• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Backstory of Our Dogs

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
“Shh, don’t tell Mama that I am actually cuddling with that other lady that is always in my spot...” :shh:

8B6712D4-D9C6-44E2-AA2D-C895E6ADD05C.jpeg

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here’s a video of Sai taken playing with a new friend (Mercury and Ouji make cameos.) That’s about as close to fetch as you’ll ever get with a greyhound! His “run” is a lazy gallop in the video as he had already been running, playing, and swimming for like an hour leading up to this. I put him back on his leash not long after this because he needed a break and he would’ve just kept going. That’s Sai for you. :rolleyes:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
“Mom, it’s so boring when you bring me to work. Why is this always where you take me?!” :kickcan:

4573892A-2437-4360-A4FE-88BF150794CE.jpeg

Spoiler: My boy doesn’t usually like hanging out with people, so working with me on the weekend it is!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Even when they're doing nothing.... they are a photographic beauty.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I agree...they are such photogenic dogs. :) I will never understand how some people could think of them as ugly! :confused:
I've never heard someone refer to them as ugly. I think they are "artistic" in so many ways even when cuddled up they look like a beautiful pile of long legs and soulful faces..

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had a terrible weekend. The wife made a very bad decision when bringing the dogs in and tossed Ouji onto the porch. When he landed, he broke his other front leg. :sad2: All I heard was him screaming, and I knew. Let’s just say Words Were Had and she was pretty sure she wouldn’t live to see the dawn. :nocomment:

Fortunately, he has had his surgery now. He just needs to be kept out of trouble for at least 8 weeks, and needs constant direct supervision for at least the first 2.

0D987D34-6FCA-4A5D-BEDE-9ACB4379ED04.jpeg

3CFF656D-D3C0-4263-9B01-4F41D74919BA.jpeg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Poor little guy. Sending doggy hugs his way. :bluhug:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no, poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon, and that his recovery is swift and uncomplicated.

Whenever I see my colleague's Italian Greyhound, I always marvel at how delicate her legs are. I'm sorry to hear that they're as fragile as they look :(

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Oh poor little buddy, I'm so sorry. I hope he heals quickly and isn't too terribly sore.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no, poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon, and that his recovery is swift and uncomplicated.

Whenever I see my colleague's Italian Greyhound, I always marvel at how delicate her legs are. I'm sorry to hear that they're as fragile as they look :(
Thank you. Yes, very much so. They’re like tiny deer, and their legs are quite long. For the first 18 months of their lives, you’re supposed to prevent them from jumping down from couches, et cetera because of the risk to their legs. Ouji’s legs seem stronger than those of some other Italian greyhounds as his breakages were from mishaps and not just jumping down from the couch or something similar. Heck, he started pogo jumping in place when he was a puppy! Then he would run at you, leap up, and kangaroo kick you before bouncing away. He’s truly fearless.

They are really wonderful dogs, I just wish someone could breed a little more strength into those twigs. :(

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I always think Agatha looks like a mouse crossed with a deer! Have you ever seen a dik-dik? The resemblance is uncanny.

And yes - they're so graceful and elegant, but I think that delicacy is coming at the expense of their health.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I always think Agatha looks like a mouse crossed with a deer! Have you ever seen a dik-dik? The resemblance is uncanny.

And yes - they're so graceful and elegant, but I think that delicacy is coming at the expense of their health.
Lol yes, you’re right! They do resemble those, and even other creatures in part, so much.

I agree. I suppose since they were originally bred to be companions for royalty, they weren’t expected to be particularly robust, but less delicate would be good! They are generally pretty healthy in other ways. I often hear of them living to 16-17 years old.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Humans have a bad habit of exaggerating characteristics in dogs (and other animals) far beyond what is healthy for the dog. A dog should be able to lead an active, healthy life without suffering a broken leg just from jumping down from something.