture above is from when he was just a couple months old.

The good: Sweet and affectionate. He loves to cuddle. Playful and funny. He can talk a little. He’s intelligent. He’s a beautiful bird and not too small, not too big. He doesn’t give off dust like some birds.

The bad: Can be noisy. He bites often and doesn’t need a reason. He’s mischievous and gets into everything. Can be quite clingy, a true Velcro bird.

The ugly: I know Green Cheeks are not known for being one-person birds or for preferring a certain gender, but I feel that mine has grown so attached to me that he is quite protective over me and gets especially nippy to my boyfriend and other men. And when he wants to, he bites HARD, latches on and twists!!!
Hello, I have a fair amount of experience with parrots, mine and other peoples' and it is my opinion that birds can "smell" your hormones. All my female birds have preferred the men, and the males have had a distinct preference for women. There are ways to prevent territorial behavior which is to make sure they get to meet and greet as many other people as possible while they are young. That being said, birds, like all species of animals have strong mating urges that really cannot be suppressed, diverted perhaps?

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
View attachment 328146

Just received a 6 month old yesterday and think I have pierre's relative lol. I'll have to see if my little one will have some of the bad soon.

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
Hello,
In my long experience with many birds (I am a Boomer), I have come to the conclusion that somehow birds that are brought into our homes are capable of "smelling out gender, hormones, etc.) and they almost always get attached as they would to a real mate to one person and will protect that person from what they perceive as a threat!
The only possible way to alleviate this is to introduce the birds to as many people as possible when they are young and keep trying to socialize them.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
Hello Everybody! I've owned Marley who is a pineapple for one month now and its been an interesting journey. THE GOOD- He is a snuggle bunny and acts like a goof, just the sweetest. THE BAD- He knows he is cute and will pout until he gets his way THE UGLY - not the first to mention nor do I think I'm letting you folks in on a secret but the amount of time Green Cheeks go to the bathroom and the probability it will land on you(sometimes unnoticed until you see your arm lol). I'm training him to go on a table after he eats THE UGLY- These guys are very intelligent and driven. Marley keeps going for a small skin tag on my neck. I can move him multiple times far from me and he will come back to chew on it...I've pretty much stopped this. These little ones are like the terminator though lol. They are not done until they feel the job is complete even with other toys around. With all the good and bad I would never trade Marley. EDIT: Here is a photo of Marley...will get more soon. He is becoming okay with being photographed.

Attachments

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
Hello Everybody! I've owned Marley who is a pineapple for one month now and its been an interesting journey. THE GOOD- He is a snuggle bunny and acts like a goof, just the sweetest. THE BAD- He knows he is cute and will pout until he gets his way THE UGLY - not the first to mention nor do I think I'm letting you folks in on a secret but the amount of time Green Cheeks go to the bathroom and the probability it will land on you(sometimes unnoticed until you see your arm lol). I'm training him to go on a table after he eats THE UGLY- These guys are very intelligent and driven. Marley keeps going for a small skin tag on my neck. I can move him multiple times far from me and he will come back to chew on it...I've pretty much stopped this. These little ones are like the terminator though lol. They are not done until they feel the job is complete even with other toys around. With all the good and bad I would never trade Marley. EDIT: Here is a photo of Marley...will get more soon. He is becoming okay with being photographed.
The good news is that these little birds can be potty trained, as long as they have a "basket" to land on and poop into that is nearby. Just watch for the little wiggle and whip him over to the basket and then praise to the hilt when he goes...soon he will monitor himself and never poop on you. And my Sweetie Py loved to groom my skin, my eyebrows, and lashes, and toenails. She was a wonder at getting those painful little hangnails off and of course, she would work on any skin tag I had.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the photo. Let me know how potty training goes. I find great brand new baskets at the Sally Ann and line them with newspaper I cut to fit.
Will do lol. I think he'll do fine. He doesn't poop on me often. He's been doing it after food/playtime on the table i have a jungle gym on. its been easy clean up but want to properly train him.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
I know I already posted about Marley but have a new good,bad, and ugly...sorry I'm back again lol but the quarantine has left me and Marley a bit goofy. The good we seem to like the same music. Marley was jammin' to 80's new wave then some new electronic hybrid stuff like Daft Punk and Justice as I washed dishes(he was on a new window perch dancing lol). He even got a light spray bottle bath...he loves water and has showered with me. The bad is he loves trying to chew my new headphone wire....I move him and of course he finds his way back but stealthy-like, like a ninja. Now for the Ugly, as I mentioned he likes music and realized his favorite right now is Haddaway's What is Love. That song got the biggest reaction and although I love Marley, I cannot get behind his taste. Justice's D.A.N.C.E is a close second fav. Tomorrow is his first vet visit and DNA test...hoping for a girl but we're so attached I don't mind either way just curious. I bought insurance as well today through nationwide and was surprised how cheap it was. I've been talking to Marley alot and have so many nicknames(he answers some lol) so far I have Quacker Oats, Quaker Box, and my favorite....Snap,Quacker, and Pop. He sometimes quacks and it makes me laugh. @Mockinbirdiva @finchly @Emeraldxo @Vmax
....And now for some Cuteness

