• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The explorer

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's been nearly 5 months of inca's adventure outside the cage (and that disaster). We didn't try anything new in between. Gradually inca became an integral part of our family, he started accepting, loving and demanding head scratch... So, when the surrounding became familiar to him, I thought we should start exploring. For last few days I was luring him outside his cage with his favorite treats... He used to take them and ran back to his safe place. But today he flew around the room (I've made my bedroom bird safe).... He was chilling out for nearly one hour, then went to enjoy his snack inside the cage. But there are few problems.
1. He absolutely doesn't have any intention of stepping up. Actually I think he's not understanding me.
2. He's still scared of any T perch, even a hand held dowel perch... He just freaked out, so I didn't push it further.
But, both of us are pretty satisfied... What do you think! :laugh: :birdance: IMG_20210610_144728.jpg

Attachments

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now, please advice me how to teach him stepping up.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like making it very rewarding to step up. Like, there’s a really yummy something just ever so slightly out of reach from them and they have to at least put one foot on the perch in order to be close enough to get to the treat. If the bird is super scared of dowels and sticks, then I put the stick on a flat table and set the bird up so that they have to step on/over the perch or stick. After stepping on and over the stick, I raise the stick up an inch or so, and then the have to work a little bit harder to step over it to get the treat. Keep going and training until the stick is 6 inches off the table and they’re fine hopping up on the stick or dowel to get at what they want. From there you can go to cage exercises or any spot really. Want that dripping water? Step over the stick. Want to go from your cage to the play stand? Step over the stick. Stepping over rapidly eases into stepping up and going for a transport.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will try this today. Till now he thinks the stick is a monster :lol:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
He found his own perches. :laugh: Cute!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Really! I think this cloth stand is going to be his play gym...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I do! curtsey.gif

At the time we couldn't afford anything we liked so I ended up getting a rolling garment rack at Walmart for $50 and adding a rope perch and vet wrap. It's a double garment rack so it's big and sturdy, plus the wheels are big enough to roll smoothly between carpet & tile and it fits through our doors. I chose this color because it was power coated & I thought I remember reading that chrome isn't safe for birds.

I assembled it with the shelves in different positions than the instructions, but it works great. :tup: The one in the middle makes it sturdy and gives me a place to put newspapers and the bottom shelf holds his carrier. I did end up having to finagle some Frisbees to keep him from shimmying down to the floor though. :rolleyes:
0719171746-1-1.jpg

I turned the curved bars in towards each other so he could reach across & attached the rope perch between the "toy hangers". I use vet wrap to make it easier to grip, but also to cover the parts he beaks. We've since added a large PVC piece across the tops of the posts on one end to give more places to perch.

We don't have food bowls on it since it's right next to his cage, but you could probably screw those Lixit bowls to the "toy hangers".

Last edited:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today I kept a big bowl of water on inca's cage top, just to see if he takes a bath... I also put some of his toys in that. He was trying to retrieve them, but didn't understand the real purpose of the bowl... He's still very careful and suspicious outside his cage... And the hand held perch still a no-no. Whenever he looks at it, he just freaks out. I don't know how much time will he need:(