• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the calling of the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
I found recordings of wild scarlet fronted conures on the net and played a bit for Jacob to see the reaction. Well Jacob started immediately to contact call and reaching for the window to see if he could see the birds. I felt rather guilty after wards because I had to sit with him for the longest time near the window while he looked and looked but of course there were no conures, only sea gulls :(

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Thanks for sharing

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe poor Jacob...I have some of the DVDs and they are great.

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
maybe Jacob would like another conure around for a friend..hmmmm???;)

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Aw, that's sad, but cute. There are two really awesome DVDs that are totally wild parrot footage. Lots of Conures in the first one. They are the Pollyvision DVDs by the World Parrot Trust. Pollyvision I is the favorite here because it has loads of conures and macaws in it. World Parrot Trust - Saving Parrots Worldwide The birds really enjoy listening to the sounds and watching the birds fly and interact.
Awe poor Jacob...I have some of the DVDs and they are great.
I've read about these dvds but Jacob always gets so worked up when he sees and hears other parrots on the tv or my computer. Maybe it would just be a reminder of that he doesn't have a birdie friend? :(

maybe Jacob would like another conure around for a friend..hmmmm???;)
:) I want to get another bird sometime down the line. Right now I have my hands full with training Jacob and our appartment can't fit another big cage like Jacob has. But when we buy our own place it will have to have space for another bird... or two :p

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have a dvd from buying my aviator harness. They love it, especially Cochise. I let him listen to sound files of wild Hawkheads that Jill posted,not sure whether I could say he liked them or not, but he definitely had a reaction. Seeing his own reflection makes him crazy. How does Jacob act if he sees himself?

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I have a dvd from buying my aviator harness. They love it, especially Cochise. I let him listen to sound files of wild Hawkheads that Jill posted,not sure whether I could say he liked them or not, but he definitely had a reaction. Seeing his own reflection makes him crazy. How does Jacob act if he sees himself?
Oh he loves his reflection. He has a Talk n' play phone in his cage which has a mirror on it and it's his best friend. He often sits in the bathroom on the shelf in front of the mirror and hangs out with the bird that lives there. After dark he sits on the windowsill and has a good conversation with his buddy there. He talks to his stainless steel food bowls. Basically everything that reflects... :rolleyes:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis

:rofl::rofl:That is cute, we need pics or better..video!!!:p
When we got Jacob he came with a tiny cage and a big play stand. The play stand has two stainless steel food bowls. When I got home Jacob had always lifted the bowls so they tilted in the cup holders. At first I thought he was a clever bird and did this so it would be easier to eat from the bowls. But then I realized it was just so he could see his reflection better and sit next to his buddy in the food bowl. :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.