• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The endless search for a Dusky conure (Aratinga Wendellii)post 2

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
Sounds like a fantastic fit I'll make surr to get a second opinion before i look into them aww jakes a sweet ol grumpus elderly birds are awesome unfortunately I cannot afford to house one at the time because of manadatory regular vet visists, same deal as with my special needs buddies I love them so much and once I get enough money I will definitely give them the most lavish life. The outgoing personaility is exactly what im going for, just a socialable bird that likes people and is alright for an apartment in terms of noise! Thanks for telling me about your senegal. Ill make sure to get a bathing dish just in case they prefer that more, but if they dont i already have a mister and a shower attatchment that runs on really low water psi. Sounds like more of a mix of ground and tree forager with mostly veg/ pellets and minimal non fatty seeds. I can definitely do that what would you say are the percentages that make up his diet? In ratio to pellets to fruits/ veg or Seed?

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
There's a number that you can call. Go onto their website and search for duskies. The phone number is in the description paragraph.
What I did notice is that they have all their birds 'out of stock'. Not quite certain what that means, but at least give them a call and start from there.

I've had several birds shipped and all did fine!
That is a super relief thank you so much I will definitely call! Im glad the shipping situation priotizes the health and comfort of the bird before the order or speed. Ill give em a call and an email for good measure and update ya!

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
So sorry for the loss of your cockatiel.
Thanks for your condolences always means a lot to me, his legacy and memory lives on through the other birds hes helped with other similar cases and the information he provided on a very rare syptom that birds normally never display, neroligical disfunction. It helps vets learn about what can contribute neroligical displacure and neruo symptoms. He taught me so much about life and the true valvue of perserverence and postivivity to possibility. He was the happiest little booger on the planet and all he wanted to do was hang out with mum and work towards getting better in health, almost towards the end he did so so well. He was regraining balance through phyiscal therapy sessions and learning how to fly, something we never thought would be possible for him. (He could climb and waddle before he passed, when for a couple months he couldnt even keep his head up, he was a miracle bird) He just wanted to live and fight and you could see it in his eyes. I love him, and id like to believe hes still there watching over me and bringing me good luck and a helping hand, through others.

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
Find a quality bird store. Most members won't agree with that, but there are some out there. Ask if they can get you a dusky. They'll have resources with breeders who only sell to stores. I've seen several at In A Pickle in Cleveland, Ohio, and they're a neat little bird. As @Mizzely said, they are not bred widely any more because the majority of people want crimson bellies, GC mutations, and suns. However, they're out there.
Thank you Im also taking up your tip and trying to ask about the breeding network for these fellows and wether the breeder is available near me or ships safely. Ill call about in a pickle since that might be close enough for a car trip. Many thanks ;D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Ooo thank you Ill definitely call him and see if he still does clutches or knows anyone who does, which state is silvernite in?
Pennsylvania

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you Im also taking up your tip and trying to ask about the breeding network for these fellows and wether the breeder is available near me or ships safely. Ill call about in a pickle since that might be close enough for a car trip. Many thanks ;D
I got JaKhu (B&G Macaw) from In a Pickle parrot shop, sight unseen. Saw her photo on their website, called & put a deposit on her. Drove 4 hours one way to get her. She was 4 months & 11 says old, just weaned. The store is clean. They carry pellets, treats, & have tons of supplies, cages, toys, toy parts, play gyms, etc. There were several older macaws, African Greys, Toos, etc., in cages along the one wall & back section. They had smaller birds as well. We did not check out the nursery room. The store is in a sort of small strip mall. Can't miss it as they have big photos of parrots on the front of the store. We didn't look at other birds while there, as we wanted to see/get JaKhu & head home (another 5 hours with stops). JaKhu was on a play gym when we got there. They had a bench in the back where I sat & held her & also 2 chairs by the play gyms. Paul (owner) handed me JaKhu & walked away letting me to check her out. I asked for & was given a small Ziploc baggie of food for the trip home. We had taken a dog crate I used for my other macaw to put her in for the long ride home. They also sell those zip up travel carriers. They do nails, wing clips & they board birds. Several people brought their birds in while we were there. This place has a good reputation. I was given her DNA certificate & signed a contract. We spent one hour in the store.

They have recently changed their site due to being overwhelmed by people wanting birds & a slow start to breeding season. They have a waiting list for many species & others they post for sale: OUR BIRDS | inapickleparrots They have more info on their face book page: In A Pickle Parrot Shop I'd suggest calling them. Also note their hours, as they are limited.

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
I am sorry for your loss. I wish u the best of luck in finding the bird fit for you.

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
I got JaKhu (B&G Macaw) from In a Pickle parrot shop, sight unseen. Saw her photo on their website, called & put a deposit on her. Drove 4 hours one way to get her. She was 4 months & 11 says old, just weaned. The store is clean. They carry pellets, treats, & have tons of supplies, cages, toys, toy parts, play gyms, etc. There were several older macaws, African Greys, Toos, etc., in cages along the one wall & back section. They had smaller birds as well. We did not check out the nursery room. The store is in a sort of small strip mall. Can't miss it as they have big photos of parrots on the front of the store. We didn't look at other birds while there, as we wanted to see/get JaKhu & head home (another 5 hours with stops). JaKhu was on a play gym when we got there. They had a bench in the back where I sat & held her & also 2 chairs by the play gyms. Paul (owner) handed me JaKhu & walked away letting me to check her out. I asked for & was given a small Ziploc baggie of food for the trip home. We had taken a dog crate I used for my other macaw to put her in for the long ride home. They also sell those zip up travel carriers. They do nails, wing clips & they board birds. Several people brought their birds in while we were there. This place has a good reputation. I was given her DNA certificate & signed a contract. We spent one hour in the store.

They have recently changed their site due to being overwhelmed by people wanting birds & a slow start to breeding season. They have a waiting list for many species & others they post for sale: OUR BIRDS | inapickleparrots They have more info on their face book page: In A Pickle Parrot Shop I'd suggest calling them. Also note their hours, as they are limited.
Oh that sounds wonderful! Im sure they might have a good fit, ill call in and see!

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
I am sorry for your loss. I wish u the best of luck in finding the bird fit for you.
Thanks tons! The good luck wishes help, no need to be sorry it was his time and he was verrrrryyy happy and super loved and spoiled, it was the worst thing in the world when he passed, but he wouldnt want me moping about and locking my arms closed to the world of birds and people, he was such a little trooper he loved life people and was such a postitive little guy, even when he could barely breathe in the beginning he just loved life, he liked taking his sunbathing naps and eating looots of millet because he was a very spoiled bugger and he needed to desperately gain weight so per vets treament plan he was on all seed for quiet a good chunk of his life, but I think it helped me learn a lot. It also ingrained the importance of good breeding standards and genetic lineage being a prioriety in breeding, his parents were obviously really sick, and his siblings were so outrageously unhygenic, and very much bullies, i assume he was the runt he was the tiniest little thing and his clutchmates were really awful to him because they were stuffed into a tiny enclosure. So next time i buy from people and contact breeders I always make sure I know who im buying from and the parents and clutchmatea are healthy and well cared for. I also became really good at special abilities bird care and I think I will definitely be doing it for the long haul through my life!

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Thanks tons! The good luck wishes help, no need to be sorry it was his time and he was verrrrryyy happy and super loved and spoiled, it was the worst thing in the world when he passed, but he wouldnt want me moping about and locking my arms closed to the world of birds and people, he was such a little trooper he loved life people and was such a postitive little guy, even when he could barely breathe in the beginning he just loved life, he liked taking his sunbathing naps and eating looots of millet because he was a very spoiled bugger and he needed to desperately gain weight so per vets treament plan he was on all seed for quiet a good chunk of his life, but I think it helped me learn a lot. It also ingrained the importance of good breeding standards and genetic lineage being a prioriety in breeding, his parents were obviously really sick, and his siblings were so outrageously unhygenic, and very much bullies, i assume he was the runt he was the tiniest little thing and his clutchmates were really awful to him because they were stuffed into a tiny enclosure. So next time i buy from people and contact breeders I always make sure I know who im buying from and the parents and clutchmatea are healthy and well cared for. I also became really good at special abilities bird care and I think I will definitely be doing it for the long haul through my life!
Thank you for sharing your story and I really appreciate how this experience led you into understanding more about the importance of breeding. It’s sad that there are breeders who don’t care about their birds but with ppl like u who r more conscious and weary it’ll make less of a market for them.