• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good, the bad and the ugly about Bourke Parakeets as pets!

Nordicpink

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for posting. I just got me a pink Bourke yesterday. This will be my first time with that species. I’m just trying to absorb as much as I can about her kind. They are so adorable.

Kgrace10

Real Name
Kris
Hi! New to the forum!!! Looking to get Bourkes as I love those colors. They seem like easy birds. I have read they aren’t that big into toys. How do they stay busy? Kinda wondering if they just sit there all day? What stimulation do they need?

Mrs. Bird Lady

Moving in
Real Name
Diana Eggleston
I have a male bourke has well but although he been hand fed he is not very tameable. Only had him a month now but he seems to be more interest in being with the parakeets. Does anybody
think that would be a good idea to him with the parakeets for the time being? I'm planning to get another bourke which would be a rosy or a rainbow which ever comes first so he won't be
pacing the side of the cage. I do see more good in them but night fright I having seen yet but I have a white cockatiel notorious for yet. I keep a night on and that don't always work.

PikaTiel

Real Name
Chantelle
Im wanting to get one of these for a companion for my cockatiel, exactly how quiet are they? Because my dad said i can get one only if its quiet because he says my cockatiel and my sisters conure are loud enough and doesnt want another screaming bird lol im going to be getting a 2 week old and hand rearing it myself with help from my sister who hand reared her conure a few years back.

Sharon M

Real Name
Sharon
Everyone says they are foragers. Mine are in a huge cage and they stay on the bottom until they roost for the night, my question is what should I put down in their cage to keep them happy what is the best food for them to eat. One of mine is sweet as heck the other growls at me. I put in greens fruit eggs their seeds. Millet I had never seen them before and my daughter got them for me because they were so beautiful. I have parakeets-2 canaries- a cockatiel- a Timneh and about 10 parakeets and one pair which gave me about seven babies and the two Roseies. I just want the best for my Rosey babies as I’m new to this breed