• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the budgies are here! am I on the right track?

JKate

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
So I'm very very excited because after wanting some budgies for years I finally have a lovely little flock of four. 2 boys and 2 girls. All under 6 months and aviary raised. They are in a 1.8m by 1.4m by 0.85m outdoor aviary with birch, eucalyptus, and apple tree perches. They also have some toys, swings and a mineral block do I need to add cuttlefish as well as a mineral block?
I'm giving them chop in the morning and pellets in the evening, because they where previously on an all seed diet I'm mixing seeds into the chop and making the pellets into a mash then mixing seeds in, they are eating both the chop and the pellets and I'm slowly reducing the amount of seeds I mix in. I was really surprised how easy its been to get these guys hand tame, both the boys will already step up for millet and you can hand feed the girls. I'm hoping to start bringing them inside to fly around soon but I want to make sure they are confident stepping onto my hand first as well as happy for me to put a hand over them to bring them inside.
Am I on the right track? is there anything I should be doing different? I just want these guys to be happy and healthy. So far these guys seem super confident, happily using the whole aviary including seeing if they can find any dropped millet on the floor. They even sometimes fly up to the sides as you walk by, normally in the morning as I get them their breakfast.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Mineral blocks don't do much more than a good diet would so aren't worth worrying about (gypsum is not a dietary requirement). Cuttlefish bones are not a good source of calcium but do make a great grooming aid so yes to one of them.
:needpics:

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sound like your on the right track!

I would advise to get a small cage ti transport them because I know from experience that a budgie you're holding can easily slip out of your hands.
(Kiwi is a sneaky budgie :roflmao: He had a sizeable clump of poo stuck to his leg band once and he didn't cooperate while I was cleaning it off :rolleyes:)

JKate

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
962AE831-A7D1-4FF2-9D41-BE5A94F8A361.jpeg
From left to right Astrid, Jerry, BB, with Timothy eating in the back ground.
3BD4E3BA-2331-4A8B-9A61-34A50CFF89BB.jpeg
Jerry and Timothy having a nap inside
. 42959432-9491-486C-90A1-9F97CB448C73.jpeg
Side view of the Avery, I put the small travel cage in the bottom so they can get a bit more comfortable with it

They‘ve nearly finished 3 teaspoons of chop I mixed in a teaspoon of seeds to get them interested but they are eating all the fruit, vege, and grains. Also all four of them are eating pellets without seeds now!

JKate

Moving in
Real Name
Kate
Mineral blocks don't do much more than a good diet would so aren't worth worrying about (gypsum is not a dietary requirement). Cuttlefish bones are not a good source of calcium but do make a great grooming aid so yes to one of them.
:needpics:
Ok cool I’ll add one in when I can find a holder for some, do I need to be adding calcium to their diet?

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Ok cool I’ll add one in when I can find a holder for some, do I need to be adding calcium to their diet?
Just offer things like brocolli and kale in their chop