• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Excitement Is Real!

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I noticed my two female Gouldian Finches have been spending a lot more time in their nest so I decided to see what's up. Took my phone flashlight and gently got them to leave and candled the eggs they've been sitting on through the nest walls(it's one of those larger bamboo nest things). I looked at the eggs and what do I see? Two vibrant red eggs! I have fertile eggs! My first set of Gouldian babies are on their way! I was not expecting anything to happen this year let alone so late in the year but holy crap, Obsidian(the male) did his deed and someone gave me two lovely fertile eggs. The girls are taking turns sitting on them if not both o them sitting on them. I'm providing copius amounts of food and supplements to make sure they have plenty for themselves and for when the babies hatch. I cannot wait to see these tiny little naked peepers arrive and to watch them grow.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations on the eggs

i hope the incubating and rearing goes well for your girls :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Do you know what colour of Gouldians the babies might be?

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I have red headed and black headed. I would have orange headed if Topaz was still alive. I dont know what happened to him. He just, for some reason, passed away on me. We'll see how the babies turn out once they molt. I'll know who the mom is then since I don't actually know who laid the eggs. But I'm so excited! They're taking super good care of the eggs so hopefully they do the same with the babies as I know Gouldians have a tendency to not be the best of parents.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Well, the one baby I had did not make it. I'm thinking because the moms are new to the idea of raising a baby, they got a bit rough trying to feed it and accidentally killed it. There is still a viable egg from what I can tell so hopefully it hatches. If it does, I hope they take better care of it. If I have to, I'll attempt hand feeding and raise it myself. I have an incubator I use for snake eggs and I can easily get formula. If push comes to shove, I'll do what it takes.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww sorry to hear that :( I hope the other egg is successful.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I hope so too. I have a plan in mind in case I have to intervene. I feel I will have too and it will tough tryin to keep such a tiny baby alive. Thankfully I have an incubator already set at the right temp and I can easily get a good formula quickly.