Attachments

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the delightful diversion and my Sweetie Py aka Mookie, was a darling girl so I hope Marley is too. If you find out it is a girl please get in touch with me regarding any egg-laying activity as there are some real risks there but none that cannot be managed. Please let me (us) know the outcome of the DNA test.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the delightful diversion and my Sweetie Py aka Mookie, was a darling girl so I hope Marley is too. If you find out it is a girl please get in touch with me regarding any egg-laying activity as there are some real risks there but none that cannot be managed. Please let me (us) know the outcome of the DNA test.
Thank you and I will inform you and others if I see Marley engaging in that behavior if the gender test comes back as female. I'll definitely do a reveal when the results come back in 5-7 days. The vet fell in love with Marley and the visit went so well. I had a stool sample taken to test for parasites, dna test, general check-up, and nail trim done. Marley was just under weight which was a surprise because Marley is a little piggy but is very active with flying despite his primary flight feathers being trimmed...I'm going to let them grow out. I love that he follows me room to room flying and the suction cup perch I purchased on Chewy is worth its weight in gold for taking showers and placing it around the house as I do chores.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
The ugly: They keep people from visiting me. You know those people who don't like birds. Wait, that is another good!!!!
I don't know how I missed your post but this is such a great line and so true. So many animals are a better judge of character than people lol. I got Marley shortly after my jack russell passed of cancer of the spleen at age 15. she had been through quite a bit since she was a pup. At under a year old her left leg had to be operated on...I was I could remember the proper term but the ball of the femur was rotting and had to be cut and fused to her hip. I think a fair amount of people would have surrendered her due to the medical cost but she rewarded my family with being so loving and loyal...so smart, she always found ways to communicate what she wanted. Her name was Gogo and she was still so active(near 2 hour daily walks until age 10 and was still running around until the diagnosis at 14). I have cerebral palsy on my left side and didn't think I'd find another buddy like that until Marley. So mischievous but understands when I have bad days due to pain. I hope your little ones stay happy,healthy, and keeps certain people away. Thanks for the laugh and photo of dinner time! I haven't got full songs yet but some quacks/noises(Marley is young but recognizes his name and some phrases) and questionable taste in music since I have youtube playlists on throughout the day.

