• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Bird Store - Miami, FL

Emeraldxo

Sitting on the front steps
Has anyone had any experience with this aviary? They are called the bird store. They are online from Miami Florida. I am thinking of purchasing a bird from them but I am skeptical. I didn’t have good luck the last time I purchased a bird online so I am a bit nervous. Their prices are reasonable which is why I am researching them. When I looked at the testimonials it looks like they have a store called Macaws and Parrot store. I looked on yelp and don’t see any negative reviews or nothing on BBB. But, I think I noticed a couple of red flags. There is an instant messenger that pops up and says that customer service is ready to answer any questions 24/7. Well, that’s exactly what I did and nobody answered my questions. I tried it a few times and nothing. Red flag number 2: I emailed them to ask questions and the response I got back was how how many ways to pay them. I emailed them twice. Same thing happened. What do you all think? Any one who has had any experience with them I would appreciate feedback. Their website is below if you are curious. Birds for sale - Exotic birds for sale
Thanks!

Attachments

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Call the Better Business Bureau and see if they have a listing for them

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The only store I would trust online is one that actually has a physical location and the one that sticks with me is ParrotStars -https://www.parrotstars.com/default.asp . They'd recently (in the past year or so) opened a store in Arlington Heights, IL, where I used to live but their breeding program is in Florida. I'd visited their store several times and interacted with an absolutely gorgeous female Palm cockatoo; her story was that she had been bred to be part of their breeding program but wanted absolutely nothing to do with any males she met or anything to do with breeding. She'd let you scritch her head and in fact would lower her head for you to scritch her. When you did, the feathers on her face covering her pink skin would gently fold away so you got the complete effect. Beautiful, beautiful big girl BUT, the one big BUT was that she definitely preferred men. She would drop me like a hot potato for scritches with my eldest son when I took him to visit the store; she'd been on a perch in front of me, saw him, lifted up her head and moved to perches over to sit in front of him where she promptly lowered her head for scritches.

My largest bird is a Sun conure along w/tiels, Quakers and gccs and James has never been a bird person but I think the Black Palm converted him. He was duly impressed and in total awe. I believe @d_msparkles got her beautiful gcc from them and we were able to get @Macawnutz to the store just before she had a medical appointment.

I also like them because it was a bird only store, it was spotless and so were all the cages and food/water bowls considering that parrots don't usually leave clean things clean for long. They also sold fresh chop that they made as well as nuts and other foods. They were also educational, had classes and didn't just sell a bird right off. Their requirement was that once you had chosen a bird you had to wait a couple of weeks to take it home. During that time, the chosen bird was separated and you would visit it w/whoever else was part of the family and everyone had to learn how to handle it, what to feed it, the right size cage and recommendations for toys.

They weren't cheap but they had a contract the buyer would have to sign in order to take one of their birds home; a bird could be returned but there were several requirements to a return. One of the "vendors" @ the local bird fair had bought one of their birds and wanted to return it; she'd bad mouthed them to me saying that they wanted her to pay to return it. So, being the (ahem) direct person I am and being an acquaintance of the store manager's mother I asked about it. Part of the contract signed when buying one of their birds covered returns; the former buyer would get their purchase price back minus the cost of a complete avian exam and a quarantine period (in a separate building) after quarantine was over. I'll also add that the so-called "vendor" in question had shown up @ the local bird fair with 2 Queen of Bavaria conures which was was not banded and should have been since they are protected. She'd claimed a Mexican relative had brought them to her.

I have photos taken at the store if you're interested.

Emeraldxo

Sitting on the front steps
I have 2 sun conures and 1 green cheek conure. They are my babies. I am looking to add to my family. I recently had an Indian ringneck but I recently had to have her humanely euthanized because she was ill. I bought her from an Aviary online whom I choose to unname because I do not want to have unwelcomed opinions about them. When I contacted them, they told me there was nothing they could do because I didn’t purchase the 60 day warranty. I was enraged, disgusted, cheated and also saddened that I only had one month with my bird.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have to apologize as I'm having trouble resizing my photos and had to take a break around noon. we drove down to Melbourne, FL, to visit Fred's eldest son and his family f/a belated Christmas. I'll be working on them tomorrow or die trying I got PO'd).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Some very special ekkies that I doubt I would see anywhere else - blue mutation. The light grey & blue is the female for a mere $19,000 and the beautiful all blue male is another mere $23,000. I have gold foi champagne taste and a bottled water pocketbook.

