• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Finch Farm

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I get agitated easily now so sorry if that quote offended you, @Hankmacaw . Also @BeanieofJustice ,you have a new profile pic!
I understand. I certainly wasn’t trying to say that you weren’t a good owner. You gave them a much better life than they would have had otherwise.

And yup, ha, Tibs was hamming it up so I couldn’t resist.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

@umbrella - Didn't offend me. I have a hide like a Rino and don't get offended easily. I see so many people who are parrot smart say, yet don't know about this real danger to the New World birds and I just want them to know about it before they put a parrot at risk.

To answer one of your questions. By the time you see symptoms, it will generally be too late to help them much. The powder down accumulates slowly over time and slowly deprives them of oxygen. A bird that breathes heavily with little exercise, a bird that is lethargic or if you notice a wheeze are candidates for Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome and should be examined. There are treatments that can make them more comfortable and extend their life to an extent, but it will at the least shorten their life significantly.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I was considering a African ringneck that I found on the Finch Farm site. But they somehow make me uneasy. Not sure I want to deal with a big company as opposed to a small breeder.
All I can say is that likely the birds are wild caught imports...

I have, based on the information I have gathered, a wild caught ARN. She was imported May of 2013. Although I haven't confirmed who she came from, would not be surprised if The Finch Farm brought her in.

Emeraldxo

Sitting on the front steps
I had a negative experience with The Finch Farm. Their buying process is a nightmare. I purchased the bird through Paypal. I put a complaint with Paypal. I only received my bird when because they asked me to drop my complaint. When I finally received my bird, she didn’t look so well. I brought her to the vet a couple weeks later and she had a severe heart murmur. She was an 11 month Old Indian Ringneck. When I let them know, they said there was nothing they could do because I didn’t purchase the 60 day warranty. So now I have a new baby bird that will probably not live more than a few years and of the unforeseen medical expenses. They do not care. They are all about the greed. That is my experience with them. If you buy a bird from them, buyer beware!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Was this with the previous owners or the new owners, @Emeraldxo

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
I originally considered the finch farm when searching for my bird, but decided otherwise because of the reviews I found and just general lack of info.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I heard that they ship their birds through the post office

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I heard that they ship their birds through the post office
It's not uncommon to send finches in this manner, is my understanding.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It's not uncommon to send finches in this manner, is my understanding.
That is correct but if they changed hands and people are going on the old information that’s a bit unfair I think.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I just looked @ their ad, I may be mistaken, but I think they are shipping all their birds through the post office

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is correct but if they changed hands and people are going on the old information that’s a bit unfair I think.
I'm not disputing that :) Just to not judge based on that fact alone as it seems to be common in the industry

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I just looked @ their ad, I may be mistaken, but I think they are shipping all their birds through the post office
Why do you insist on pushing this? They clearly show that you can ship thru the PO OR commercial airlines. It isn’t legal to ship bigger birds thru PO (although I think you can thru Fedex). Shipping finches and canaries is commonly done via PO. So are baby chicks.

It’s up to the buyer if they want to pay to ship it with airlines. B5F71F04-30A0-4358-8397-2FE2D33CA5C9.png

Emeraldxo

Was this with the previous owners or the new owners, @Emeraldxo
Previous owners? From my understanding, I am the only owner. And to explain further; I am providing additional information. She was parent fed. I was told she was between 10 and 11 months old. What kind of breeder doesn't know their birds ages? I understand that birds, animals get heart murmurs as they are common. But they told me she was healthy. They gave me a health certificate that states she was healthy. They were not truthful and that is why I am upset. I am now attached to the bird and I am worried for her. She will need numerous tests done and probably surgery. Luckily, I shared my story and I started a Go Fund me to cover her medical expenses. I was able to raise some money for her to get the care she needs. I came up with a reasonable number, I hope it is enough to cover it all. Her first appt is in 3 weeks. It is the soonest I could get her in with a good vet. Thank goodness for generous people out there. She still won't let me touch her. She sits in her cage and hasn't played much with her toys. But, she just started taking treats from my hand which I am excited about. And she just started coming out of her cage. Other than that not much activity from her. she makes her typical Ringneck squeaky noises but no talking yet. Not sure if she will ever talk....

Emeraldxo

They did not change hands. It is a rumor. And they go by two names. The Finch Farm and Savvy Pets. I have been exchanging emails with them up until last week. That is what their replay email says. "Savvy Pets". When I looked it up, They are both at the same address. I looked up the address, it is a warehouse. They do not just sell birds, they sell all kinds of animals and reptiles. I have done lots of research on them. And I even found a website dedicated just for them for people to write their negative experiences on.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
And I even found a website dedicated just for them for people to write their negative experiences
Well, I have no dog in this race. I just hate to see Finch related suppliers getting dissed if it isn’t deserved, because it’s so hard for some people to find finches.
And who knows? The founder of the website you mention might just be a competitor. In fact, you might be a competitor yourself! And who knows? The founder of the website you mentioned might just be a competitor. In fact, you might be a competitor yourself! All I know is several finch people have gotten birds from them lately and been satisfied

Emeraldxo

Not a competitor. Just being an honest person. I am just here to tell my story. If you want to purchase a bird from them, do what makes you happy.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
@Emeraldxo , I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with the finch farm and I just wanted to thank you for sharing it. I hope that with your loving care your sweet baby can live a happy and much longer life than you expect. When I was looking around for birds for sale I stumbled upon the finch farm's website but I was put off by the sheer number of birds/species they have available. It seemed like over 1000 birds! I just felt there's no way anyone can properly care for that many.

Emeraldxo

@Emeraldxo , I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with the finch farm and I just wanted to thank you for sharing it. I hope that with your loving care your sweet baby can live a happy and much longer life than you expect. When I was looking around for birds for sale I stumbled upon the finch farm's website but I was put off by the sheer number of birds/species they have available. It seemed like over 1000 birds! I just felt there's no way anyone can properly care for that many.
After only one month of owning my bird I had to have her humanely euthanized. Her left ventricle was enlarged and pumping extremely hard. She would only get worse over time. This did not happen over night. When I first got her she was lethargic. They had to have known something was wrong with her. I am very upset. I got attached to her and I had to let her go. I am angry at these people. Not because of the money, I am over that part, but because of the trauma they put these birds through. They shipped my bird knowing full well she was sick. They have no heart.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
After only one month of owning my bird I had to have her humanely euthanized. Her left ventricle was enlarged and pumping extremely hard. She would only get worse over time. This did not happen over night. When I first got her she was lethargic. They had to have known something was wrong with her. I am very upset. I got attached to her and I had to let her go. I am angry at these people. Not because of the money, I am over that part, but because of the trauma they put these birds through. They shipped my bird knowing full well she was sick. They have no heart.
Oh no, I'm sorry I didn't realize!

And I am so very sorry for your loss
:sadhug2: