• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Finch Farm

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockingbirdiva that is really shady. I found that customer service took longer to get back to me as I was asking more questions and ran into issues with shipping. I was contacted on the 27th that my bird was ready to ship and if I was ready to receive it. I chose usps due to convince(I live a few miles from Boston and Logan Airport is an absolute mess). They put a tracking number on my account and saw it was in Miami a little after 5 hours of shipping...the tracking details stopped there and with a set date/time for the 28th by noon to pick up the bird I was nervous. I contacted finch farms customer service and was told the tracking info isn't complete and wouldn't see anything else until arrival at my post office. That didn't seem right for a priority express order and was then told they ship out many birds and only scan one or two sheets as its sent. They didn't seem to like that I contacted usps support and told me the shipment can take up to three days. Also, they suggested I setup for notifications on the usps website which I already had done. Asked why give customers tracking numbers if they mean little? I was upset that I put aside time for the order for nothing and after this customer service took much longer to get back to me to answer questions. They wanted to know when the bird was immediately in my care and it took them 8hrs to respond. On the plus side, usps support was awesome and put an urgent notice in for my order. I was just became confused when they pushed responsibility on the postal service. Also, Finch Farms do not refund live orders even after they are just placed due to "the complexity of their system". I'm sure this is fairly common but found it strange that there is no way out even after order is just placed. I do agree with @Monica about this place outsourcing breeders as others mentioned too. Was hoping for more transparency.

Photos are "borrowed" off the internet all day every day by many people. It's not the first time I've had someone use my photos of my birds without asking my permission. So far, I've caught three. This one from the Finchfarm, another I discovered on my own when I was looking for crimson rosella breeders to see what was available in the US ( this was quite some time ago and I was only curious as I had a crimson rosella for 10 years). Lo and behold, I look at a Rosella breeders website and find a photo of my bird sitting on a bakers rack in my home ( close up) in their photo gallery. I called their number listed and confronted them about it, pretty much said the same thing.... you are misrepresenting what you actually have by using my photo so take it off your website. Another individual "borrowed" a video of my female double yellowhead amazon singing a specific song. I was alerted to this by another individual ( who must have hated the seller) who contacted me and told me about it. Said other individual was selling their DYH using my video...even used the same name as my bird. Yep... I called them too. I have no problem being assertive in these cases..... just don't steal from me and you'll have no problems.

I don't believe anyone can retain your money before an actual product is sent ( in your case a living bird). No system is that complex. I personally would have threatened bad publicity and demanded my money back. I've had to go through an aggravating situation for supplies I ordered from overseas that when received, were not what I ordered. It's not easy dealing with a foreign country. At first it was fun messaging back and forth as they were trying to refund a small amount of my money, then more, then offering a free credit.... then I got frustrated and had to get a little ugly about it and tell them they were holding my money hostage. I got my refund. :D

I'm sorry you had to deal with this!

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
@Mockinbirdiva that is unreal...especially the video of your bird. I'm sure there are stock/free photos out there to use. I just became passive because the bird was being shipped and wanted no issues...either way I saw it as they kept the live bird price. I wrote to Emeraldxo in this thread and couldn't believe it took the BBB to get money back for a sick bird that had to be put down, even with vet documents. I'm just going to stick to my little guy for the time being just felt alot of things could have been presented better. I think its a mixture of stress and exhaustion from the coast to coast trip and poorly socializing with the bird. He/she cuddled on my slippers(I was sitting close to the cage) for ten minutes when I forgot to close the door after a water change...the little one then climbed back in the cage But the conure is so panic ridden. I just will have to do far more research if I get another bird far in the future. As others have said some have had good experiences and the finch farm was recommended to me by two people, but I won't shop for birds there again. Its a live and learn experience and with few breeders for conures around me, I was happy to find a pineapple green cheek online.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
Oh no, I am so sorry! It is so painful to lose them. Mine are age 4 and age almost-10, there is a thread here. With pictures!
Bax reminds me of a black and white papillion we named napoleon(yes he had the little man syndrome lol. Would act like he was 150lbs but ran anytime he was challanged. he was put down at 15 but was having trouble functioning...it was old age. Our vet said it hadn't seen too many papillions go beyond that age range in their care. I hope everything is okay with the little one with skin issues.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva that is unreal...especially the video of your bird. I'm sure there are stock/free photos out there to use. I just became passive because the bird was being shipped and wanted no issues...either way I saw it as they kept the live bird price. I wrote to Emeraldxo in this thread and couldn't believe it took the BBB to get money back for a sick bird that had to be put down, even with vet documents. I'm just going to stick to my little guy for the time being just felt alot of things could have been presented better. I think its a mixture of stress and exhaustion from the coast to coast trip and poorly socializing with the bird. He/she cuddled on my slippers(I was sitting close to the cage) for ten minutes when I forgot to close the door after a water change...the little one then climbed back in the cage But the conure is so panic ridden. I just will have to do far more research if I get another bird far in the future. As others have said some have had good experiences and the finch farm was recommended to me by two people, but I won't shop for birds there again. Its a live and learn experience and with few breeders for conures around me, I was happy to find a pineapple green cheek online.
It happens way more than many people know. I've even come across a hand painted chair I designed and painted on Pinterest while I was poking around looking at painted furniture other people do. I was very surprised! This, I don't mind, I like to know there are people who admire my artwork. I don't accept the stealing of photos of my birds to be used in the selling of other birds though.

In regard to your little guy - I don't know how long you've had it but in time your bird will acclimate to it's new surroundings, though that may take several months or just a few weeks. Breeders who raise an abundant number of birds will pull babies from the nest ( which will encourage the parents to nest again = more babies to sell). Depending on the breeder, babies are hand fed as a manner of business to get them fed and put them back in the container and on to the next chick. So, technically, they can say the bird was hand fed and handled. Imagine the stress of having to be taken away from everything that was the norm with other siblings, packed in a box by itself, juggled around by delivery people, sounds that would be terrifying for a bird, picked up eventually by you, and then subjected to another whole new environment. It's just scary to such a small creature which does bring on a tremendous amount of stress. Just keep things quiet, try not to stare at him and make him feel vulnerable, feed a great diet and place your cage in a non-high traffic area so it feels more comfortable. Next time, if there is, patiently wait for the right breeder who takes the time with socializing babies before they leave them and abundantly feeds their young so they are well on their way with a healthy appetite and used to being handled. And know that babies can be parent fed through fledgling and still become a great companion.

Emeraldxo

Sitting on the front steps
@Emeraldxo. I saw your complaint on the BBB after digging around earlier in the month and that is when I felt uneasy. I find it odd(not in a negative way) I happen to join the same forum and did not want to mention your complaint unless brought up. I read your post last night and remembered indian ringnecks being mentioned. I should have done something similar because I didn't like the fact they could not answer questions straight(softball questions)and saw the no refunds in their policy. I plan to due exactly what you said with the vet. My bird seems very alert but his tail feather are in not so good shape. Thanks for the response and advice.
You live near Boston? I Live north
of Boston. I bought my latest bird from Bird Supply of NH. Better to buy local. I learned my lesson. But they are great people at that store. They have beautiful birds and are very knowledgeable about their birds. I buy all my bird food toys and other supplies from there. They also have “Squak Hotel” for birds whose owners go on vacation. It’s quite cute. If you are shopping for a bird in the future and looking for a young bird, they have quite a few baby birds that they let you bond with before going home with them. Sorry, going off topic here but when you said Boston, thought I would send some info your way. :)

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
Thanks @Mockinbirdiva for your thoughts...its more likely the breeder did as you said. the conure only arrived a day and a half ago and have kept it in my dining room that we hardly use. It's quiet and the cage has a medium weight curtain I made on 3 sides. From the guys I used to handle it would take part of a week for them to calm down from shipping but the breeder that was a FL company handled and talked to them...They looked for attention fairly quickly. Not seeking high expectations for bonding just can tell something is not quiet right. Marley is a good eater and has been drinking an electrolyte water mix. I just wished I could take the company at their word and their answers didn't seem right, like taking it from a script/made up on the fly. @Emeraldxo I appreciate the heads up on the New Hampshire store. I may look into them for supplies since I visit a friend in Nashua frequently. Yeah, near Boston a few miles up 93...I could make the downtown area 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. No problem on getting side tracked...Its nice to speak to someone from the area that enjoys birds. Oh, scheduling my vet appointment for mid next week. Your experience had me thinking about Marley and the small issues I see with my small amount on conure experience has me concerned. Tail feather look snapped and the nails look like they have not been trimmed prior to shipping. I asked for Marleys flight feathers to be trimmed as We get to know eachother and the cuts look done messily(but he's been handled...right? They probably struggled to get him.) after seeing him/her spread out the wings. Its a mix of this for me, I know many birds cost more but it was a decent size purchase for me and I want to know marley is healthy and we can be buddies for 20-25 years.
Edit: my spelling is poor today lol.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks @Mockinbirdiva for your thoughts...its more likely the breeder did as you said. the conure only arrived a day and a half ago and have kept it in my dining room that we hardly use. It's quiet and the cage has a medium weight curtain I made on 3 sides. From the guys I used to handle it would take part of a week for them to calm down from shipping but the breeder that was a FL company handled and talked to them...They looked for attention fairly quickly. Not seeking high expectations for bonding just can tell something is not quiet right. Marley is a good eater and has been drinking an electrolyte water mix. I just wished I could take the company at their word and their answers didn't seem right, like taking it from a script/made up on the fly. @Emeraldxo I appreciate the heads up on the New Hampshire store. I may look into them for supplies since I visit a friend in Nashua frequently. Yeah, near Boston a few miles up 93...I could make the downtown area 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. No problem on getting side tracked...Its nice to speak to someone from the area that enjoys birds. Oh, scheduling my vet appointment for mid next week. Your experience had me thinking about Marley and the small issues I see with my small amount on conure experience has me concerned. Tail feather look snapped and the nails look like they have not been trimmed prior to shipping. I asked for Marleys flight feathers to be trimmed as We get to know eachother and the cuts look done messily(but he's been handled...right? They probably struggled to get him.) after seeing him/her spread out the wings. Its a mix of this for me, I know many birds cost more but it was a decent size purchase for me and I want to know marley is healthy and we can be buddies for 20-25 years.
Edit: my spelling is poor today lol.
Since the company is basically a broker and have probably never seen or handled the bird they would of course have standard answers. Your bird is still decompressing from a very stressful event and no telling how much he has been through in transport. Fortunately, it's eating well and drinking. It may have well freaked out inside the carrier causing any broken feathers. As a rule, nails are generally not trimmed, though I did do it for people who bought from me prior to leaving with a bird, as well as dna sexing if they wished ( it's not expensive). Inexperienced people do stupid clips on wings. Flight gives confidence to birds and healthier bird. Even if he had been handled, most birds don't like having their wings or tails touched. Share some photos when you can.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
@Mockinbirdiva I'm sure he(just going to go with that for not until tested lol)didn't have the easiest trip...spent an extra day travelling. I can see he's calming down a bit, loves eating his frankenstein mix I've given him, and has been coming to the front of the cage to peek through the bars. With his wings, I needed to adjust but also didn't want him to get into anything in the house upon arrival. He's going to remain flighted when everything grows back. I scheduled an appt for him in a few days and will ask for a dna test as well...finch farms wanted 100 dollars for sexing and thought that was a bit much. I will be posting photos very soon...really want to get a good one when he is calm and use it as a profile picture too. I saw his "cousin" I was calling him in the conure court good,bad, and ugly thread named pierre. @Emeraldxo gave a great location that is not too far over state lines for bird supplies and even said they have a hotel lol. I appreciate you and all the folks who have chatted with me and shared their best wishes and advice with the circumstances I received Marley.