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
Hi Beatlesfan,
I think you will find out like I did that a basket (poopie station) placed conveniently in every room is a big help and the basket can be used as a resting/preening station as well. My Py had some very pretty baskets and one that I kept on top of a room divider bookcase was one of her favorite preening places. She also had rope swings by windows so she could watch the outside birds at my bird feeders. Her favorite sleeping place was under a piece of fleece draped over a room movable mirror that was next to my nightstand. She chose that for herself. She had a stainless steel Animal Environments Acacia cage but she only used the play top.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
@westvan gal I will go to a craft shop for some baskets. Right now Marley is pooping away from food/water bowels while eating and I've started bringing him to the cage on my index finger and encouraging him to go and its been pretty successful. I think its funny he'll try to not go on me at this point. I was cuddling on the couch and Marley got off my chest and went on an old t-shirt I folded up near my waist lol. I bought a similar wrought iron cage with ladders and a perch and get the same use out of it as Py. The vet said I should separate a little more as Marley as he gets older and hormones start but was telling them he has free reign of the house. I only hold with any concern/force(not the right words) when Marley is somewhere he isn't suppose to go. He spends half or more of the day playing/sleeping near my neck and even lays on his side/back to groom if I'm leaning back slighty lol. Love the suckling/grinding noises for contentment and the odd quackish noises too. Marley likes going under a throw I have or unzipped hoodies I wear. Letting his feathers grow back out since he arrived trimmed. I'm so attached but let him do what he wants...its so funny and cute he decides to spend so much time with me. He has 2 perches around the house, the cage play top, and a pennplax jungle gym. Plus, I only restrict two small areas of the house to keep him safe and so I can watch him yet he stays with me lol. The vet was happy with the food/care i'm giving and think one of the girls wanted to sneak him out the back. Appreciate your advice westvan gal!

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
@westvan gal I will go to a craft shop for some baskets. Right now Marley is pooping away from food/water bowels while eating and I've started bringing him to the cage on my index finger and encouraging him to go and its been pretty successful. I think its funny he'll try to not go on me at this point. I was cuddling on the couch and Marley got off my chest and went on an old t-shirt I folded up near my waist lol. I bought a similar wrought iron cage with ladders and a perch and get the same use out of it as Py. The vet said I should separate a little more as Marley as he gets older and hormones start but was telling them he has free reign of the house. I only hold with any concern/force(not the right words) when Marley is somewhere he isn't suppose to go. He spends half or more of the day playing/sleeping near my neck and even lays on his side/back to groom if I'm leaning back slighty lol. Love the suckling/grinding noises for contentment and the odd quackish noises too. Marley likes going under a throw I have or unzipped hoodies I wear. Letting his feathers grow back out since he arrived trimmed. I'm so attached but let him do what he wants...its so funny and cute he decides to spend so much time with me. He has 2 perches around the house, the cage play top, and a pennplax jungle gym. Plus, I only restrict two small areas of the house to keep him safe and so I can watch him yet he stays with me lol. The vet was happy with the food/care i'm giving and think one of the girls wanted to sneak him out the back. Appreciate your advice westvan gal!
Hey, you and I are pretty much on the same wavelength! LOL From experience I have to tell you that Py was snuggled onto a pillow on my sofa and I did sit on her to my absolute horror, but the pillow was soft and I only weigh 100 pounds so she was NOT hurt but I was mortified so after that I always, always checked before sitting down. These little birds are curious and courageous so... be wary always.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
@westvan gal Marley has done the same cuddling in bed when I wake up...I'm terrified to fall asleep because he gets tucked into my neck then steals some blanket. I'm around 185lbs and know me napping would end tragically. He sleeps in a travel case near my bed that I bought on Chewy and they misrepresented the size...no biggie but it could carry a full grown macaw easily. I did find a really neat case on ebay by a company called colorday. The only problem was they put film on the plastic to protect against scratching and they stitched over it...such a pain to peel off. I agree about the sitting since Marley freely roams the house and nervous he'll fall behind me and I'll squish him as I sit in chairs. Marley is a good mix of active and cuddly...I think he was slightly underweight because despite the feather trim my little can fly albeit with far more effort. The cuddles is great because of hip and back issues I have. The slower pace makes me a happy young boomer(in my 30's but slowing down lol).