• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Backstory of Our Dogs

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
CD1CFFD0-7EC1-4B4C-8BF3-4D950B08FF35.jpeg

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
OMG :rofl:
And I thought her sad deer face in the previous picture was pitiful.

When we had to cone Axel after he impaled himself on a metal rod at my parent's house chasing a cat he did better in one of those inflated rings but I don't know how well they would work for the floppy giraffe. Axel is a longboy so it was enough to keep him away from his flank staples. (in his cone, when he came back to my house he immediately got "stuck" on a doorway then just stood there waiting for the sweet release of death. And continued to get stuck on every single thing he walked by as I un-stook him, he was going out of his way to make a scene to be sure I knew he was miserable. He hated the Doughnut of Shame too but survived.)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ankou Tell me you wouldn’t be laughing at that poor little giraffe. :D We just laughed harder at the lookI’m not sure an inflated ring would work for him as he has a very long neck!

Aww, Axel! :laughing2: Such a polite resignation! I think I mentioned it on this thread, but when Sai wore a cone, he just rammed it into everything - very unlike Axel! Then he would wail at us in the night like a dementor to Remove The Cone. :rolleyes:

You took such good care of mischievous Axel. Has he calmed down at all, or is he still a troublemaker?

I’m glad we already have our Italian greyhound, because while they’re ordinarily a bit difficult to find, it has become much harder with the Covid dog rush.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
He's less of a troublemaker than he was, but he's still a turd. If I'm not feeling well and able to keep The Very Important Puppy entertained he gets a "Hmm, I think I will cause problems for fun" look and all bets are off. When I am able to actually meet his exercise and enrichment needs he could almost be confused for a good dog. One of the best things I was able to teach him was "okay, game over!" means we aren't 'playing' anymore and he'll reset for about 15 minutes so that gives me a chance to choose an activity I actually want him to do.
I love it honestly, his latest thing is to get me (as gently as possible with a dog his size) scoop his legs out from under him and dump him onto his side so I can push him around the slick kitchen floor.

So glad to hear the stitches are out! Hopefully it is healed enough that means no cone (and a good nights' rest for everyone!)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our brindle boy Sai is having some mysterious leg swelling issues this week and is limping a lot. The swelling gets worse when he’s standing, even though he’s barely using that leg. Not sure if he somehow aggravated an old injury or if it’s something more concerning.

He has been to the vet and we’ve been given antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for him, but so far I haven’t seen any real improvement (2 days with meds) and will be bringing him back in. We are hoping it isn’t anything serious, but we’re getting very nervous. Please keep him in your thoughts.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet says he thinks Sai’s leg has improved a little. :huh: He feels pretty confident that it’s some kind of trauma/injury. Different meds for Sai this morning to see if the inflammation will go down. If no luck after this, we’ll move to x-rays and bloodwork.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In other news, JJ almost gave me a heart attack earlier by trying to choke to death. He was eating fast like he always does, and had just finished when he was suddenly not okay. He just froze and even before he started foaming at the mouth it was obvious to me that he couldn’t breathe at all and was in severe distress. Wife had to do doggy Heimlich a few times before he was able to dislodge this huge lump of food and breathe again. Naturally he wanted to eat again after he was able to breathe. :confused: Scared the hell out of me.

AD668AB1-E9CA-4970-880D-17D37510D307.jpeg

1. Lift the dog up off the ground, pulling him against you with his spine pressed against your chest.
  2. Wrap your arms around the dog at his waistline.
  3. Make a fist with one hand and place it just behind his last rib – wrap your other hand around the fist.
  4. Push in and up with your hands in 5 quick thrusting motions.
  5. Open the dog’s mouth to check for the foreign object and remove it, if possible.
  6. If you cannot remove the object, lift the dog and turn him upside down then sweep your finger into the mouth again to dislodge the object.
  7. If the object remains stuck, place your dog over your lap (or stand him in front of you) and administer 5 sharp blows with your open hand to the dog’s back between his shoulder blades.
  8. Open the dog’s mouth and check again for the object – remove it by hand, if possible.
  9. Repeat this procedure until the object becomes dislodged or your dog falls unconscious.
  10. If your dog falls unconscious, administer 5 rescue breaths and repeat the 5 abdominal thrusts, continuing the pattern until the object is dislodged.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mr. Brindle Pirate dog, aka Sai, is at the vet’s today to get some more testing done. He continues to worry us with his swollen leg. The other started to swell last night as well and he continues having urinary incontinence issues, even when there’s hardly anything in his little bladder. We’re doing x-rays, aspiration and testing of the fluid in his leg, bloodwork, urinalysis, etc.

I hope they figure out what is going on with this poor guy. He can’t even get up and down from the couch on his own anymore. Yet he is still such a sweet, happy, friendly guy. We know he has to be in pain and we’re medicating him for it, but still. The vet tech was worried about his reaction if she surprised or hurt him by palpating his leg, but I was like, “You‘re fine, he’s just going to stand there.” I know people say that about their dogs all the time, but this boy has never growled or shown the slightest bit of inclination to react aggressively to a person, pain or not. I would gladly hold any of our dogs without concern, but Sai especially. Even when they do x-rays, he doesn’t even need to be restrained or sedated. He just stays there.

I do know that the vet thinks it couldn’t possibly be heart failure, so there’s that. I do wonder about kidneys or something else, though.

Keep him in your thoughts, guys.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My thoughts are with him. I hope they can get to the bottom of the swelling and pain.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My thoughts are with him. I hope they can get to the bottom of the swelling and pain.
Thank you. :heart:

We spoke to the vet tonight and he has a couple of spots on the x-rays that concern him - on the liver and bladder (more obvious on the bladder). We will have to wait a couple of days for test results and further interpretations of the x-rays, but with our vet being concerned, it’s quite troubling. We’re trying to stay positive.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
They’re so cute. Stay positive! Hope it all works out.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This guy is always upbeat and positive. Nothing can stop him. He’s bossy and tells all the other dogs when they’re out of line or making too much noise. He always has to be in the middle of everything. Physically, he’s a tough-as-nails tank of a dog. Emotionally, he’s the biggest softy - and that’s the only thing he’ll cry about (his feels, ohhhh the feels).

Elsa has been seen wearing this pirate getup, but it’s actually the one Sai chose himself when we adopted him.

720B7987-CAAB-472A-ADE8-14F69A04F839.jpeg

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like these pictures of him and I don’t think I’ve shared them here. Isn’t he a handsome rogue? :xflove:

92B8E8A3-F0C5-466C-95A1-D85000619A9D.jpeg
32034280-B4F0-4468-9CA1-95EC491B75A9.jpeg

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sai is a handsome dude! I have everything crossed for him.