• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The call you get when you are a 'bird person'.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A friend of mine called me this afternoon. He and his wife and family go to my church. Anyway...

It's the kind of call that I have read about here: "I know you are a bird person and there's a parakeet needing a home. I don't suppose you'd like another bird?"

Well, I don't think I'll be able to take on this bird as a permanent resident, but the backstory is that this little budgie was owned by an elderly lady whose family found her deceased this morning. The family already has dog, cat, children, and can't take on the budgie long term. I provided my friend with a list of questions I would need answered before I or anyone else would probably want to take on a new bird.

Age, sex, history, prior vet care, diet, cage, handleability, etc. Oh, and photos (1 or 2) please. Since it is the start of the school year, and they are planning for their mother's (in-law's) service etc., I am telling my friend that I would be willing to foster the budgie in the mean time.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I received another text while I was typing up that post. It appears to be a female budgie. She's in a small-ish cage with just mirror ball toys and wooden dowel perches, but it looks clean. We'll see what happens.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh that's so sad poor little one. I do hope she's able to find a wonderful home.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh that is sad for the family and for the bird too. I hope you can assist the family to find this poor little fluffbutt a new loving person.

Winn

Jogging around the block
It's a difficult situation to be thrown into. Have you considered temporarily fostering this bird while maybe trying to find it a permanent home through the "Rehome Highway" here?

My condolences to the family... My sympathy to both you and the birdie.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a difficult situation to be thrown into. Have you considered temporarily fostering this bird while maybe trying to find it a permanent home through the "Rehome Highway" here?

My condolences to the family... My sympathy to both you and the birdie.
Yes, as mentioned above I have offered to foster the budgie in the mean time. I plan on mentioning the Rehoming thread here, but I would need the family’s permission to do so.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are two reasons I haven’t simply adopted this little female from the family. I don’t want to have an odd number of budgies again. When Kuiper came home, he and Juju became fast friends leaving Jelly out of the fun. So I would need to adopt another budgie to make it a flock of four.

Plus, I’m still having trouble finding regular, reliable bird care for when I travel. I have two work trips coming up in the next six months that will have me out of town for more than a week each. Adding yet another bird (and I would need to make it 2 birds) to the mix will make that even harder, I think.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very kind of you to help out during such a sad time. I hope the little budgie ends up in a wonderful home with osmeone who will love her :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear about the elderly lady. May she rest in eternal peace. :sorrow:

As for the little budgie, thank you for potentially fostering her! It is my belief that people who welcome the pets of those who have gone before us receive a special blessing from heaven.

I know what you mean about exotic pet sitting. Talk about a nightmare. I got my brother to come. Everyone non-sketchy is like cats & dogs only. Even the PetSmart PetsHotel only takes cats & dogs - seriously hypocritcal given the vast array of other species they sell.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I get offered a lot of chinchillas and guinea pigs... :lol:

Very kind of you to help out. Sometimes that little stepping stone to a new home makes all the difference :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get offered a lot of chinchillas and guinea pigs... :lol:

Very kind of you to help out. Sometimes that little stepping stone to a new home makes all the difference :)
Chinchillas are such fun! Lol!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So glad you are able to step up and foster this one - and so glad they found her before it was too late, my biggest fear!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So thankful they found you.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a question for those of you who understand budgie mutations.

I think this budgie is a recessive pied. What colors are expressed in the ceres of these birds?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I have a question for those of you who understand budgie mutations.

I think this budgie is a recessive pied. What colors are expressed in the ceres of these birds?
My boy Mark has a cute pink cere.
I have yet to get that call. I would have a hard time saying no.