Emeraldxo

Sitting on the front steps
@Mockinbirdiva I'm sure he(just going to go with that for not until tested lol)didn't have the easiest trip...spent an extra day travelling. I can see he's calming down a bit, loves eating his frankenstein mix I've given him, and has been coming to the front of the cage to peek through the bars. With his wings, I needed to adjust but also didn't want him to get into anything in the house upon arrival. He's going to remain flighted when everything grows back. I scheduled an appt for him in a few days and will ask for a dna test as well...finch farms wanted 100 dollars for sexing and thought that was a bit much. I will be posting photos very soon...really want to get a good one when he is calm and use it as a profile picture too. I saw his "cousin" I was calling him in the conure court good,bad, and ugly thread named pierre. @Emeraldxo gave a great location that is not too far over state lines for bird supplies and even said they have a hotel lol. I appreciate you and all the folks who have chatted with me and shared their best wishes and advice with the circumstances I received Marley.
The bird store I recommended does DNA sexing for $30 I believe. I usually do mine through Avian Genetics. They are out of Florida. I’ve done all of my birds from there. They charge $20 and you get results within a few business days. You’d obviously would have to clip the nail a bit short to draw a bit of blood but if you’re squeamish, you can do it through the store. Or I guess any vet can do it...? I’ve never gone that route. If you’re ever looking for Freeze dried bird food for those days you don’t have time to prepare a meal for your baby, I recommend Avian Organics out of Canada. Her name is Danita Morrison. Very nice person to deal with and her prices are reasonable. I checked 2 or 3 Freeze dried companies here in the states but were too pricey and not enough variety. Let me know if you have any questions. I have 3 Conures and 1 Hahns Macaw. And now in the process of adopting another bird. I have done tons of research on everything imaginable, lol. Again, good luck!

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
@Emeraldxo Thank you sooo much. I called the vet and they send dna testing out but do alot of other testing inhouse. Is there a general thread where people can chat? I feel like i'm sidetracking this thread and need to move on from this one. I got my feelings out and mentioned I should move on but keep receiving reactions/comments and wanted to thank people by posting from the threads they came from. I would love to keep you as well as a few others in mind...plus its great to have another wicked retahded mbum to chat with:). @finchly @Mockinbirdiva same goes for you two and thank you.
Edit: the site doesn't allow what MA people are sometimes referred as lol.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have no idea what a "Frankenstein mix" is. Back in the day when I was raising it cost 19.50 for me to dna my birds with a blood sample. Finch farm is a rip off. Of course, if your vet does the dna expect to pay at least 40.00. Just guessing.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
@Mockinbirdiva i'm getting goofy and thinking po' boy for birds lol...its a seed mix with some dried egg food plus a crushed nut or two. going to test out some veggies slowly though when I asked they said the bird hasn't had much in the way of fresh veggies. I figure its only had the dehydrated veggies from this goldenfeast mix that was recommended on the purchase page. Marley did enjoy a tiny piece of carrot chopped up today and will have a pic for my profile plus a few extras later this evening. Yeah the dna testing didn't seem right like just like the faq page about refunds not given "due to their complex inventory system" and how it would throw the system off lol. I'm not too worried about cost of testing but 100 dollars seemed excessive. I'm sticking to conures just the right size for me plus personality but if I do purchase another later on I want to be able to purchase closer to me...most of the breeders I found were in FL or TX. At the very least i'd want to speak with the actual caretaker on the phone and see photo's. I only got a photo when they packed my little one up which they did atleast state on the website.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is there a general thread where people can chat? I
Nit a thread so much as sections,just go to the forum view and select the closest one to your topic. It’s okay to have several threads going, and it’s okay to veer off topic.

Can’t wait to see your photos.

Beatlesfan

Meeting neighbors
@finchly Thank you. Its been a rough night lol. Hoped to snap a photo this evening but will wait until he calms a bit more...could be tomorrow. I changed his water before bed time and he flew(well flapped, he's trimmed for the time being) into my hoodie and fell asleep just below my neck. Can't blame him, the house is at 67 degrees but we had some days in the 30's and 40's. luckily it'll be warmer this week. I'll be sleeping in my chair tonight and good thing my day starts late today.