• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the eagle is hatching!

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Why does it look like there are 3. I thought there were only 2 eggs...or is this a different nest than the one in Florida? I must have missed something along the way...

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
There are only two chicks... Maybe the older one is just extra fluffy? :lol:

Mom Gabrielle on the left, dad Samson dropping off the clump of moss at his feet:
Eagle11.JPG

Eagle12.JPG

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
It was nice to read on the chat there today about competition for food. They say the little one needs less food right now but as long as there is plenty of food brought to the pantry (and Samson is a great provider- except when he brought those leaves and Gabby said ":hmmm:") when the older one gets full the little one will get his share. They also said competition becomes less as they get bigger.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Samson is a great provider- except when he brought those leaves and Gabby said ":hmmm:"
This reminds me of the "discussions" my partner and I have about our differing priorities for home improvements. Currently, I think its more important to replace the front door and some of our windows for insulation purposes -- he wants a different exterior paint color :embarassed:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sampson is a real beauty. Mama looks pretty fierce and is not as pretty, but she's a good mama..

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I saw the comments that Samson delivered some fresh squirrel meat a little bit ago :eek: I am so glad I did not see that :depressed:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe it’s a good thing then that I can’t get the camera to work at all. When I get to the website, on the page to the left where I was clicking on is just now a white blank area....not sure what happened but will keep trying.

Glad I missed the squirrel though!! :wideyed:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Maybe it’s a good thing then that I can’t get the camera to work at all. When I get to the website, on the page to the left where I was clicking on is just now a white blank area....not sure what happened but will keep trying.

Glad I missed the squirrel though!! :wideyed:
Are you able to access the live Youtube feed?

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Just clicked on it and won’t go either. I can follow the live cam of the miniature mare that will be giving birth but can’t get this one all of a sudden

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Yep, @Hjarta5 glad I didn't see them feeding the squirrel - the fish was OK but a squirrel... I know its natural but a cute furry squirrel. I just took a peak and momma is resting tonight.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I just heard on the news last night that and an eagle pair in the San Bernardino mountains had laid two eggs. After sitting on them for over 40 days, they think the eggs are not viable. They think the eagles will continue to sit on them for a few more days and then abandon them and try again next year.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I find it really amazing that the little ones are able to gulp down the pieces of fish that their parents tear for them. Maybe because its springtime here and both of my birds are being hormonal, I was really expecting the eagles to feed their babies by regurgitation!

Here's the older one being fed first by Gabrielle:
Eagle20.JPG

Then its the younger one's turn:
Eagle21.JPG

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I was so sure they would choke on it when I saw.
The chat mods said the parents produce a lot of "drool" that helps the food go down and they said the drool also contains antibodies!
I was really surprised at that. But I guess they have to pass them along somehow. I wonder about how much bacteria grows on a dead fish /squirrel after a day or more in the pantry.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I have noticed the drool! When Samson was feeding the chickies yesterday, he had a rather noticeable one that landed on N22's head and stayed there for a while :rolleyes: But I am glad that that is just part of the natural process!

Eagle22.JPG

Eagle23.JPG

In sadder news, a Bald Eagle was found dead in Grand Haven, Michigan earlier today and it is suspected that s/he was shot: DNR investigating death of bald eagle in Grand Haven :sorrow:

Last edited: