• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The dilemma with my cockatoo being selective with the kids

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Hi everyone.

I have my female umbrella cockatoo who is close to 8-9 years old. Her past is a mystery to me.
When my brother bought her she was 7 years old. I can guess someone bought her & returned her to the pet shop. :(

Even the vet confirmed her ring tag does not match her age & gave me an estimate of 8-9 years old.

Here what I’ve noticed with her.

She is very obsessed with all the kids 7-year-olds & below. But the sad part seeing her being selective toward my two nieces both aged 8 and she resorts to biting them very deep till they bleed. I hate locking her whenever she sees them. The two girls are terrified of her and I want to fix it .. but unsure what to do.
I’ve tried asking the girls to feed her while she’s inside her cage. She would reject taking the treats from them & puff up.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The two girls are terrified of her and I want to fix it .. but unsure what to do.
There is no real "fix"for this. They choose who they like and don't like. Your female is a very new "adult" meaning hormones are starting to dictate her behaviour amongst other things. Your long term success is going to boil down to all the humans learning/training to interact and handle (or not) this bird. This is not a bird to be handled by children.

Give this a read. It will explain the psychology behind what's going on with ways to approach things.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But the sad part seeing her being selective toward my two nieces both aged 8 and she resorts to biting them
I have a hen lovebird who acts like this, so I keep her caged when my 4 year old nephew visits. Would hate for him to get bit, and it´s not her fault. I´m sure to give her a new toy or something to keep her entertained while he´s here and she has to stay inside.