• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Backstory of Our Dogs

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I love Greyhounds! They're absolutely beautiful and they have the most amazing faces!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a greyhound tucked into his personal twin bed...

DC5DCD59-78C8-4AA5-99A0-6FC20CFB7005.jpeg

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are so cute! A friend adopted a grey hound recently, she had been kept in a paddock with no human interaction besides being fed each day for 5 years. :crycry::sad8::no:
They’re wonderful dogs no matter what they’ve been through - in spite of it, even. Your friend’s greyhound will open up and recover given time.

Our guys from the Canidrome in China were isolated and deprived for years, yet they’re very gentle and loving. It amazes us that they can give such love - something they were never given before coming here.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
They’re wonderful dogs no matter what they’ve been through - in spite of it, even. Your friend’s greyhound will open up and recover given time.

Our guys from the Canidrome in China were isolated and deprived for years, yet they’re very gentle and loving. It amazes us that they can give such love - something they were never given before coming here.
It amazes me to, they are just such gentle creatures.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@eliza45 I would recommend starting a new thread with your question so more people will see it. Here is the section for dog-related stuff Bark Park

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are these orthopedic beds? Can you mention its brand? I have too many little puppies. and I'm looking best for them. Can you suggest some Best Dog Beds?
It’s memory foam fill, but the beds hold up well. I got them from Sam’s for $20 - a phenomenal value.

DF35FF68-A776-4BB0-B147-5277BAE09E2A.jpeg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
i do love a greyhound!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Gorgeous! Little super heroes indeed!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I missed sharing with you guys that Elsa actually laid on me of her own volition! :jawdrop1: Before she did so, she came over and staaaared into my face for at least 30 seconds. Naturally we were trying to watch a movie at the time, lol, but when Princess Bunny wants your attention, you give it!

I stroked her head and spoke to her, and after a bit of that, she laid down with her head and paws on me. She only stayed for a little while as she couldn’t seem to get comfortable even after shifting around. She’s so adorably awkward.

FB15B27B-687E-4F60-8DF1-E9175B047987.jpeg

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
It's so wonderful to see how happy and comfortable they all are in your home - Looks like your little hero healed great too!
Rescue-cuddles :heart: And such polite ones too, I can really see why you are drawn to those breeds if you don't like 'overwhelming' dogs.

I love my Zeus, he's a good boy, but wow is he bad at laps. Just the most awkward creature to ever try and get his entire body cradled on you and as soon as he's hot (which doesn't take long, he has a fur coat like a sea otter) he launches himself off (ow.)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's so wonderful to see how happy and comfortable they all are in your home - Looks like your little hero healed great too!
Rescue-cuddles :heart: And such polite ones too, I can really see why you are drawn to those breeds if you don't like 'overwhelming' dogs.
Well everyone gets as much time as they need to adjust and relax. Our lives revolve around our animals. :heart: Ouji is using his leg and building it up again, so we’re happy about that. He refused until that cast was off.

I love how polite these guys are! Something I have never enjoyed about dogs was that ‘overwhelming’ quality. But greyhounds are perfect for me.

I love my Zeus, he's a good boy, but wow is he bad at laps. Just the most awkward creature to ever try and get his entire body cradled on you and as soon as he's hot (which doesn't take long, he has a fur coat like a sea otter) he launches himself off (ow.)
Lol, that’s so funny! Ours only drape half of their bodies on us at most, except for the tiny one. He curls his whole body up on us wherever he can. The greys are so disgruntled when they find he has beaten them to a lap! :D

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of the pups are NOT fond of fireworks. So I was the human cuddle post last night for reassurance. :D My fawn boy was first up, and my girl stole the wife’s seat when she got up - whoops!! Italian greyhound is permanent lap accessory no matter what.

The sparkly bunny princess that steals spots with no remorse:

1E9E0061-CD99-4BDF-BDD4-EDEB9CC40C97.jpeg

Obviously so tormented by guilt after the wife asked her how she could commit such a heinous act:

7A36BF32-D7DD-4154-BD99-03FB3909BAE5.jpeg

And my sweet soul pony along with the perpetual lap blanket of iggy cuteness:

7036C825-DD7B-45CD-8CD0-7DDFBF9EFA2D.jpeg

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My JJ sometimes thinks he is a bad-a$$ boy. He was lying in bed with me yesterday (wife had to leave early for work), and she dragged and rearranged him at least 3 times to make room for her dog. The 3rd or 4th time, he growled at her because he was done being messed with while lying down, especially by her! (Sometimes I think he’s convinced she’s just in his way! :meh: Out of all the dogs, he is the only moody, attitude-copping one, but I didn’t blame him there.)

I put a hand on the back of his neck and told him to be nice, and he stopped. Favorite mama’s word is (now) law. He’s a wonderful boy, but I don’t think he would’ve been good at a house with kids at all. He is not always “tolerant” of being messed with. I say that, but he has never bitten or tried to bite, even when scared, or startled out of sleep.

Greyhounds that were brought up to race are not used to being touched when lying down or sleeping. They typically come off the track having known nothing of living with a family or being poked and prodded by members of the household at odd times. And nothing is theirs, which I personally think may contribute to resource-guarding behavior later, especially in fearful, insecure dogs. If a dog stops racing at 5 or 6, that’s almost half his life that things have been that way. They do adapt, but some of them are like JJ - more alpha, more willing to growl when they dislike something, etc. It was something even I had to work on with him when he would sleep with me in bed or lie on me on the couch.

But I knew that about him the first night or two that we had him when I was sitting next to him on his dog bed and startled him with some movement I made (plus other dogs were rough-housing very close to him). He whipped around and growled. I told him “NO” and he looked confused and also like he understood that I was saying it wasn’t good. My wife asked, “Do you still want him? Are you sure about this?” And I immediately responded, “Yes, even if I get bitten.” I knew then that I loved him and would be there for him, work through anything with him. I don’t commit lightly.

Greyhounds that have been brought up to race are not like other dogs that have been raised as pets, but that shouldn’t be held against them. They’re wonderful dogs. We only have two that are prone to sleep-startle — JJ and Sai. The two would-be doggy alphas. The others have no issues in that area, though the sweet bunny princess was a major resource-guarder when we first got her (I’m sure I’ve talked about that.) She would snarl at the others and bare those long fangs like a wolf! And growled at us when we had to take away something she shouldn’t have. She’s so much better now, so much less scared.

They’re intelligent, sensitive, intuitive dogs, so they understand quickly. They’re also stubborn and independent, so understanding does not always equal immediate compliance, even in the tiny one. :roflmao: They’re a bit like birds in that way.

Rambled on enough!

Last edited: