• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Gabriel Foundation - Adopting a parrot?

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
So as many of y'all know i'm starting work on bringing home a bird in January. TGF is the only parrot rescue near us that we can find since Metro Denver Parrot Rescue shut down a few years back. Every other 'rescue' in our state is just a bird store pawning off adult birds that they were given at the same price and with the same method as the babies they also sell- TGF seems to be the only one that really works with the adopters and seems to want to help them find a good match.

Do any of y'all have experience adopting from them? Are there any expectations I should or shouldn't go in with? How early should I start visiting? We've been there once two years ago.

Are the only birds they have ones listed on Petfinder? 90% of the parrots on there are either large macaws/cockatoos or bonded pairs, and my household isn't too keen on the idea of two birds. There are a few options but it seems like our search would be tricky unless we wanted a large parrot or two birds. Has this been your experience do they just not post all their adoptable birds on Petfinder? The main species I'm looking at are tiels and pyrrhura conures, though again honestly i'd rather just work with the rescue to find an individual that works best with us and do species-specific research during the adoption process.

My parents have offered to pay for the bird itself but don't seem to want to go beyond $300 so I think I'll just ask them if they want to cover the application fee/cage (since I don't believe TGF includes cages or any supplies in the adoption process) instead and I'll cover the costs of the bird and the rest of the supplies. I'd hate for money to be a limiting factor.

Actually their adoption and application fees seem really cheap based on all the services they provide, especially since you can put the fee towards a different bird if the one you adopted doesn't fit with your household. I was iffy on them at first but honestly the more I look into them the more I like this organization. The only thing I'm worried about are if they have enough small parrots for us to really find one that works with our home. I'd also love to hear your experiences with this organization so that I can get some first-person advice on what the process is like.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not sure about there where you are Trinity but I know here where I live no person under a certain age is permitted to enter into a contract for adoption of animals or many other types of contracts. Might be an idea to check the rescues legalities regarding ages and such. I know some of the rescues I have heard about also won't adopt to people renting their home, some of them have quite strict rules.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Not sure about there where you are Trinity but I know here where I live no person under a certain age is permitted to enter into a contract for adoption of animals or many other types of contracts. Might be an idea to check the rescues legalities regarding ages and such. I know some of the rescues I have heard about also won't adopt to people renting their home, some of them have quite strict rules.
Yep, I am neither legally financially independent or living alone yet. We are applying as a family even though I'll be the primary caretaker.
I'm graduating soon but I'll be living at home for several years because my chosen colleges are entirely online so I'll have plenty of time to finish my education and sort out my finances before moving out for the first time

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have volunteered at TGF and have also adopted my Jenday from them a couple years ago.
I had to do all the online assignments but they already knew me from volunteering and visiting before that so I didn't have any problems.
They can work really well with you not knowing what species of bird you want but knowing a bit about size, temperament etc.
They really really know each individual bird very well and are great guides.
They have over 300 birds there, although some are sanctuary amd not up for adoption. They do not list them all on Petfinder.
They have cages that have been donated for sale there, there's a big sale in the summer but they probably have some left.
They do get busy and not many people there for all the work that needs done so sometimes it takes a few days to answer phone/email.
Keep trying.
You MUST make an appointment before visiting.
Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I've heard nothing but good things about The Gabriel Foundation, but have not personally dealt with them.

I'm actually in awe of their ability to provide care for over 800 birds.

just a bird store pawning off adult birds that they were given
That description is exactly how I met my Jericho. :)

If TGF doesn't work out for some reason, you may find what you're looking for in such a store, but you're right, the onus will be on you to make it a good match because store adoption is typically less structured and formal than a place like TGF.

I'd hate for money to be a limiting factor.
In general, I'm glad that money is a limiting factor, and wish it were more so. Do you and your parents understand that your $300 bird can easily cost 10x that over the next few years to satisfy its requirements for ongoing healthy diet, enrichment, regular vet care and emergencies? If you consider the long life expectancy of parrots, you'll start to understand that the initial cost should be the least of your concerns as it represents a small fraction of the ongoing expense.

I'm being blunt because I want you to be prepared and successful. Spend any appreciable time on an avian emergency forum, and you'll see far too many heartbreaking posts from people saying, "help, I spent all my money on the bird so I can't afford to take them to a vet", or, "I don't know what to do, my parents won't let me take them to a vet". Do what you need to in order to not be one of those.

I'd also encourage you to consider how a bird will fit into the milestones you may have ahead of you (college, starting a career, moving out on your own, etc).

Navigating life's major milestones with an avian companion is doable, but certainly more complicated.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
I've heard nothing but good things about The Gabriel Foundation, but have not personally dealt with them.

I'm actually in awe of their ability to provide care for over 800 birds.

That description is exactly how I met my Jericho. :)

If TGF doesn't work out for some reason, you may find what you're looking for in such a store, but you're right, the onus will be on you to make it a good match because store adoption is typically less structured and formal than a place like TGF.

In general, I'm glad that money is a limiting factor, and wish it were more so. Do you and your parents understand that your $300 bird can easily cost 10x that over the next few years to satisfy its requirements for ongoing healthy diet, enrichment, regular vet care and emergencies? If you consider the long life expectancy of parrots, you'll start to understand that the initial cost should be the least of your concerns as it represents a small fraction of the ongoing expense.

I'm being blunt because I want you to be prepared and successful. Spend any appreciable time on an avian emergency forum, and you'll see far too many heartbreaking posts from people saying, "help, I spent all my money on the bird so I can't afford to take them to a vet", or, "I don't know what to do, my parents won't let me take them to a vet". Do what you need to in order to not be one of those.

I'd also encourage you to consider how a bird will fit into the milestones you may have ahead of you (college, starting a career, moving out on your own, etc).

Navigating life's major milestones with an avian companion is doable, but certainly more complicated.
Thank you for the advice! Most of this is already sorted out and planned for though, i created this thread with the purpose of learning more about adoption specifically rather than getting a parrot in general. My parents are more just wanting to pitch in as a "Christmas present" and they and I both know there is no expectation for them to otherwise help out financially.

I mentioned I'm not legally financially independent. I do have a steady job that earns a good salary and a drivers' license so really all I'm relying on my parents for in terms of keeping this bird is legal ownership and living quarters. I have several thousand dollars stashed away in a general emergency fund even though i don't yet have a pet-specific emergency fund. I've done my research into parrots and just how expensive they can be for years and have no concerns about being able to cover general care, unexpected expenses or getting to a vet even if my parents don't want to.

You do bring up a good point with job changes and moving out though, and while I'm aware that these things will be trickier with a parrot, i have no idea how they may change.

Thank you for your input @MommyBird! They updated their site recently and I've just found that I can't seem to find the link to make an appointment anywhere on it. My family and i toured two years ago and didn't have any problems finding links then but they seem to have vanished :bored:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
You asked how early should you start visiting....
First you will need to take the online courses which are quizzes and essay questions. It took me several weeks to finish them. You should start that NOW if you want to adopt early next year.
I don't think you will be done with everything to adopt in January.
I can't imagine doing any less than 3 visits, but maybe covid has changed that.