• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The ducklings Trio

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Where are they going to be kept as adults?
I have a pen in my back yard, it is 18sqm and tall enough for adult humans to walk within. I live on an 800 sqm lot that is next to a nature conservation zone, so lots of bush and wildlife. They will end up living outside.

As with my chickens I keep them in the house for the first few weeks. Then when they are pinch older they move to the verandah and eventually when feathered will go out to the pen. They will also get to free range the garden when we are around to supervise. There are a lot of predatory birds that visit my home regularly. So I keep little little babies safe inside.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Their routine is filled with bathtimes/splashing! :D

What do they smell like wet?
Like ducks :p :p :p

It is a sorta feathery musky smell. Not fruity/nutty like the parrots.. more like oily musk, if that makes any sense at all!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
They are going to be beautiful green with some purple. They are Cayuga ducks. A pretty large breed, will probably be bigger than my dog.

As they get older they will start getting white feathers each molt and get more and more white in their later years. Their lifespan is around 12 and the rare duck breeder told me they don't start developing white until late life. He said some won't even get much white at all, each duck is a little unique like how human get whites, all different ages :)

Here are some reference photos I grabbed from google so you can get an idea.

View attachment 344268
View attachment 344269 View attachment 344270
Their colouring reminds me of the Muscovy ducks here in Florida with the exception that the Muscovy's have weird bumps on their faces that look like warts (but aren't). Your duckies are very, very cute!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Their colouring reminds me of the Muscovy ducks here in Florida with the exception that the Muscovy's have weird bumps on their faces that look like warts (but aren't). Your duckies are very, very cute!
Muscovy seem very popular in my area. They are fairly soft spoken so make better suburban ducks.

Mine should be pretty quiet too, but a little more chatty than Muscovy :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Muscovy seem very popular in my area. They are fairly soft spoken so make better suburban ducks.

Mine should be pretty quiet too, but a little more chatty than Muscovy :)
I haven't seen any in person but I'm on a forum called Florida Birds & Wildlife which has had several photos posted. What struck me as curious is that Muscovy(ies?) apparently nest in tree hollows - and you've mentioned ducks that could climb.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They have grown a lot and finally a lot of feather development happening. I am 90% sure Jade is a boy. :) Not sure of others sex yet.
IMG_20200711_130740.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:lol: All three of them squeezing into the dish is the cutest pic ever! :cloud9: :loveshower:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
We also upgraded their sleeping area.

I feel a little guilty for the environmental toll using absorbent pet pads, but they will grow fast and in a short 4 weeks will probably be living outside. The pads can hold an entire waterer of splashing and I like that. I also probably go overboard. They get cleaned and refreshed 3-4 times a day. They are fantastic at making a mess.

As a child my father randomly brought home 12 ducklings who all died from getting too wet, even with the heat lamp. I was only 7 but those little bodies still burden me. My father ended up buying 6 more ducklings that same year, 2 made it to adulthood. Some people have no business keeping animals...my father was one of those people.

I layer the bottom with chips so it is soft to walk on and place the pads overtop.

MVIMG_20200711_210239_1.jpg

IMG_20200711_210246.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry about all the ducklings :( That´s so sad.
I didn´t know ducks could get too wet.
Love the new pool and sleeping quarters! :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I didn´t know ducks could get too wet.
Love the new pool and sleeping quarters! :)
Well without mum to force them out...I think they would stay in the water all day. Little boats.

They are so cute and used to our routine! Their personalities are coming out and it is so cool. Cyprus seems to be the one to encourage action but doesn't take the first steps...just sorta rallies everyone. Then Lio just gets all excited by Cyprus and becomes emboldened. Lio is the smallest so it is really cute. Little and fierce! Jade seems to be a calm bird, chill, follows happily with the other two.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How adorable! Such sweet personalities :swoon:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks tasty... but... you seem to have forgotten the picture of the duckies eating the food.... :rolleyes: ;)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sweet! :swoon: I bet you´re having a wonderful time playing with these ducks and splashing around with them :cloud9: