• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The ducklings Trio

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
They don't poop on me, which is appreciate they will remove themselves from the huddle
I had a zebra finch inside after a rough night in the aviary. He was pretty cold so we put him in a travel cage for a while indoors. Anyway, he came out and I had him in my hoodie pocket trying to warm him up. He hopped out onto the armchair I was sat in, pooped, then climbed back in my pocket again. Sadly, after all that, a little while later a rat got in and we lost a lot. Despite our concrete base. :(

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I had a zebra finch inside after a rough night in the aviary. He was pretty cold so we put him in a travel cage for a while indoors. Anyway, he came out and I had him in my hoodie pocket trying to warm him up. He hopped out onto the armchair I was sat in, pooped, then climbed back in my pocket again. Sadly, after all that, a little while later a rat got in and we lost a lot. Despite our concrete base. :(
He sounds like a very special little finch. I am so sorry for your losses. Such a tragedy :sad4::sad5:

-----Trigger Warning in this paragraph-----
Hopefully you have since found a better management to discourage rats. A poor rat became caught in the chickens' fence before. That was one of the most morbid things ever. The hens had picked him clean to the bone, but only the side of him that didn't escape. So very messed up. He shoulders and head were out of the enclosure and the back end was clean bone. Poor little rat, a horrible way to go.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I really hope Cyprus doesn't have a fractured wing.. or angel wings!
Oh tell me about it! Poor little guy. He or she is just going on as if nothing in the world to worry about except veggies, baths and fun!

If it is angel wing or a fracture we can manage it. His breed cannot fly. They are fully domestic and dependent on human care and protection. This will not be life threatening in the way it would be a wild duck. For a wild duck it is death.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Also compared to parrot poops poultry have large movements. My chicken Rodger, had incredible poops.. like golf ball size :hehepink:
I wish someone would tell Burt this!! Lmao I am pretty sure that Burt's morning poop is what my chooks used to put out over the whole day :rofl:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
He sounds like a very special little finch. I am so sorry for your losses. Such a tragedy :sad4::sad5:
Thanks.

Hopefully you have since found a better management to discourage rats
When we built the new aviary, we went to the extremes. About 8 inches of solid concrete. We also found they nested under our shed, which was attached to the aviary. We now have concrete bases there too.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Update from the vet consult:

So the vet said that at the moment it doesn't look like "classic angle wing" However this doesn't mean it isn't. Cyprus may just present it in a different way.

The vet suggested to monitor it for 2 days and to set up an appointment at that point if it seems to worsen or look the same. Apparently the symptoms are more likely to be a fracture. Poor little Cyprus. He isn't showing signs of pain that are obvious to me. He is just going on about life as usual. I hope he doesn't have a fracture :( I will keep everyone updated.
Aww poor little guy. I´m hoping that whatever it is can be fixed!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Cyprus will probably visit the vet next week. His left wing is just off and the vet has been very helpful but might need to see him in person as the next step.

They spent all day in the rain today. They played and made mud puddles! Though when the sun went down they were ready to come to their bed. They were so happy to see me and we're all greeting me as duckies do. Jade was especially sweet and nuzzled me. They are magical and getting so green! :D

IMG_20200725_184428.jpg

Edit: Cyprus is the duck at the top of the photo and you can see his goofy wing. It isn't sitting correctly.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Cyprus will probably visit the vet next week. His left wing is just off and the vet has been very helpful but might need to see him in person as the next step.

They spent all day in the rain today. They played and made mud puddles! Though when the sun went down they were ready to come to their bed. They were so happy to see me and we're all greeting me as duckies do. Jade was especially sweet and nuzzled me. They are magical and getting so green! :D

View attachment 347342

Edit: Cyprus is the duck at the top of the photo and you can see his goofy wing. It isn't sitting correctly.
Do they try flapping out of the tub?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Do they try flapping out of the tub?
Nope it has been their bed since they moved out of the brooder so they get all snuggled up and sleep nearly immediately. They are good duckies. I have found them to be sticklers for routine even more than chickens or parrots.

• Love
Reactions: Ali

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What about Mandarins?
Mandarins are surely beautiful. Cayuga are probably better for a companion bird. Though there will surely always be exceptions. :)

Reactions: Ali

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Will they live outdoors permenantly when they are old enough?
That is the expectation. They spend their entire day outside now from sunup to sundown. They are still have some fuzz though. When fully feathered they will start sleeping outside too. It is still winter in Australia.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Are they a good species to handle the temperature extremes? Sorry for the questions, it just saves @Zara from having to ask them later :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Are they a good species to handle the temperature extremes? Sorry for the questions, it just saves @Zara from having to ask them later :lol:
There are many many breeds of domestic ducks. @Zara will find a perfect fit :)