• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Beauty of a Kestrel

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I love this bird's beauty and life of a Falcon. One of my many trips to Colorado my daughter and I were watching one watching us. We were looking through glass doors and he was watching the small birds at the feeder. There was one bird that was not doing so well in the deep snow and Kestrel saw this bird immediately and swooped down and grabbed his meal. Here are two photos. One of them shows him as he wings were spread out catching the tiny siskin bird and the other was taken when he was finished his meal sitting calmly in the top of a tree. kesterel.JPG kest 2.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The wing span itself was so wide i could not believe what i was seeing. The kestrel picked most all feathers off the dead bird before he started eating.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I saw a kestrel hanging in midair off the Dorset coast last summer when I was in England. After what seemed like 5 minutes, the kestrel swooped downwards and grabbed something from the tall grass below. I was so impressed!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Nice shots, I bet that was exciting to watch.
I watched four or five kites all doing the dive on something in the neighbors yard yesterday and even though I have no idea what they were diving for it was so exciting to see them move like that, their skills are amazing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What amazed me is how the Kestrel knew which bird was the weakest. Pine Siskin are very small. Also it was not much of a meal. But it was mid winter and snow everywhere. We were standing close enough to touch him when he swooped down and i think he must have known we were behind glass.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What incredible shots! Gorgeous!

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
A little bird with so much power. They really are amazing birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When you see a Kestrel close up they are really not so little.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
More info on a Kestrel.

Soaring high with some more American Kestrel Facts....American Kestrels nest in cavities, although they lack the ability to excavate their own. They rely on old woodpecker holes, natural tree hollows, rock crevices, and nooks in buildings and other human-built structures. The male searches for possible nest cavities. When he’s found suitable candidates, he shows them to the female, who makes the final choice. Typically, nest sites are in trees along wood edges or in the middle of open ground. American Kestrels take readily to nest boxes.
American Kestrels do not use nesting materials. If the cavity floor is composed of loose material, the female hollows out a shallow depression there. (photo by Christopher Ciccone)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is the coloring book artist version of a Kestrel. This is a photo of his drawing he colored himself. Soon to be released in one of his majestic grayscale coloring books.

kestrel (2).png