• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The ducklings Trio

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Crazy Bob from Pet Goose George has two ducklings he rescued he's been raising. They love to chase him around and play and dive in the pond. People say they might be wood ducks as they can climb like crazy. They have bonded to him now and love to stay by or on him and they make him giggle all the time. George is a bit jealous but he keeps an eye on them and George is learning he's not going to loose dad.
Your lil guys sure remind me of those ducks even though they aren't the same breed :xflove:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Crazy Bob from Pet Goose George has two ducklings he rescued he's been raising.
I love George! I haven't watched the channel in awhile I will follow up on it and see the ducklings.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Dartman I think those are mallards :) Super cute!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Everyone has been saying they're mallards but he originally had 4 of them he found on the road and put them in Georges old pen with a extra plexiglass shield so that they couldn't jump out of the gate and 3 of them climbed the wall and ran away. So everyone said wood ducks climb but now the two of them look like mallards.
Lucy got lucky Bob found her hiding under his propane tank, he couldn't find the others :sad2: He had no clue they could climb so well till they were gone and felt really bad.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A serious of annoying events. First the heat lamp burnt out, which made sense since I haven't used the set up in two years when I was raising baby chickens. So we get a new bulb. The fixture failed... like what? How? So my partner runs to Bunnings gets a new one.. Put the lamp in the new fixture, and turns on to spark off 2 seconds later... Are you kidding me!!! So now it is late and we must find away to improvise.

The ducks are in the bathroom with the panel heater so that the over all room temp can be warmer. We have the thermometer leading outside of the door so that we can check the temp with out needing to disturb them. We had to set up a nightlight in the bathroom because they were scared in complete darkness. Eric woke up every two hours to check the temp.

The good news, it worked and everything went smoothly through the night.

The bad news, we can't go get a new set up until Saturday afternoon since Eric needs the car for work in Noosa, which is a little more than a 35 min drive from us, so I can't easily drop him off to use the car myself during the day because I also have work! Frustrating, but it is working and we are continually home so can check the situation regularly.

The ducklings meanwhile are happy, eating, and getting their baths. Yesterday they went in the shower instead and they seemed to enjoy that :) I was getting a little scared that one may hop out of the sink and the fall to the floor could be very serious indeed. So the shower is a bit safer especially since they are going to quickly grow up into fairly big birds. They could even walk themselves into the shower.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry to hear your havign trouble with equipment.

Ducks in the shower sounds adorable!!! :swoon: hint hint.... ;)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Zara just for you!
This evening they tried zucchini. So far they have tried: peas, pea shoots, capsicum, silverbeet, spinach, cos lettuce and carrot. I also gave them some tinnie tiny bits of salmon this afternoon. Probably less than a gram, just a taste for the salmon anyway.
IMG_20200703_202535.jpg
IMG_20200703_202548.jpg
IMG_20200703_202604.jpg
MVIMG_20200703_202641.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You can watch them grow! Already nearly twice the size from when we brought them home.

Also they are needing even MORE cleaning! duckies love putting all the water into their bed!

MVIMG_20200706_091738.jpg IMG_20200706_091739_1.jpg IMG_20200706_091740.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:swoon: Soooo cute!

Do they follow you around?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
:swoon: Soooo cute!

Do they follow you around?
They do a little bit. The other night after their 'before bed' bath they all waddled over and fell in my lap and fell asleep in a duckie pile. I was in love! They were nuzzling into my arm. It has been a little cold to let them walk around long. They also get tired from all the growing.

It was 5c here last night :(

Their day goes a bit like this.
  • Hear dad, wake up, all start peeping as loud as you can
  • Mum feeds and waters you, a little before 6 am
  • Make sure to splash 100% of the water (from the "safe" chick waterer) on the ground .. also eat all food
  • At 9 am need a bath because we also mucked around in the mess we created
  • Get a mini bath whilst we are changed
  • Sleep, recharge, continue to eat and splash
  • At 12 get a foraging bath with some greens and things to search for..
  • Make sure to splash around a lot!
  • Mum changes the bedding again.
  • Take a nap, then eat and splash
  • Always say hello to that furry dog type creature when he walks by, he could be our true dad!
  • Take a nap, splash some more
  • Before bed take another foraging bath, this time with even more peas!
  • Eat until your crop is about to pop!
  • Beg for cuddles, sleep
  • Mum changes bedding for the 3rd time!
I do not offer feed or water during the night. They just sleep as ducks do during the night anyway and I would rather they don't spill it everywhere and get too cold! They have a ceramic thermal lamp so they get darkness. They do have a nightlight though, because if they can't vaguely see their siblings to re-find the huddle, as they move around during the night, you wake to a panicked duckling who is just 10cm away from their siblings.