IMAG1477.jpg
IMAG1478.jpg IMAG1481.jpg

So if you thought the female was striking, this is the male

IMAG1479.jpg IMAG1480.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The very beautiful macaw and some more pix of the Black Palm girl

IMAG1475.jpg IMAG1476.jpg

What I had forgotten to mention was their entryway @Emeraldxo . The front of the store facing the street is behind the macaw and on the left you can see the counter where the cash register is located. You can barely see an overhead light and what looks like glass farther back and that is part of the entryway. There is a glassed in entrance hall which is glassed of from the store which allows maybe 2 people inside it. As you walk in you have no alternative but to walk across a very large doormat which is doused with disinfectant and there is a small stand with hand sanitizer. Before you are allowed to enter the store the staff makes sure that you have both walk across the mat and used the sanitizer. I've watched them send people back out to use the sanitizer if they haven't.

They had a meltdown one time I was there because a lady showed up with her bird for grooming and almost made it into the store before she was stopped and asked to go round the side of the building to the grooming entrance.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
And the last of the pix - I couldn't resist posting more of the Black Palm. If you look closely though you'll notice that the pink skin on her face is covered. Once you started scritching her head and crest, her facial feathers would gently fold away showing the pink skin (look at the first pix of her for comparison). Oh, to have the $25,000 for this beautiful girl! :heart: :heart:

IMAG1484.jpg IMAG1485_BURST001.jpg

IMAG1485_BURST002_COVER.jpg

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Some very special ekkies that I doubt I would see anywhere else - blue mutation. The light grey & blue is the female for a mere $19,000 and the beautiful all blue male is another mere $23,000. I have gold foi champagne taste and a bottled water pocketbook.

View attachment 324864
View attachment 324865 View attachment 324868

So if you thought the female was striking, this is the male

View attachment 324866 View attachment 324867
Hubby totally fell in love with the male Ekkie when we went to ParrotStars. He is a bit out of our price range but is beyond beautiful!! We really liked the store, they seem to care about the birds and their well being. If we ever get a friend for Jenks we will try to adopt but if we were to purchase a bird from a store it would probably be from ParrotStars.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I was wondering about the pink skin on the balm palm.... I understand that it's supposed to be red and if it's not, there could be some deficiency. Could be completely wrong though.

What an awesome looking store!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Wow... I really hope to get up there at some point. I looked online and I don't think I'd be able to afford their prices but they certainly seem like they are really invested in caring for the birds, I admire that.

We have a store down here, Chicago Bird House in Orland Park. I go there a lot. They do sell birds but mostly board and sell supplies. The staff are always running back and forth with clean bowls and fresh food, they also have a baby room (you can look inside through the glass). One day I hope to get a gcc, it'll probably be from there. They have a cockatoo named Ben right now, he's really young (like 5 years old I think?) but he has a history of being abused by a man, so he screams if there's a man in the store for more than a few minutes. Poor baby boy, I hope someone gives him a good home. They also have a female ekkie, she's quite the talker! She likes to talk to my dad, lol. She just goes and goes. And we love to look at the gccs- I've fallen head over heels for the little clowns. They are just so sweet.

There's also Windy City Parrot, they're out in Lowell now (used to be in Chicago). I've been past there and hope to go there soon.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Wow... I really hope to get up there at some point. I looked online and I don't think I'd be able to afford their prices but they certainly seem like they are really invested in caring for the birds, I admire that.

We have a store down here, Chicago Bird House in Orland Park. I go there a lot. They do sell birds but mostly board and sell supplies. The staff are always running back and forth with clean bowls and fresh food, they also have a baby room (you can look inside through the glass). One day I hope to get a gcc, it'll probably be from there. They have a cockatoo named Ben right now, he's really young (like 5 years old I think?) but he has a history of being abused by a man, so he screams if there's a man in the store for more than a few minutes. Poor baby boy, I hope someone gives him a good home. They also have a female ekkie, she's quite the talker! She likes to talk to my dad, lol. She just goes and goes. And we love to look at the gccs- I've fallen head over heels for the little clowns. They are just so sweet.

There's also Windy City Parrot, they're out in Lowell now (used to be in Chicago). I've been past there and hope to go there soon.
As I said, gold flake champagne taste with a bottled water pocketbook. :broke:

What a shame about the young 'too, I hope he finds a really good forever home. At least looking doesn't cost anything.