• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The ducklings Trio

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is actually why we decided to try Duckies. The boys can stay. Saying buy to your babies is the worst.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have no Idea why you aren't allowed to have roosters.
Cock-a-doodle-DOOOOOO!!!

Some neighbourhoods won´t allow them because they disturb the peace :(

I´m glad you found a nice farm for him Natalie :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I'm sorry. I'm at a loss. I have no Idea why you aren't allowed to have roosters. What is this council?
It is my city's law. I am allowed 20 fowls on my lot, but No roosters. You can keep any other fowl as long as they don't cause a "nuisance" which is vague. So precautionarily I avoid loud fowl like guinea, peafowl or geese. If you have a lot smaller than 800 sqm you can have 6 fowl.

Chickens and poultry

I moved just north of Brisbane, but we have the same council guidelines.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Cock-a-doodle-DOOOOOO!!!

Some neighbourhoods won´t allow them because they disturb the peace :(

I´m glad you found a nice farm for him Natalie :)
I actually looked into the decibels of their call and surprisingly it is similar to a lawn mower. So yeah I know it is loud, but we are exposed to so much noise. Humans lived for centuries with close proximity to fowl and rooster calls were celebrated. Just as a thought exercise I like to image how we could get over ourselves and allow the chicken-human barrier to relax a bit.

For the record with my own roo I set up a plan for him straight away. I do not condone people trying to keep them illegally. Then you are risking even more problems for the birds! It is an important consideration for anyone getting backyard fowl. Know your rooster laws!

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Cock-a-doodle-DOOOOOO!!!
:facepalm:
...:lol:.. I guess I come from an uncivilised country... I fool you not but you can still find roosters in the middle of Ljubljana (homeland capital) Zagreb also.
Besides I used to live in a small village (17 houses) and EVERY house had chickens and roosters. The morning chorus never botheres me.. Rather i miss it now.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
There’s a rooster at a small farm near my house, and I love to hear him in the morning :xflove: (some of the other people in the neighborhood don’t share my point of view :grumpy:)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I woke up this morning to find Cyprus with what looks like early signs of angel wing. They have never had any treats other than fresh greens and veggie with some blueberries. They had dried worms just twice and only a tiny amount.

They have been on ducklings food as their main diet.

My first move will be to move them to adult duck food since I have read that some people prevented angel wing by only feeding starter for 2 weeks. I have had them on duckling starter this whole time. So now I feel like a failure :(

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well good news they already approve of adult duck food. Hopefully we can slow the progression of that is what is happening here.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well good news they already approve of adult duck food. Hopefully we can slow the progression of that is what is happening here.
I read that you could vet wrap the wings or something like that to fix it when it’s caught early?

Edit:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I read that you could vet wrap the wings or something like that to fix it when it’s caught early?

Edit:

Thank you for that link.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m hoping for the best! :hug9:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Enjoy their cute little bottoms. Their tails are growing in so fast! They were out all day today. :)

p.s. I literally brought them in on clean bedding not 2 hours ago. They are little poop machines!

IMG_20200721_202657.jpg

IMG_20200721_202708.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Update from the vet consult:

So the vet said that at the moment it doesn't look like "classic angle wing" However this doesn't mean it isn't. Cyprus may just present it in a different way.

The vet suggested to monitor it for 2 days and to set up an appointment at that point if it seems to worsen or look the same. Apparently the symptoms are more likely to be a fracture. Poor little Cyprus. He isn't showing signs of pain that are obvious to me. He is just going on about life as usual. I hope he doesn't have a fracture :( I will keep everyone updated.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
p.s. I literally brought them in on clean bedding not 2 hours ago. They are little poop machines!
How do they compare to parrots in this way? Are they a poop every 20 minutes kind of bird or are poultry generally less poopy?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Know your rooster laws!
Due to the land our house was built on, we have some really weird things in the deeds. We cannot keep poultry, but next door are allowed to slaughter pigs as long as they do it in a certain part of their garden. :confused: Needless to say, we have never slaughtered any pigs in their garden!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
How do they compare to parrots in this way? Are they a poop every 20 minutes kind of bird or are poultry generally less poopy?
It is a very different mess. Parrots poops are pretty easy to clean and generally it falls away from them. My duckies walk on the ground and can easily step in it and spread it around. Generally they can last about 35min between poops when they are cuddling, though they are babies not sure when they are adults. They don't poop on me, which is appreciate they will remove themselves from the huddle. They poop more frequently when they are active. The moment they jump into the new fresh pool they all poop.. which is hilarious!

Also compared to parrot poops poultry have large movements. My chicken Rodger, had incredible poops.. like golf ball size :hehepink:

Ducks eat snails and insects- chickens eat insects and lizards or pretty much anything.. Chicken poop is much more offensive since the omnivorous diet. Duck poops are less offensive than chickens but more so than parrots.

Parrot poops are probably the least offensive of all birds that I have experience with. Geese aren't that offensive either except for the size.

Humm-- well that turned into a long post. On Poop! Hahahah!